10 week old biting pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Mag44, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

Can anyone give me some tips on how to stop a 10 wk old lab from biting? I have scabs all up and down my arms from little razor like teeth, I know he just thinks he is playing and he doesn't realize he is hurting me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I have a ten-week old puppy, too, and she can be a little devil on occasion. She's a lot worse when at my parents' house (where she goes sometimes while I'm walking the adults) than when she's home, because there's nowhere to put her to calm down. At home, if she gets her crazy head on, I pop her in her pen with something to occupy her - her snuffle mat, her reward bone (https://www.battersea.org.uk/product/battersea-reward-bone), little treats hidden around and under her toys in the crate, or a stuffed kong.

I put aside sessions in the day specifically to teach her what level is acceptable, rather than it all being reactive. When she is biting gently, I tell her she's a good girl and stroke her tummy (which she loves), but if she gets too hard, I remove attention, as explained in the article. This puppy is far worse than my last one, who never grabbed at my clothing like this one does. If she grabs my clothes and won't let go for a toy, I just wait it out then praise her and give her a treat the second she lets go. I bought a whole load of cheap "disposable" clothes for wearing around the puppy! It's worse when she grabs my flesh and starts pulling or thrashing, as it's bloomin' painful, but she only does this when she's over-excited or over-tired, so I figure it's my fault for letting her get so far gone. I pick her up, which generally makes her let go - and at least prevents her putting her weight into pulling my hand apart - and then deposit her in her pen with one of the above activities. Sometimes I yelp, quite by accident (and pain!) as it doesn't make a jot of difference to her. Even at her worst, though, when it really hurts and she's drawing blood, it's still, as someone pointed out, just a little puppy and not a sabre-toothed tiger :D

Other than when she's riled up, she's definitely getting better by just being consistent.

4. Boogie

Please explain the reward Bone @snowbunny - does the pup 'open' the flap to get the treat out?

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, there are three little pockets - the picture on the right shows these (the dark blue bits). I pop a treat in each pocket. For the pup, I then just give it to her like that, and help her out where needed. For the older dogs, you roll it up and it's held closed with velcro, which the dogs have to work out how to unwrap and then get the treats out with their noses.

6. Boogie

I've ordered one - thanks :cool:

snowbunny likes this.