BAT tips

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Jen, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Re: BAT tips

Thank you both. ;D

You never know one day they might actually become real Labradors. It doesn't seem quite as impossible as it once did. ;)

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You all know how much I love BAT Training and here are two good examples of the success it brings.

I was walking with Hattie on Saturday when a lovely Doberman that sadly doesn't get walked very often came bounding along with his Jack Russell pal straight upto Hattie and covered her in slobbery kisses whilst the JR continually barked in her face ::), Hattie didn't mind and she was looking constantly at me for a treat so she knew there was nothing to worry about only something yummy :) I am especially happy about this since she was attacked twice in 3 months so it's a massive relief for me :)

David took Charlie out he was off lead and met several off lead dogs and a Spaniel that tried to keep up with Charlie, yeah no chance ;D and he wasn't bothered at all just went back to David when called for treats. Walking back through the village was a large male Labrador running free, he came straight upto Charlie for a good old sniff which he doesn't normally like, no problems just looked to David for constant treats until the Lab went home and they walked on.

Thanks again Jen, love BATing xxx :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great stuff :)

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

That's fantastic Helen. ;D. Well done.

Poor Hattie though getting covered in Doberman slobber. When she was looking at you for a treat did she also have a look of disdain that this creature had the nerve to kiss her. I can just imagine it. ;D ;D.

Charlie is a star and very well mannered not to object to a male dog sniffing him. He is definitely top of the BATting order. ;)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Brilliant Helen ,great to hear success stories ,well done x

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Jen, I think maybe she quite liked the slobbery kisses, he was a very handsome Doberman so I don't think she minded ;)

So I have a third reason why BAT works, on our walk this morning a lady was walking towards me with 2 Jack Russels, she shoulted "it's OK they don't bite", JR ran towards Hattie launched and attached itself to her, it let go barking and shaking like crazy, Hattie just stood beside me looking for her treat, meanwhile the owner yelled "get here or I will beat you Tiggy". She said "Oh that's terriers for you" - really :mad: Low and behold she then double backed on the other side of the hedge, Tiggy came running along barking ready for round 2, I called Hattie to heel gave her another treat, she ignored Tiggy and we avoided another incident and a JR accessory that Hattie really doesn't need as she is naturally beautiful. Tiggy and other dog still off lead and owner still threatening to beat her :mad: :(

Thanks for the kind words xxx

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Really, some people! :(

Well done Hattie and Charlie! :D

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I had a friend with a Yorkshire Terrier, who would regularly launch himself at my dogs' throats and hang on, they would walk on completely ignoring him ;D

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Typical terrier Stacia ;) ;)
    Well done indeed to Hattie and Charlie , and I concur , BATing has been a fantastic tool for Millie, thanks Jen :)

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

My pleasure. ;)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

When we walk up through our village there is a Collie that jumps up and down peering over a tall back wall, goodness knows what damage this is doing to her joints :( This drives Hattie crazy and she always pulls like a train to see this dog, I have been using BAT for about 6 months now and I am so happy to report that this week Hattie has looked at me, treats on the approach and walking past said crazy Collie without any verbal commands or cue's, she just knows to focus on me, we walked past on a slack lead to heel :) :) :) I love BATting xx

12. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Brilliant. ;D. Well done Hattie. ;D

Looks like your as BATty as me Helen. ;) Its a good thing to be a BATty because it works. ;D ;D ;D (see what I did there ;) )

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Jen, yes I see what you did there ::) ;D xx

14. Dexter

;D
    Good work girls x

15. kateincornwall

Well done on being completely Batty :) :) :)

16. Jen

Jen Registered Users

A year of BAT !

It's almost a year since I started BATting my dogs. I thought it might be interesting to update this thread to see what progress we might have made.

Apart from the odd blip Scott and Scout

- No longer react to strangers walking towards us

- Nine times out of ten no longer react to strangers directly approaching us. There's always someone who spoils it by looking dodgy. ;)

- Will happily go up to people we meet on our walk who at one time would've been barked at and give them a good sniff.

- Being touched is still work in progress but they will allow a few of these people to stroke them as long as they don't get too familiar even then they will only get a woof not the rapid fire barking they once would have received.

- Vaccinations at the vets wasn't great but nowhere near as bad as last year although they still aren't upto a proper examination. Scott did tell the vet where to go when he first tried to get hold of his scruff but it was only one big bark. He then allowed the vet to inject him albeit squashed as tight as he could get between me and the wall and with his front leg wrapped around mine like he was holding on for dear life. Scout on the other hand didn't really react at all. He was obviously nervous but no barking although the vet didn't push it and stopped before it got too much.

- Rarely react towards other dogs anymore even ones bouncing around barking at them.

Although I'm loath to tempt fate it would appear we have made progress. We will keep plodding on trying to iron out the blips and allowing people to touch (any suggestions on that would be greatly appreciated) and you never know eventually ......... ::)

I'd like to thank you all for the advice, help and encouragement you've given me I don't think we'd have got this far without it. ;D

17. Dexter

Jen that's a fabulous post,you've done a wonderful job helping them overcome some of their fears and anxieties and you are the one to thank,you've helped so many of us,myself included in the last year ,always giving the time to help others when you were busy working through your own things.
    Really well done and thankyou x

18. kateincornwall

Good for you Jen, for sticking at it , much improvement and its so encouraging :)

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh you have definitely made progress. I think you've done an absolutely sensational job with your boys, and I'm sure it's made them much happier. Fabulous job!! It is not easy to help a dog overcome fear, but you've been able to achieve so much.

Technically, do you think you've mostly been BATing (set up situations where the dog is allowed to wander on a line in sight of a trigger) or counterconditioning (rewarding incompatible behaviour)/classical conditioning (creating positive association with feared object)/desensitisation (gradually increasing doses of the feared object as the dog can tolerate it)? BAT does involve all those things of course but using particular types of set up situations.

It doesn't matter a jot in practical terms as what you've done has been very successful. But just interested in the degree to which you were able to use BAT situations along the way. :)

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I think you have done a fabulous job with both of them x