At what age start agility

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Marjan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Marjan

Marjan Registered Users

Good evening,

I want to start agility training with my almost 18 months old Labrador Bram but as one trainer welcomes us immediately, another tells me to wait until at least 2 years of age due to the risk of injuries. We do hunting training on a regular basis so Bram does jump and swim every week. Can anyone advise me which trainer gives me the best/correct information?
    Thanks!
    Marjan

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi. My agility school allows dogs from the age of 1. When they start they are only allowed to do lower jumps and the tunnel and slowly progress to the other equipment over the months. We've got quite a few dogs around 12 months - 15 months that have recently started where I go.
    Hope that helps

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Most trainers I know of here will start very young puppies but no jumps or weave poles till over a year. There is a lot you can do with young puppies to work on balance and confidence with wobble boards and a simple plank flat on the ground and others. When we competed we couldn't till 18 months old.

4. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I looked on the website just now of our KC Delft. They say for agility the dog must be at least one year of age. A few years ago they had to be two years, so things have changed.