Advice on buying a priest/game dispatcher

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Debs, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Debs

Debs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Help! I need to buy a priest, but not sure which to get. Any advice would be most helpful before I buy the wrong thing! Just been looking on line and there are lots of products and differing opinions.

2. David

David Moderator Forum Supporter

No takers yet? I have no idea really what's best and what's not etc, but I use one of these http://www.sportingsaint.co.uk/product/1130/category/254 but I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near as expensive when I bought it. Also if you Google dispatching pheasants or pigeons there are some helpful articles on how to do the deed humanely without a priest, but I would have thought any priest was as good as another.

3. Debs

Debs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks @David. Yes they're quite expensive aren't they! I've had a good google search since posting and found some good advice. I'm on a major learning curve at the moment!!

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have a stainless steel priest which I acquired, so cannot tell you where it came from, but it is very efficient.

Debs likes this.
  5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

What an education I get some days. :) Never heard of these things. I do have a work colleague who informed us that as she is a biologist working for the govn't. she has been assigned a "license to kill" and can dispatch small injured animals and birds. She didn't say how she would do it, except for small birds, she just holds her hands tighter around their little bodies till their hearts fail. More humane than a lingering death I guess. If we found, say a bird hit by car, it is actually illegal for us to kill it. But we would, and have done, anyway, rather than let it suffer till someone approved to do it could come. OH could do it when he was a game warden. I just asked him, he's never heard of these things, priest, either.