Annual checkup and jabs

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Hollysdad, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We took Holly for her annual checkup last night. She's remarkably relaxed at the vet. She had a sniff around, sat calmly beside us in reception, then strolled down the corridor into the surgery. After checking the floor for treats she stood calmly while the vet poked, prodded and listened, stuck things down her ear, jabbed her and squirted kennel cough vaccine up her nose. Afterwards she strolled nonchalantly back to reception and waited while we paid.

It's so unlike one of our previous dogs, Gypsy. Taking her to the vet was a two-man job and quite traumatic. With Gypsy the problems started about 100 yards from the surgery when she dug her heals in and refused to go any further. We usually dragged and carried her into reception, at which point she would crawl under the chair and refuse to come out. When we were called we had to move the furniture to get to her; as we moved one chair she would crawl under the next one. Having cornered her and rearranged the furniture she would go limp. The only option was for boty of us to pick up this limp dog and carry her into the surgery.

Then the fun started.

She really did not like vets and was completely uncooperative. Any attempt to touch or inspect her was met with high energy squirming. If she saw a gap she would bolt for the door. It took two of us and the nurse to hold her down while the vet did anything.

When the appointment ended she would make a bolt for reception, straight through the door and would stop about 100 yards down the road. Whoever was holding the lead when that vet ended the appointment had no choice but to go with her. On one occasion she took the nurse and left us behind in the surgery!

With Gypsy we grew accustomed to hearing other pet owners muttering about this badly behaved dog, and how their dog would never behave like that. If only they knew that she was a lovely dog the rest of the time, it's just that she didn't like vets. It's made us appreciate Holly so much!

Stacia and Lin like this.
  2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good girl Holly!

I'm a bit worried about Betsy and the vet's. She has only been three times in her first six month - first for her vaccinations, and then because she had a lump on her eyelid. She hasn't been all that happy each time even though everyone tried to play with her and gave her loads of treats.

Charlie, who had a range of minor puppy illnesses, went much more often when he was younger. Although as a teenager he was a nightmare, it was because he was so over excited (he was over excited at EVERYTHING as a teenager). We got over this and he is as good as gold now at the vet's.

Your post has prompted me into action! I'll be off to the vets's at lunchtime with Betsy to go get her weighed and sit in the reception for a bit. Sigh...that means I'll have to walk her down 'kebab shop rubbish road'. :rolleyes: Oh well, all good training I suppose!

drjs@5 likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good girl Holly x

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Oh how you must have dreaded the annual vet visit - just reading that made me anxious. Can you pinpoint why she was so afraid of the vet?

Xena treats the vet and vet nurse and receptionist like she does all people - with much excitement. She had her stitches removed on Friday and she was *slightly* calmer than previous visits. I mean sure, she still weed on the floor when the nurse came over, but she calmed down much quicker than usual so I took that as progress!

5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Glad Holly is a good girl! Poor Gypsy, I hate people who are judgemental.

The vets is Stanley's idea of hell. Not because he's scared.. Because I make him sit quietly next to me in the waiting room.

You can see his eyes frantically darting around and his tail in full pelt because there's always other dogs who (he thinks) are dying to play with him, and people who are dying to stroke him.

Then when it's his turn its full pelt into the room as he knows he's gunna get some fuss :rolleyes:

Definitely something we need to work on, sitting in the waiting room would be a good idea. Thanks for the inspiration @JulieT :)

6. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Finn gets so frightened at the vets he has to be muzzled for the staff to be safe. He sits in the waiting room no problem, but once in the consulting room he becomes a totally different dog, not one I want to know! We are trying to accustom him to a muzzle at home, so he's not scared of that but vet visits are always traumatic, can't imagine what happened in his previous life as he is gorgeous in every other way.

7. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie loves visiting the vets. But then he loves going anywhere! Altho I have noticed of late that he jumps up onto the bench to sit behind us - clearly saying he's not entirely comfortable anymore.

I was extremely impressed with one vet's assistant. When Snowie had laser therapy on his back, he had to wear shaded goggles - looked like Biggles! Of course he tried to pull them off. The vet assistant kneeled on the floor in front of him and silently used (very few) treats to keep him occupied for the 10-min treatment. She played a kind of "in which hand is the treat?" game. Never once did she have to restrain Snowie and he seemed completely unaware of the vet giving the treatment, totally focused on her. She was so impressive. Very silent. Clearly preferred communicating with animals rather than humans. And kissed Snowie after his treatment was done!

I don't blame some dogs not liking the vets when you consider how they can be manhandled quite cruelly there. I usually hold Snowie if he needs blood taken, always using treats, cos I can't stand the way some vets or assistants think the only way is by force. So much easier when done kindly with treats.

8. Hollysdad

We never worked out why Gypsy hated the vets. They were very gentle and patient with her. When we moved and registered with a new vet we had exactly the same problem.

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

M
    My dog had laser treatment and we had goggles, I asked about the dog but they said it would be ok! Concerned now! We only had five minute treatments.

10. MF

MF Registered Users

We all had to wear goggles in the room! Odd that they thought the laser bad for your eyes but not your dog's. Did they say why?

11. Hollysdad

Human eyes have a natural protection against some laser wavelengths, for example 1550nm (infra red). It may be that dogs have protection against other wavelengths. I'd be inclined to check.

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I did ask and they thought it would be ok for the dog's eyes as they would make sure the laser pointed to the floor, but that doesn't hold water if we have to have goggles. Said to buy special goggles for the dogs would be expensive.

Thanks @Hollysdad for that information.

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I am very lucky, all three are quite happy at the vets. Benson gets over excited, Casper is surprisingly calm. Bramble is so laid back, the last time we went she fell asleep! :)

Hollysdad likes this.
  14. BevE

BevE Registered Users

Bailey loves the vet! He gets liver treats there:D. Our previous Lab, Cooper also loved the vet, until his name was called! At the sound of his name, every, single,time, he bolted for the door.
    He was happy for the social outing, but going into one of the consulting rooms was never on his agenda!

MF likes this.
  15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We have a boy who tolerates the vets,he does exactly what is required And asked of him but I have a shed load of treats as there's a fair bit of lip licking going on ....
    I hope Holly got an A1 health report x

16. Hollysdad

Laser goggles are about £100 a pair for people, depending in the wavelength. I can't imagine how much it would cost to carry a range of them for different sized dogs. Perhaps a set of hoods with laser proof windows would be cheaper to make for dogs? There's a business opportunity there for someone!

Stacia likes this.
  17. Hollysdad

Yes, thanks. She's in great condition but Is slowly putting on weight (about half a kg over the last 6 months) so we'll take a little bit off her breakfast to slowly bring her down again. Longer walks too, to burn some of it off!

Dexter likes this.
  18. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Is that even possible? :p

Dexter likes this.
  19. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I pop in to the vets every week with the pups to weigh them, they get fuss and treats off the nurses and vets so it's a positive place for them.

I'm lucky it's within walking distance at home.

I take Tatze once a month.

20. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I think I should get back into the routine of taking Coco in just to weigh him. It's good experience.