Bella's First Knee Operation

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by CDM, Dec 6, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

It's funny isn't it, yer I don't mind over the next couple of months but then it's back to early morning and late night garden be cleans and poops!!! I tried enticing with yummy treats and waiting her out but she just froze on the spot and I didn't want to drag her so she won ( this time) :)

She's got new anti flamms and vet was pleased with her progress. A vets surgery full of animals was pretty stressful, she just kept barking her head off. Thought we had the all clear then 2 dogs came in :(

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You are doing a good job.
    Keep your spirits up.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Good to hear that Bella is doing so well. I'm sure after surgery they learn the knack of holding onto wee as long as they an just in the hope that they get another trip out . I remember Juno's 3 x 3 minutes walks a day for two weeks after her surgery. Sniffing became so important timber and I didn't really have the heart to stop her if you're only allowed 3 minutes for walk

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good news you've got some new drugs for her. Keep her comfy. :)

Charlie, although a hooligan generally, probably falls into the category of 'pretty chilled' in an excited kinda way :rolleyes: about vets - I mean, he views going to the vet's as a little pleasant adventure. Although he is super keen to meet other dogs, these days he can control himself, so while he looks over at other animals in the waiting room in a very interested way he's really very good. Even after all the ops. And he NEVER barks.

All of that said, when I took him back for his check up after his second op he was a nightmare. A total lunging, whining disgrace in the waiting room, and he was barking at other dogs! Unknown for Charlie.

I do think the stress of it all can get to even the most confident dogs. Charlie is all back to normal now though.

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

This is true, Bella rarely barks and not like she did last night!!! the lady that said 'ugh that made me jump!' (Pi****** me off ha) ok ok I know its annoying but she just hates not been able to say hello, she lurves other dogs but if she cant get to say hello, all hell breaks loose.... she just tried to bite my feet (accidently of course) whilst pulling my socks off in a frenzy and the cross voice came out :( then the guilty bad mum voice, So now I've taken my socks off altogether so licking feet instead :)

Also I need more advice on this jump park- its not really working...........the halti lead with both collar and harness is fab for control, walking steady, no lunging. UNTIL we see a dog. We saw the same dog today (lives around the corner) woman kindly crossed the road , I had stopped with Bella- well....she froze. I held either side of the lead and put my foot on the lead to tighten it but she could still lift her front paws up slightly in the im going for it way - but not her back legs / knees- is that right or should we have no lifts?!?!?!?!?! STRESSFUL!!!!!!!!

6. CDM

CDM Registered Users

YES lots of sniffing things, I'm letting her do it so it extends outside time...

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It sounds fine! You can't have the lead so tight they can't move. So long as she is not lunging on her back legs, it should be fine. :)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Slow sniffing is good. Charlie did A LOT of sniffing! To the extent that now he has a dreadful sniffing on lead habit! Don't care though, it helps keep your dog sane through this time.

9. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ok, thanks, she's not bouncing off the back legs I just worried she could damage back legs from pressure on them when lifting up front in excitement ... Wasn't sure if lead was tight enough, But true I can't straight jacket her ....! :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No, you can't. :) You absolutely do not want them standing on their back legs with their front legs off the ground. But there is nothing in the whole world that is going to stop a young, boisterous, under exercised young Lab from trying. So long as they don't mange it though.

The good news is this - after 3 or 4 months of you stomping on the lead to stop her jumping up, she'll give up. It was the thing that actually stopped Charlie jumping up. He couldn't for so very long that it stopped occurring to him to try! Bit drastic as a measure to stop jumping up, but a welcome side benefit. :)

11. CDM

CDM Registered Users

It's also occurred to me I'm not taking my clicker or treats on our walks, note to self tomorrow. On the side she has already put on a v slight bit of weight in one week :( think I may need to reduce her current food a bit too. Poor girl , where's the fun gone?!?! I also had a panic about her recall once off the lead again...but I'll worry about that in 5-6 weeks!!!!!!!!

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Cut down her food. Giving food away for free in a bowl is just a waste. Keep the weight off her. Extra weight will do nothing but make everything more difficult.

Don't worry. I had all these worries too. :) If anything, Charlie became better behaved off lead because he was so used to concentrating on me all the time. Once you get over the silly really short walk stage, there is lot you can do to get your dog walking on lead and thinking about you as on lead walks become 'proper' walks - a way to go for you yet, I know (do not rush it, it's not worth it). He got worse once he returned to free running....

13. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I forgot to manage Juno's diet to begin with, it was the vet mentioning her weight that brought me up sharp. Smaller portions etc. followed and managed to keep her weight pretty stable all through recovery even with a growing pup. There's so much else to worry about to begin with. I would say not to worry about any possible recall problems - one step at a time and ne day at a time. I managed Juno's recovery by milestones i.e. vet visits for check-ups, x-rays anything that marked progress. Helped to keep me sane - and the Forum of course :D

14. CDM

CDM Registered Users

She goes in for operation number 2 tomorrow at 8am... :( poor girl, then we can get in recovery for the next 8 weeks,,,,!

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow. It must be a stressful time for you both, but hopefully soon over.

16. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Hoping it goes as well as the first, we'll keep fingers and paws crossed here.

17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Will be thinking of you and Bella tomorrow and sending best wishes for a good recovery

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All the best for the second op :)

19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sending you big hugs. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Will be thinking of ypu both x

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Really hoping all goes well and you can move on xx