Agility update

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by Naya, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have now had 2x1-2-1 sessions and 3 class sessions. Harley is doing fantastic. I can now leave her in a sit and walk 2 jumps away before releasing her. She can do 6 jumps in a row (not in a straight row). The jumps are spread out and are set at different angles and this hasn't phased her at all. She has mastered the straight tunnel and a bent tunnel and goes through every time with no problems. She has also mastered the A frame . Our trainer said it usually takes a few months to get to the stage Harley is at . Our bond is brilliant and she is responding to my cues so well.
    I was worried about how she would be when she was waiting for her turn, but all she does is stands at the gate watching the other dog in the arena, waiting quietly. I have got her to take treats for waiting nicely
    Last week hubby came to watch and Harley was so pleased with herself after completing 6 jumps and the tunnel that she ran off towards hubby jumping up at the fence as if to say 'did you see me' and looked so proud of herself.
    We are going to take part in some fun competitions early next year.
    I am so glad we gave it a go and I'm so proud of how quick and responsive she is

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Well done both of you!
    We really enjoyed doing agility, haven't done any this year.
    Not the best for the hips but we took it easy and were sensible.
    What a great post Ternaya :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That sounds like amazing progress! So glad you are enjoying it. Look forward to hearing about the fun competitions when you go!

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Sounds great! I'd love to see some videos if you can take some!

That look they give when they're proud of themselves is unmistakable. Bless! :)

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

What a lovely inspiring post. I'm so pleased that you and Harley are having so much fun with agility. Look forward to hearing about the fun competitions :D

6. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

Well Done. its like you are having fun :)

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like excellent progress! Well done Harley! :)

8. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah that's fantastic to hear! Well done you and Harley!!! Hopefully you can get some photos or a video some time to show us. :D

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator

That's brilliant !! Well done :D

10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done to both of you, sounds such fun.

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Well done. Great stuff!

12. Naya

Just quick update.......Harley continues to love agility . So far we have done numerous jumps, in rows, changing direction etc, the tunnel (she loves this now, hesitant at first), the A frame, the long jump, pole weaving and the see saw. There hasn't been a piece of equipment that she has been hesitant about . We are starting to get her working away from me more as physically I find it difficult sometimes, but she seems to be picking this up really well . Will try and upload a video next week.

13. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Wow that's really cool!!

14. JulieT

Would love a vid! :)

15. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

OH that's great to hear. Look forward to the video.

16. Sadie's mum

Sadie's mum Registered Users

My daughter does agility with our chocolate lab - they both love it and she has just completed a season doing competitions - they have had a few places and some very good runs. Sounds like you have found the right trainer - we struggled to find someone who did more than fun agility but have now found a KC agility judge and champion handler who is excellent and such a lovely person.
    We are in the minority at comps - wall to wall collies! - but we find fellow lab owners really keen to make contact and very supportive. It is a really friendly sport.

17. Naya

I've been poorly with the flu so my daughter has been running Harley at agility. I've been there, just not able to run.
    Anyway, last night was amazing........they done 5 jumps (changing direction twice), through the tunnel, over another 6 jumps (2 changes of direction) all in one run . I was so proud of both of them.
    The first week my daughter ran with her was a bit hit and miss as she kept looking for me, but last night was so much better. I am trying to get my daughter to run her when she's home from uni just so we have 2 'handlers' for future competitions.

Our agility place is for fun and/or for competitions. It's great as there is no pressure if you don't want to compete.

Our last session for the year is next Friday. We are also going this Monday night for our first session with the intermediate class.........hopefully we will be ok! Will try and get a video before we finish for Xmas

18. JulieT

Sorry to hear you've been poorly. I hope you are better before Christmas.

It's so lovely to hear about your agility success with Harley - you must be thrilled. I do hope you do some competitions, even if just for fun. Would be amazing experience.

19. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Sounds as if they made a really good team together and it's really great to see that Harley adapted quite quickly go the different handler. Looking forward to the video and good luck with your first intermediate class on Monday.

Get well soon, flu can be nasty to recover from