Annie spay surgery

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Cath, May 21, 2016.

1. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Annie is booked in for this Wednesday for Laparoscopic spay surgery. I have not to feed her after 7pm :rolleyes:
    Its going to be a long night. Has any of the forum member had this kind of surgery done?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes some have (but not me as I've only had boys). There have been positive reports from it. I'm sure it will all go well and she'll bounce back so fast :)

Cath likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm sure Annie will be fine it's you that might not be Cath. xx :)

Cath likes this.
  4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi @Cath Juno had a traditional spay, not laparascopic, at 5.5 months of age. We had nothing to eat after 10 the night before so she could have her normal bedtime biscuit. Water was available before bedtime and in the morning though. Juno was fine after the GA, no whining etc. and she was her normal self the next day with no suggestion of pain or discomfort, no pain meds from the vet either. The onlead walks and restricted exercise was a bit more of a pain, but then we had just spent the best part of 2 weeks on that regime due to her first limping occurrence. When I was with her she didn't wear the collar as she made no attempt to touch her wound/stitches so it was only used when I went shopping or overnight in her crate.

Hope all goes well with Annie xx

Cath likes this.
  5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So True :rolleyes:

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Thanks Rachael and Rosemary. The vet said it will be fine. She can have water on the morning of the surgery, but it must before 7 am. I have brought her a buster collar so she should be ok. A girl likes to look her best even after surgery :)

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

When Bramble is old enough she will be having a laprascopic spay, after looking at the research and healing times it does looks the best option.

8. Cath

Cath Registered Users

When was you thinking of having Bramble done?

9. Beanwood

Probably just after her first season :)

10. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Maisie had a laprascopic spay. Post surgery she had two tiny wounds which were glued. She was back to her normal self the following day. A week of on lead walking was very tedious as she was obviously feeling no ill effects of the surgery. Quite amazing how non-invasive the surgery was. I think the GA caused more upset than the surgery!

Cath likes this.
  11. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well I will let you know how Annie gets on. :)

Thanks for that Debs, its good to know. I know its daft, but you always worry if its your girl ;)

Debs likes this.
  12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't think it's daft to worry :) You know it will all be fine, but you can't help feeling for your furry bub and wanting her to be ok.

Cath likes this.
  13. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, two of my girls had a laparoscopic spay. The last one just a few weeks ago. It is astonishing how quickly they recover from this op. If given the choice I would always opt for this kind of spay in the future. There is still a period of rest and lead walks only after the op. Best of luck to Annie.

Cath likes this.
  14. Beanwood

Thank you for starting this thread @Cath very reassuring, we do worry don't we? :)

Cath likes this.
  15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah it's horrible when they go in for the day but they bounce back so quick ....before you know it you are worrying about keeping them quiet and calm so they can recover !
    I practised with Dexter in his collar before he had his castration op so he was really comfortable in it by the time it came to be a necessity.

16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

What a good idea Angela

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well today the day. I will be taking Annie to the vet at 8.30. Then back home to play with Fred and wait for the vet to ring. I might even do some housework which is not like me at all.

18. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Wishing you and Annie well for today.

Cath likes this.
  19. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I always do cleaning and house work too it helps get rid of that stressy needing to move. Hope she's ok and you are too.

Cath likes this.
  20. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

It's perfectly natural to worry. I did with Juno and the cats previously. For some reason my house ends up much cleaner and tidier that day as well :) I happily handed Juno over to the Vet, got back in the car and promptly started crying for leaving her :)

Cath likes this.