A Sad Story.....so Far!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Shandyboy, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Shandyboy

Shandyboy Registered Users

Re: A Sad Story.....so Far!!!

Today Shandy showed behaviour that I could best describe as jealousy.....I think.

My wife was standing next to me while I was sitting and showing her something on the computer. Shandy left the lounge and came into my study and proceeded to get inbetween my wife and I. He actually pushed her away with his muzzle/head but there was no growling or anything like that. As soon as he was inbetween us, he sat down and looked rather pleased with himself.

Does anybody out there have any suggestions on how I should handle this? Many Thanks.....John

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would say just curiosity and wanting to be involved. I would not worry about it, but next time encourage him to come to the side to see rather than to shove in between you.

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Again, it's hard to say exactly without having seen it, but I would say the same as Rachel, that doesn't sound like jealousy. More like wanting to right in the middle of things.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie does this, we always think of it as a sort of 'needy' behaviour having to be in the thick of everything, so sometimes we just move away and he will then decide who he wants to be with or moves on :) x

5. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I think he was marking his place as a member of your family

Molly does this, but because we've never had any real problems with her I regard it as cute and affectionate. Not to mention just downright nosy.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I agree - that sounds more like wanting to be one of the group rather than jealousy. Rather sweet, actually!

7. Shandyboy

OK, I'll keep this in mind and see what developes. I'm still waiting for the rescue organisation to phone me for a report. I'll give it to the end of today and then phone them myself to see how we can move on with this. My wife and I have noticed that when she calls Shandy to her and gives him a small chicken treat and then tries to pat or scratch him, it appears he is trying to move his head out of the way. I've managed to video this behaviour so I'll show them at the rescue organisation. So now my wife still gives him a treat but does not force the issue of patting or scratching him unless he asks for it.(puts his head on her lap)

Will keep you folks posted.

Thanks for everything.......John

8. Oberon

Sometimes that behaviour can mean "no, silly, I don't want a pat, I want another treat!". My dog does this and that is exactly what he means by it - "not pats, treats!!!".

9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Scout has been like that from 7 weeks of age. Scott loves a fuss and to cuddle up Scout just looks like he's thinking yeah whatever get on with it Ive things to do. Except for when he's tired then he cuddles up. ::)

Is shandy actually shying away or just moving his head away? Your wife could try scratching his chest or under his chin rather than patting his head. Nervous dogs prefer that anyway to the top of the head.

10. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

i've just read this entire thread, and have been near tears for most of it.... both for shandy's past experiences to make him so skittish, and for sheer happiness that he has found you all and that you're not giving up on him. my heart's fair near bursting from happiness - truly! GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

and shandy, too!!!!

that said... i fully agree with so much of what's been said here. particularly the pats on top of the head - think of it this way... there are 2 possible things here. one is that anything coming "from above" may alarm/frighten him... and another is this - if a dog (a puppy) grabs hold of something playfully and is pulling, and has an owner that doesn't understand how puppies operate, the owner might have lashed out and smacked the puppy - where? on the jowls or on top of the head!! i have seen people do this... and that could have formed the negative association.

i do think it's absolutely wise for your wife to be part of the feeding and the training, and to let shandy come to her... absolutely. one thought - try some REALLY delicious treats that ONLY your wife gives him... roast chicken, warm from the oven, is a big hit here.... make that positive association even more fantastic by helping him see that only SHE is giving him these amazing, delicious things.

one other comment... i saw some folks saying maybe he had dental issues. i have a different perspective here... what if there's something wrong with his eyesight? what if it isn't very good, and he can't see things "coming" and reacts in alarm when something is suddenly in his line of vision?? think about it... that'd explain the shying away when she goes for a pat, or his reactions at other times, perhaps.... it's a defense reaction to something that (to him) is "suddenly" there. worth checking into, perhaps? i don't know. it would explain why he does fine when HE approaches HER... but not vice versa.

additionally, could well be that a woman was the one who mistreated him before, and now he associates the higher voice or the lighter touch with that.

i will keep following along, but please let me add my voice to all the others in thanking you for not giving up on shandy. he's already showing so much improvement... love is a powerful, powerful thing. bless you all, so much.

gentle loves to shandy from me and from orion, too!

11. Shandyboy

I took Shandy to the local flea market today. I made sure we were parked a small way from the busy bustle of humans. We both simply sat in the car, me with my coffee and Shady with a treat or two.

After a while I let him out but kept him on lead and next to me while I sat in the drivers seat. Most of the time he was ok with the odd bark at some folk. I did not attempt to walk him close to anybody figuring it will time so there is no need to rush. He certaily pays close attention to everything going on. Head up and looking so proud with himself lying on the ground.

It was suggested that I use a muzzle on him and walk him close to the tables etc. I have two concerns with this, one I never have had a muzzle on him so far as I really dont like them, two, I'm afraid it might all be overload for him. Any ideas out there?? Thanks a lot, John

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I used to be very wary of a dog wearing a muzzle - but no longer. I go to a class with some sight hounds, and all sight hounds are muzzled. It's just a safety measure and considered very normal so everyone can relax. With a message "get over the muzzle". I've seen some with big smile faces painted on them, they look super cute.

Anyway though, take it slow as you say - no need to rush.

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Who suggested a muzzle? Was it one of the trainer people?

I think before you understand a little better the reasons behind the bites, that might be a bit premature. However, if you are afraid of him biting someone else and that fear is keeping you from taking him around people, then it might not be a bad idea just so you will feel relaxed about it all.

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi John, just wondering if you have had a chat with the rescue centre? x

15. Shandyboy

Hi Helen, I've left a message for the dog centre to contact me but nothing yet. I'll give it to Friday lunch time and then I'll phone again.

There has been a small change in Shandys behaviour with my wife. Ever since he bit her the last time, he has showed a certain relucatnce to go to her and when enticed with treats, he kind of pulled his head away if she tried to scratch or pat him. The moment I went to bed he would follow and settle down next to the bed on my side.(Has always done this) However, he seems to be more willing to come to her when she calls him now even if there is no treat. Were not pushing it. All she does is give him a quick scratch and a pat and then tells him to lie down which he does. Further, when I go to bed now, he stays with my wife in the lounge and sleeps right across her feet! Were letting him do it at his pace.

Today my heart went out to him. I took him for a long walk and we found some long wet grass which he promptly got into and rolled around on his back. Just like a dog should. He kept kicking his legs into the air and was letting out the loudest grunts of pleasure. It was such a pleasure to see the happiness on his face, I felt happy for him. Anyway we made it back to the car and he was as wet as hell. Off to McDonalds for my usual coffee. I opened my door and let him lie right next to me and he really did looked pleased with himself. Where I park enables him to lie behind my open door but peer under it at the world going by from a safe distance. I'm hoping this will also help to get him used to the sights,smells and sounds of the world. He certainly is becoming a well travelled dog!!

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on the dog centre issue. Take care all....John

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Shandyboy link=topic=7742.msg110753#msg110753 date=1411078663]
    I took him for a long walk and we found some long wet grass which he promptly got into and rolled around on his back. Just like a dog should. He kept kicking his legs into the air and was letting out the loudest grunts of pleasure. It was such a pleasure to see the happiness on his face, I felt happy for him.
    [/quote]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh that sounds so good!
    I think he is a very lucky boy to have you
    :)

18. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

Oh, John, what a delight! It's as if Shandy is discovering that yes - life can be fun and good. Bless you!!! Huge smile here.

19. Oberon

You and your wife are doing a brilliant job, John :)

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Happy tears,happy tears! X