Best Dog Chew for Aggressive Chewer

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Wayne Riley, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Wayne Riley

Wayne Riley Registered Users

I have 11 month old chocolate lab who is a very aggressive chewer. The large Nylabone type lasts about 2 weeks and last week bought her an antler (large size) to replace it. As of today she has almost completely gone through it. Anyone out there have a similar issue and what did you find to replace that lasts longer?

Thanks

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Have you tried a Nylabone Galileo? That may be what you're saying you tried, but if not I had a couple of them and they lasted forever. (Photo from online, not my own).

Screenshot 2017-01-03 20.35.17.png

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Stuffed and frozen extreme Kongs?
    An Anco root?
    Boredom busting with mental activities and training?

4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer is a toy destroyer delux.
    We gave him antlers and he had a large nylabone but we left him with them too long and his canines began to wear down. I'm not saying they are all bad, just be careful and limit access to them. He even destroyed a Kong extreme.

He has bones from the butchers but they don't last long.

Socks are his favourite, so I walk around with my toes sticking out, and so was my suede boot.

charlie likes this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Wayne, I wouldn't use nylabones either as they are far too hard and if dogs are real chewers they can remove bits of the plastic and swollow them. Could you do a little bit more training with your puppy, maybe she needs a bit more mental stimulation? You could do some clicker training or hand touch, retrieving, using their brains wears them out too and she may not want to chew so much :) Just a thought.

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We use the Nylabones for "aggressive chewers". They are the only one that hold up. They do break tiny pieces off, but it does not seem to cause any problems. I bought one of the "Medium Chewer" nylabones a couple of months ago, and it lasted about 3 hrs. They just broke it into bite sized pieces, but did not swallow many, if any at all. Nylabone has a Nylabone antler that is much softer than a real antler, but still lasts a long time. Real sheds are quite hard, in addition to being expensive. We quit using them out of concern for teeth and cost.

With the exception of Black Kongs and a few other rubber toys, most of the rubber chew toys we have had did not last very long. Our dogs don't seem to eat them, they just reduce them to a pile of chunks or shreds.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If you really have an aggressive chewer, then nothing but Kongs. It is not good that your dog attacks very hard things - and you'd struggle to crack a large nylabone with a hammer - with delicate tooth enamel. This is a very bad thing. If your dog views chewing hard things as a challenge, eventually the hard thing will win, and his teeth will lose.

8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Nylabones don't really seem to be that hard, at least not compared to real bones and sheds. None of our dogs have had tooth problems, and none have ever had to have their teeth cleaned. The vet always says they look good.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, maybe that's because of the way your dogs chew. Or maybe you'll find out that there is a tooth problem only when you have to book a dog in for a repair of a slab fracture at a cost of several thousand dollars and a great deal of pain and distress for your dog.