Boris the ball hound.

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Boris, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Boris

Boris Registered Users

Everyday in the last week Boris has disappeared into the bushes or off the Tarka trails and returned with a ball, some days he has found one on the morning walk and one on the evening walk. Balls this week, football,baseball, numerous tennis balls and 2 foam balls. If Boris finds a ball he will chase it for all the walk, if I bring a ball he only shows an interest in it for half a dozen throws.
    Boris is almost 2 and I think the training is beginning to pay off, he no longer rushes off to dogs, most times I can call him away, his recall is getting better, on the Tarka Trail he ignores bikes, usually I call him to come and sit but if I don't see the bike he ignores it ass it whizzes past.Joggers and walkers still a work in progress, he ignores most walkers, but if they speak to him he occasionally jumps up, joggers he still thinks they need some encouragement and so would like to run after them. So persevere with the training and one day it will all come together. I have just started agility for fun and think this is helping with concentrating on watching me and not being distracted by other dogs.

Naya, Emily_BabbelHund and soberbyker like this.
  2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

OH had great hopes that Pongo would find golf balls everywhere and keep him supplied. Alas no.

Although to be fair we have never been brave enough to let him anywhere near a golf course, so his opportunities have been limited...

Naya likes this.
  3. soberbyker

soberbyker Registered Users

Boris sounds like my Zeke. I take him to the park in the early morning, currently it's still dark when we go there. I bring a ball for Zeke to play with, I kick, he retrieves. While chasing the ball I brought he'd often run across something else he'd want to play with and bring it back instead of our ball. I wanted to use our ball. I got tired of going after our ball myself so I started stacking his bounty and having a seat until he brought our ball back. I did this a few times. I think he finally got that I didn't want all the other junk and now he may stop, sniff and kick another item a time or two but he always brings back our ball for another chance to retrieve.

[​IMG]

Naya likes this.
  4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

My backseat is filled with gross old tennis balls - Quinn finds a ball on every walk. Her most confusing walks are what to do when she finds multiple balls - keep the first one she found or go with the new one!? haha

Naya likes this.
  5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Good idea, those little suckers are HARD. I live on a golf course in Spain and people have whacked them not only into the garden but into the living room. Whenever one would come whizzing in, Brogan would scramble to his feet and disappear into the bathroom on the other side of the house. My brave little toaster. :rolleyes: I'm actually kind of surprised neither of us ever got hit...but it does mean I never have a shortage of golf balls. Too bad I don't play golf...but I'd happily donate them to your OH! :D

Naya and Rosie like this.