Angulation of dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by JulieT, Mar 19, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've recently been reading about the best structure of dogs for performance (we started this discussion on the Crufts thread, but I've moved the topic because I really need to emphasize this isn't about showing - this is about performance).

The book I've been reading is this one:
    What's Your Angle: Understanding Angulation and Structure for the Performance Dog
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whats-Your-...ngulation-Structure-Performance/dp/1480139394

I'm no expert! I've just read the book - and now go round sticking dots on dogs while I try to figure it all out and improve my 'eye' for the conformation that makes up a good performance dog. I am very, very happy to learn more from any experts out there...

First, what are we looking at?

We are looking at the angles of the dog's conformation at the front and rear. If you look at the picture below, we are trying to identify the main angles front and back. They should look like this:

[​IMG]dots #2 by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

I've marked these up on Pongo - it's tricky to do in a photo, what you really need to do is feel for the ends of the bones on the dog and actually stick the dots on, then take a photo! :D:D:D Which is what the book tells you to do.

Here is my best attempt at the very handsome and lovely Pongo - as I mentioned earlier, I think Pongo could have a better turn on his stifle, I've tried to show this with the orange line. This means Pongo's angles at the back are a bit too straight - if the dot on the stifle were moved out, it would increase the main rear angle, to 90degrees or a bit more. I am very happy to be corrected on that though!

I can't tell where the top of Pongo's shoulder blade is - I've had to guess, it might be a bit further back from my blue dot, so I drew two lines.

[​IMG]pongo dots by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Jes72 and Bruer like this.
  2. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Really interesting Julie

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Also, I should say - the reason why the dogs stand 'stacked' in the show ring is to demonstrate the angles. Pongo is not quite stood correctly (although it's a pretty good go!). If he were, it's possible the angles would look a bit different.

4. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Just been through my photos of Baxter and i don't have one side on photo of him, I know what i'll be doing tomorrow :D

zrinka likes this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Tatze is a truly lovely dog - I absolutely adore her head (although that particular photo doesn't quite do justice to her lovely Labrador expression that we see in other photos). I also love her overall size, and build.

I can't dot that photo, because Tatze is turning towards the camera. But from other photos, I think Tatze's angles at the front are good, but you can see from the shape of her stifle that her angles at the back are too straight.

By the way, my own dog is very, very, far from perfect and in making any comments about other dogs I do not mean to sound like I've got the perfect dog, that's not the case!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Just departing from performance angles for a minute....

Pongo's head and neck just say 'masculine' - perfect. And I also love Tatze's tail, and Pongo's tail. Yay! For otter tails on Labradors.

Tatze has little well shaped cats paws....sigh....lovely girl. :)

They both have perfect ears, by the look of it.

Humpf, right, sorry, back to hard nosed angles! :D:D:D

MaccieD likes this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Try to stick dots on him before you take the photo! Look at the print I've posted above. If you run your hands over him with the print out next to you, it's easy to feel the ends of the bones. It's a fair bit of guess work just from the photo although I'm beginning to just get the 'feel' for it now - I hope, anyway.

Bruer likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It would be interesting to see the crossbreeds dotted up, if that's acceptable? :)

Stacia likes this.
  10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I love all this stuff... :D

I think Pongo's front end is really good - front dot could probably go a bit forward, giving better geometry, but as Julie said it's hard from a pic! Back end is pretty good though I agree, could have a better turn of stifle (aka 'more curvey knee area'). Maybe also a slightly more substantial butt (which would come with a more angulated rear). He's a very good looking boy though and a very nice example of the breed.

Rosie likes this.
  11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo's blushing again. Thank you.

drjs@5 and Jes72 like this.
  12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I'm afraid his tail isn't nearly so ottery when it is stuck out or wagging - lots of feathering after the first two inches! But it is a very very happy tail.

13. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Ah, don't worry Julie it doesn't come across like that at all! It is really interesting to see the dot pictures, and get an informed view. And "imperfections" don't matter to me at all, but it is still fascinating to hear about them.

Pongo's "well-developed" musculature is probably due to the fact that our garden is two acres on a 3 in 1 hillside and since 10 weeks of age his favourite game has been to throw himself down it at top speed (then run back up and do it again).... absolutely terrifying to watch. Especially if you are at the bottom and he is heading straight for you.

Naya, MaccieD and JulieT like this.
  14. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Will give it a go tomorrow with some post it dots lol not sure how it will go :rolleyes:

Naya likes this.
  15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie's tail is awfully feathery too. Never mind, from some angles it looks great. :D The main thing is the quality of the wag. :)

MF, drjs@5 and Rosie like this.
  16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Give it a go! :)

Bruer likes this.
  17. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

More blushing from Pongo. Thank you. (And I feel exactly the same about my own butt, so we're in the same boat there.....)

drjs@5 likes this.
  18. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Yes!

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

@Rosie, for the sake of the experiment/education....I've had another go at Pongo's front dots. Can you look at the diagram on the skeleton, and see whether you can feel the ends of the front bones on Pongo, and tell me if I have the dots right?

The top of the shoulder blade behind the neck is very easy - it feels like the ends of two plates either side, then follow that down and feel the turn at the front of the dog as it reaches the upper arm.

[​IMG]pongo2 by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

He is a very good looking dog, that's for sure! I know nothing about the finer points of how conformation works, but I imagine I can see when a dog looks right - and Pongo looks great, in my opinion!

Just from my gut - is he perhaps a little heavy on the shoulders?