A-WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by snowbunny, Oct 13, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Gagh!!!

So, you all know, I'm in rural Spain, on a farm with very few neighbours. Our closest neighbour has a female pointer, who is a lovely young thing, very playful and my two really like her. We rarely see her, though, because he doesn't actually live at the adjoining farm, he just comes there to work and stay the occasional night. Like most farmers, he doesn't keep his dog locked in, and she'll roam the adjoining farms.

That's all well and good, except she's now in season and clearly has her eye on Shadow. It started yesterday evening, when I had him out for his walk. He was on lead because it was a bank holiday, meaning hunting was going on, and I'm not going to risk him off lead with that. As we got back home, she belted up to us, trying to initiate play with him, bouncing all over him. Not unusual in itself, because she's a young, playful pointer, but I soon noticed the signs that she was in season. No matter, I got Shadow inside our gates, and left her on the other side. Well, she was getting more and more keen to get in, so I called Shadow inside and closed the door. She started howling then, and he was whining to get out. Argh. It only lasted five or ten minutes, and then she got the message and left.

Fabulous, I thought.

Sadly, the peace did not last. She kept coming back during the night and standing outside the gate, howling her little heart out. Of course, each time, it set both of mine running to the front door, barking and whining. It must have happened seven or eight times. Tiresome.

So, for everyone who thinks it's just entire dogs who run off when a bitch is in season, think again - the girls can be just as eager.

And, for anyone in the know, how long should I expect this to continue? I really don't want to have to talk to the neighbour about it, because he'll probably try to "teach" his dog in horrible ways and I want no part of that.

I think I'm going to be stocking up on Red Bull to get me through the next few days.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh no ....poor you. And a frustrated Willow.
    I thought it could be 7 or 10 days but hope not.
    Await an expert

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Was she flagging when she and Shadow were together? Her whole season is about three weeks I think. That's how long people with intact girls stay away from training. So it depends how far through she is. From observation some girls you hardly know and some are flirty all the way through but generally they only flag and stand for a short period.

That's as far as my knowledge goes ;) I'll stick to boys!!!!

4. snowbunny

Camped out on my rather damp, rather sad-looking veggie patch, just over the wall:

DSC_8216.JPG

She was definitely flagging, yes. Poor thing is desperate to get some of Shadow. He's such a stud-muffin :rolleyes:

I just looked up and it said this receptive period can last 6-13 days!! Sweet baby cheeses. If it's going to be that long, I'll get J to come and collect Shadow and take him back to Andorra.

On the plus side, it's great for doing some proofing!

Saba's Boss, Granca and Cath like this.
  5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

They would make beautiful babies ;)

But not a great idea o_O

6. snowbunny

I'm not sure Shadow really has any idea what's going on, to be honest. He knows there's one of his favourite girlies the other side of the fence and he wants to play with her. Beyond that, I don't think he'd know how to go about making babies! I'm certainly in no rush to let him work it out, either :D

Pilatelover likes this.
  7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I bet if she had the chance she would show Shadow what to do! I'm sure it's driving him crazy.
    Harley, at that stage of her season, was in her fertile period for 10 days. She actually bled for 3 weeks.
    Poor girl. Let's home she doesn't go and find another dog nearby and end up with possibly unwanted puppies.

8. snowbunny

Most of the dogs here are free to roam the farms, so I'm pretty sure if she gives up on Shadow, she'll find another. The only blessing as far as that's concerned is that it's hunting season, so the hunters will probably have their dogs kennelled rather than letting them be "free range". So many very, very young puppies end up in rescue here, it's shocking. They're probably the lucky ones, though :(

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Nah. That looks like True Love in those eyes. I can hear strains of "Endless Love" played on sweeping violins in the background.

snowbunny likes this.
  10. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Will a bitch in season only do this to an intact male, or will any boy do?

Are there masses of unwanted puppies in Spain? Or is this lackadaisical attitude to dog ownership a regional thing?

11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh yes.

12. snowbunny

Masses. More so in the campo (rural Spain) than in the cities, because, obviously, in urban areas dogs aren't allowed to just roam. The Spanish generally don't have the same attachment to their dogs as we do, and especially the old-school farmers and hunters see them as a disposable tool more than an animal.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

She wont actually be receptive, as in able to conceive, for much more than 3 days. Trouble is, how can you tell when those three days are???

14. snowbunny

It's more how long she's going to be howling at my gate! I can keep Shadow away from her, but the howling is driving me - and the dogs - mad!

15. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Poor Shadow, he can't help being such man candy! :D

Rosie likes this.
  16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh poor girl. How thoughtless of her owner to let her wander round like that. She must be quite distressed. I can't stand that people are just so uncaring of dogs' emotions and well being. She must be in a right old state.

Poor you, Shadow and Willow too, of course. :(

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I think I'd be worried in case some other male dogs come to. It could be quite a problem having love Lorn male dogs wondering about. Horrible stituation for so many reasons

18. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Poor you - and poor Shadow too. She certainly looks very keen! :(

19. snowbunny

She is really unhappy, poor love. I just went out to see her. I don't want to encourage her, clearly, but I don't think anything I do will distract her from the hunk of love that is Shadow. He's having his lunch kongs, thank you very much, and hence has no time for the ladies right now.

20. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I knew a boy in school like that. Sigh. #teenage love

Jes72 and snowbunny like this.