A Sad Story....But getting better

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Shandyboy, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Re: A Sad Story....But getting better

So sorry to hear about the latest incident. You are working so hard to help Shandy. Whatever decisions you make about the way forward I hope you get all the support you need.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My thoughts are with you John.

Just one thing - if you do make the difficult decision to have Shandy put to sleep, he will know nothing about it. He will not be afraid, or in pain. He will be with you, and if you can keep it together, for him it will just be a routine visit to the vet.

Sending you support and positive thoughts.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just to wish you both well John , we all know how much effort you have put into Shandy, my thoughts are with you too x

4. Shandyboy

Shandyboy Registered Users

Hi all, we have decided to keep Shandy. We are definately determined to show him love and care and hopefuly make his final years the very best he has had. When its time for him to close his eyes for the last time, all he will feel is us loving him.

We also realise that there is a huge responsibility to him, ourselves and the public at large. So, we have resolved now to walk him only with his muzzle on and on leash. When we take him for a swim it will be on a long line so I have full control.

He doesnt seem to mind the muzzle too much. I've had it on him a few times now and he seems to settle down quickly with it and is soon doing all his sniffing and other doggy things. In the house my wife is only patting him when I put the leash on. We will do this for a few weeks and watch to see how he responds. He is definately going to her more and now sleeps with his head practically on her feet at times.

We are now more determined to implement the training Mat Ward suggested. Its great to know that Mat is always there for advice as well. He is very generous when it comes to this so we are feeling confident to tackle the long and bumpy road ahead.

Thanks to everyones support and messages of hope............John

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi John, I think that the aporoach you describe, using the muzzle, leash and long line, is the best and only way to keep the situation safe (and safe for Shandy too). It will require vigilance on your part, but you are obviously very committed to making this work. It is excellent to hear that you will be maintaining communications with the behaviourist who is the one in the very best position to give you advice. I'm sure you and your wife have invested much time, thought, energy and emotion into this over the past few days especially. I sincerely wish you both, and Shandy, all the very best with this.

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I am so pleased at your news, though I would have understand totally if you had taken the other path.

I guess I am still just an old peace and love, vegetarian hippie at heart.

Poor Shandy, he was probably a Graduate from the 'hit them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper' school of thought.

Please keep in touch, even if you only PM me.

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I wish you lots of luck and happiness with shandy. You are making the right decision to use a muzzle lead and long line it will help keep things safe and if your more relaxed and not worrying about what might happen shandy will be more relaxed.

Take care and keep us up to date on shandy's progress. :)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good luck John, I really hope this works out well for you and your family, and that Shandy has a long and happy life. Please do keep in touch with us.

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am pleased you are continuing with Shandy. Do you think Shandy is unpredictable because of his previous life? If he now lives with love and concern for his wellbeing he may be able to relax and not believe he has to continually protect himself. I wish you the very best. Incidentally, I once met a dog with a muzzle on and found it very reassuring and not scary.

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I feel so relieved for Shandy and you - you have reached a monumental decision which he will benefit hugely from. Lucky boy, to have so much love and commitment at this stage of his life.
    We often meet a black Labrador in a muzzle. I haven't asked why, I just see it as part of the dog's walking paraphernalia.

11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Good luck, John. I hope your perseverance pays off. Shandy has obviously found the right home now, so with all the right precautions in place he has the best chance. Do keep us posted.

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

You have obviously thought long and hard about this decision and I wish you all the best

13. Shandyboy

Took Shandy for a walk in his muzzle and on a short lead today. I went to a place where I know there are many dogs. Well today we only came across one. Shandy reacted very well with sniffing and wanting to play around. The other dog was off leash and got really excited and strted to run around and around us. Shandy never growled or barked once. I felt so bad keeping him on the leash and muzzled but then we have to start installing real discipline into him.

His basic training in the yard went very well. Sit, wait,lie down and up was about 95%. However, when we get outside the yard he is distracted all the time and suddenly his commands drop to about 30%. Its early days I know but would appreciate any tips from the members.

Take care............John

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

A hard decision for you John. Hope you are able to stick to your plans and keep everyone safe.
    I know there are a lot more people around who are better to advise on your questions.
    I believe you need to take things stepwise and gradually proof in environments working your way up to the most exciting/scary. Very small steps at a time, and using lots of "strangers" to stage each step, moving slowly out of your yard into new places.
    Wishing you luck :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Shandyboy link=topic=10111.msg155034#msg155034 date=1428426665]
    His basic training in the yard went very well. Sit, wait,lie down and up was about 95%. However, when we get outside the yard he is distracted all the time and suddenly his commands drop to about 30%. Its early days I know but would appreciate any tips from the members.
    [/quote]

This is quite normal. There is an article here that might help:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/proofing-labrador-obedience/

If you are dropping to 30% you are asking too much with too many distractions. Also, try massively upping the value of your treats.

Have you thought about taking Shandy to a dog training class? If he goes with his muzzle on, and stays on lead, there is no reason not to go. I went to a class on Saturday mornings for a while, and there were a lot of rescue dogs - some had come a long, long way - and all of the rescue sight hounds wore muzzles, that's just the way it was. Safer all round.

16. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You could start introducing some distractions in your yard. It could be anything like you walking around, jumping up and down, waving your arms about, making silly noises, having family members doing all of those things. Those are all distractions but in the controlled environment of your yard. Only when you can get a very high success rate with your cues under those circumstances would I start proofing those cues outside. :)

17. Shandyboy

Thanks to everyone. I'm going to start introducing distractions in the yard before expecting too much outside. My wife is recovering from her two knee replacements so maybe she can help with this.

Will keep you kind folk abreast of developements.....................John

18. Shandyboy

So far Shandy is showing progress.

I've had him out on a number of walks with a muzzle on and a short lead. The other day for the first time he ignored a chap on a bicycle. Then last night I took him for a walk around the houses in my area and we came across a number of road workers in high visibility vests working on the road. Normally this would send him crazy.Shandy stood for a short while, watched them, ears pushed forward, snorted and carried on with the walk. I felt so proud of him.

Today I'm going to take him back to the forrest where we had the incident with the cyclist and we will see what happens. I know its early days and I'm sure there will be setbacks along the way but this really is encouraging. It still breaks my heart to see him so restricted when we are out walking but it sure is better than somebody getting hurt or something happening to Shandy. I'm really grateful for all no nonsense practical advice he has given us. I think he will be surprised the next time he sees Shandy.

Shandy is also a lot better with the sit command but sometimes seems to forget it when we are out and about. Once I command him the first time and gently push on his backside, he seems to remember and there after we have few problems with it. Is this normal???

Anyway, will keep you kind folk posted.........John

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,

[quote author=Shandyboy link=topic=10111.msg156705#msg156705 date=1429097461]
    . It still breaks my heart to see him so restricted when we are out walking but it sure is better than somebody getting hurt or something happening to Shandy.

[/quote]

I can understand you feeling like that , but don't forget some dogs have no choice but to have lead walks all their life due to where they live,rules,regulations.......I'm in a minority in Dubai getting Dex out and about ,the majority of folk walk their dog on leads round their local neighborhoods.Dealing with Shandy's excercise needs in the way you are means he is still with you x

[quote author=Shandyboy link=topic=10111.msg156705#msg156705 date=1429097461]

Shandy is also a lot better with the sit command but sometimes seems to forget it when we are out and about. Once I command him the first time and gently push on his backside, he seems to remember and there after we have few problems with it. Is this normal???

[/quote]
    Great news you have seen improvement here,I guess he's too distracted when he's out and about with you,too many other things calling for his attention.Dexter could be a bit 'indolent' with his sit once we took it outside too .I practiced a lot with the clicker ,starting with luring him into a sit with a really yummy treat rather than pressing his bum down and eventually rewarding only quick sits and he got better.I can remember reading here and being told in training not to repeat the command,just to say it once which I know you are doing,it's hard when they are slow though ::) Dexter is pretty good now at sitting automatically when I stop walking ......I didn't actually train that I think it was the result of lots of heel work practice ,he just associated me stopping as his non verbal cue to sit.....unless there's a cat on the vicinity ;D
    Keep up the great work,most things aren't quick to train and take a lot of patience and practice ....not to mention commitment and you sound like you have all that in spades
    Best wishes
    Angela x

20. Jen

Jen Registered Users

That's great progress John you must be so pleased. Keep us posted. :)