Back to School For Us!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Re: Back to School For Us!

You both are doing great, Angela! So glad to hear you are no longer in fear of meeting other dogs while out and about....you should be very pleased with how far you and Dex have come! :)

2. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is all great news, so positive, good for you and Dexter especially managing the escapee. Gives hope to others with reactive dogs too, it's great to read about.

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Goodness Angela I don't know how I missed all this! It sounds all terrifically positive, you and Dexter are doing so well! You should feel really proud of Mr Pops. :)

4. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Can't believe I missed this too, not enough hours in the day at the moment....well done to you and Dexter. You've made such great progress already, I'm enjoying hearing about your progress. As you so rightly say, these things take time, and patience - in Cuill's case it's taken me a long time to help her get through her dog issues, she still has some work to do, particularly with groups, and dogs running up to her when she is on lead, but the best advice I got from the Reactive Rover's behaviourist was just as you posted - ignore folk who will tell you what you should be doing, you know your dog and you know their history, never ever punish or chastise them for their reactivity, and put yourself in their furry shoes, see things through their world view rather than a human's, so you can understand the cause of their reactions and work on that, rather than just crushing the reaction. You two seem well on the way to success :D

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We've Graduated!!!!With a certificate and a voucher for another training course ;D

Feeling good with our new skill set and life is a lot better on our lead walks than it used to be....not saying we still couldn't improve ::)

There is an 'Interest List' for Agility....which we'd love to do...he sailed over the jumps tonight ,the first time we've done it in a setting other than our house and garden.....and there's a Level 2 Obedience Course we are going to do in January.....Dexter will be able to do the excercises but one thing I've learned along the way is that Dexter benefits from structured training and I get confidence from having someone standing over me keeping me on track ::) so I'm just going to get him along to anything we can attend....he can get the variety from working around different dogs ......am really chuffed for the other dogs on the class too,everyone has made progress and it's lovely to see the confidence blossom in the owners too x

6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Congratulations! Great work, both of you. :)

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That is BRILLIANT!!!!

I can just feel the confidence oozing out of you, it's fab x

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well done Angela and Dex! Proud mum :)

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Congratulations to you both :D I hope the agility class manages to get enough interest - Dexter would love it by the sounds of it ;)

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yay Dex and Angela! So glad this worked out for you...I think it would be fun to do agility! Glad to hear there are more opportunities for classes. Looking forward to the future adventures of Dex the Desert dog!

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well done! :) :)

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Great news, well done and more training to look forward to ;D

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh that's wonderful Angela! :D

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Really brilliant!!!! You've made such a lot of progress in a short time :)

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Angela be proud that is just amazing, you have worked so hard and it's all paying off. Well done Dexter what a good boy, so happy for you xxxxx :) :) :) :)

16. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I don't know how I missed this.

Well done Angela that's fantastic news. I bet you are so proud of Dex and you should be. Im absolutely made up for you. A big gold star for you both. ;D