5am alarm clock

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Debs, May 7, 2014.

1. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

Re: 5am alarm clock

Lovely time of the morning!! Just wish I didn't have to see it.

For the past 3 days we have been putting Albert back into his crate and listening to the whining! I haven't given him his breakfast until 7.00 am either in the hope that he will get the message that there will be no food or fun n games until at least 7.00 am! This morning he whined for only 10 mins and that was really only mild protesting, before going back to sleep for 35 mins. Not enough for me to get any more sleep, but I think we may be making some progress!!

I'll update further if we make serious headway anytime soon, meanwhile it's the dog, the birds n me! Oh the joys!!!

Jan

2. gad

gad Guest

The joys :) bit like babies, they're all different aren't they? Sometimes no matter what you try.....

We were doing the 5:00am thing too, then moved his crate from the kitchen to the sitting room about a week a go. He's just over ten weeks now. The kitchen was lighter in the morning and the cats came and went, clattering in and out of the cat flap. We shut the living room door (we can still hear him from our bedroom) so no cats, it also has heavily lined curtains so very little light. I let him out about 11:30 (have to wake him for this excursion) and still carry him out and in to keep him from getting too awake - pop him in his crate and go to bed.

First night we did this, we woke at 7:00 in a panic, rushed downstairs to find Murphy sitting in his crate wagging his tail. No great rush to get out either. And it's been like that for almost a week now.

Funny little creatures aren't they!

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi we are now doing 6am!!! Wey hey!!!

Miss Maisie has decided she'd have a new routine this past week! Maisie is now waking at 4.40am (on the dot) for a wee/poop, then back to bed until 6am. It doesn't matter what time I have fed her, what time she went to bed, if she does a poo before bed or at 4.40am, she is now waking at 6am and needs to poop!

So things are looking better and perhaps over the next few weeks she might sleep a little longer? :eek:

4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I think of you all as I plod bleary eyed round the garden half asleep. Fingers crossed we get some sleepy pups soon. Keep me updated its great to know its not just me and the birds up at that time while the rest of the world and my family (and old dog) are snoring ;)

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looks like I have joined the 5am club! I hope it's very temporary!

Zaba, my friend's 12 month old black lab boy has come to stay. We got our labs at the same time so that we could dog sit for each other. We often go on walks together and Zaba and Tatze adore each other. I love to see them playing together.

He started barking at exactly 5am, so I immediately thought of all of you!

I ignored him 'till 6:30 then did what I did with Tatze when she was little but could hold her bladder. Went down, totally ignored him, did the washing, tidied the kitchen and let him out at 7am. I hope it will sink in that my presence doesn't mean big greetings or getting out of his crate 'till[size=14pt] I[/size] say!

Tatze didn't make a sound through all of this, good girl!

6. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Well done Tatze (it's only to be expected of you!). How long do you think it'll take to train your friend's dog ;D

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Good job Tatze, could you send the rule book over to Maisie please!!!!

All change here last night - bed at 11pm, and slept through until 6am! No 4.40am, hurrah! Wondering what tonight will bring! ;)

8. Elaineh

Elaineh Registered Users

Trishad - your post made me laugh as Nelson does the same. He is ready for bed at 10pm but if at the weekend we are watching a TV programme he flops in front of the TV in an exaggerated way as if to say, aren't you going to bed yet! So funny, his eyes are practically closed and then we dare to take him out for a pee. If hubby has to get up in the night he generally takes Nelson out too and so we sleep in a bit later but wake to a manic pup. All sounds so familiar.

9. Boogie

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=5811.msg83946#msg83946 date=1401608895]
    Well done Tatze (it's only to be expected of you!). How long do you think it'll take to train your friend's dog ;D
    [/quote]

Well, he is here for two weeks - so watch this space!

He was such a delight on our walk round the reservoir this morning - so all is forgiven ('till the next time!)

10. teapot57

Well Albert slept till 7.00 am this morning!!! I'm not counting my chickens yet though. Could have been because he didn't sleep at all during the day due to upset from worming meds! But on the plus side it's proof he can hold his bladder/bowels till then!

Good luck to all you 5.00am'ers. May it be very short lived....

Jan

11. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Whoop whoop teapot 7am wowee enjoy the lie in ! :)

12. Debs

Debs Registered Users

7am, major lie in! Well done Albertl long may it continue ;D ;D

13. teapot57

So fingers crossed for another 7am start. . :)

14. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Ooh I shall be straight on here for an update :)

15. Boogie

5am again today.

I did pretty much the same routine as yesterday - ignoring him 'till 6am then coming down and ignoring him again 'till 7am. I am here at the computer now and he is snoring away in his crate beside me! :mad:

Tomorrow I will try coming down, telling him to shut up, then going back again - maybe he is afraid he's been left all alone?

Once again Tatze has slept through it all :)

16. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Oh well Mags, Rome wasn't built in a day. I have a feeling those words will come back to bite me; I'll be dealing with new puppy just when you are getting back to your usual routine ;D

17. Boogie

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=5811.msg84291#msg84291 date=1401693847]
    Oh well Mags, Rome wasn't built in a day. I have a feeling those words will come back to bite me; I'll be dealing with new puppy just when you are getting back to your usual routine ;D
    [/quote]

They will, haha - they will!! ;D ;D they will!!

Never mind - it's practice for me for when the pup arrives!

I'm pretty sure it will be one of these (born 21st May) I think its name will begin with a 'K' as it's a 'K' litter. They are GR/lab cross - all the black ones are girls and all the yellow ones are boys!

[​IMG]

Here is Mummy :)

[​IMG]

18. teapot57

So another 7.00am start for Albert, and he was woken by me this time making a cuppa!

Still could be a fluke though. Day 3 of Panacur today, so the last of his off kilter days. Wormers definitely upset him, and he hardly sleeps through the day at all. I think I will go back to Drontal next month, which is only one dose, so only one 'off' day.

We shall see what time he wakes on Wednesday morning. But he may have got into the 7.00 habit by then (hopefully)

Jan

19. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Oh teapot the magic of panacur !! We are getting worse 440 wee then 540 poo then asleep till can't remember all a bit if a blur 6 something. Not her fault though she needed those breaks and did settle straight afterwards, shame I didn't ;)

20. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Same here Edp, so much for sleeping through until 6am :eek:. Up at 5 for wee/poop and then back again and tried to ignore the barking until 6.15. :'(