Brambles training Log..

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Beanwood, Feb 29, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh dear, poor chicken! Norty Bramble!

Has Benson stolen any more handbags recently? I think it's about time for a new one :)

bbrown likes this.
  2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson has been very good....taking his responsibilities as big brother very seriously. Bramble today snuck into the shed at the training ground of SWMBO, and stole a HUGE monkey....she was beside herself with excitement....

Joy, snowbunny, bbrown and 2 others like this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

:D Oh Bramble, yesterday chickens today a monkey :rolleyes: :D x

4. snowbunny

Oh, I think I know the monkey. Does it have ropes for arms/legs? My two fell in love with one when we were first there and we had to bring it home. For training purposes, you understand :rofl:

5. Beanwood

Bramble Update - Last night we went to an organised training class being held outside.Focus was working on mainly loose lead walking, meet and greet coupled with a new cue "lets go!" which basically is a change of direction, very useful cue. We also did a little recall work individually and then after an introduction to PREMACK, worked on an exercise to put this into action.

The class was held in a large outdoors rugby ground, so this was all new for Bramble. They also had held a dog event there the day before so a very smelly and therefore interesting ground. There were 7 other dogs too, ranging from mostly in the 7 months to 1 year range so Bramble was the youngest. The trainer was lovely, calm and very knowledgeable, I knew her anyway and really like her methods.

Several of the other dogs were a bit barky, which worried me a little, so we managed this with plenty of distance and C&T. Needn't have worried as Bramble was quite relaxed and really not bothered. Her loose lead walking was lovely, and when we were stood quietly she went straight into a relaxed settle mode. She was keen to do stuff, and we had a few very pleasant meet and greets. I loved the fact that the class was all on lead, with emphasis on very swift hellos with a cheery "lets go" when finished. No pressure on the mainly adolescent group and a lot of respect for where each dog was at in his training. The other dog owners were friendly bunch too!

Bramble was a model dog all the way through...eliciting lots of compliments on her calmness, and surprise that she was only 6 months old. Well, that was until we got to the PREMACK exercise. I think was tired at this stage, as it had been a long day for her. So,,, we had this cone, which a handful of high value treats were popped underneath, then each dog in the group (x2 groups of 4 with a helper) had to walk up, walk around. IF they ignored the cone they were released back and allowed the cone. Well err..Bramble (and me..) failed spectacularly at this game! She grabbed the cone, I let go of the lead...Bramble runs off down the field with said cone. The rest of my group were very polite in not showing their irritation!

Anyhow, a really, really useful training class, part 2 is next week all about the recall. So looking forward to that one!

I found this article whilst researching a bit on PREMACk. Lots of games are also based on the same principle, bucket game, and some of the exercises I am using now with Benson.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/shoddy-clicker-training-and-importance-premack

Karen likes this.
  6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Laps of honour with cones, bowls or indeed anything small and light enough to be carried (or heavy enough that requires dragging) is only to be expected. Have they never met a labrador before?

:facepalm:

7. Beanwood

Bramble waiting patiently for her turn. in this photo we have to walk loose lead around everyone then walk back to your place ad have the others loose lead walk around you :)

good girl.jpg

Joy, Stacia and snowbunny like this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good girl, Bramble.

Every trainer that knows Charlie says put the cones away now it's Charlie....I used bricks instead at one point! :D

Beanwood, snowbunny and bbrown like this.
  9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Zen bowl anyone?

I love your dog! SOOOOOO much xxx

JulieT likes this.
  10. Beanwood

Bramble is now 7 months old. We have taken her training at quite a slow pace compared to Benson. We are doing far more structured training in different places with different trainers and dogs, than we did with him. This seems to have helped her confidence no end. She is good with other dogs, naturally cautious so we are continuing to manage all her interactions with other dogs, a lot of dog walkers think that is really peculiar!

We have a fairly good verbal recall and have started working on a whistle recall, not too bothered yet though as the whistle will be used for a fast turn on the recall. We are using the ping pong exercise to encourage a quick response, plus throwing the treat behind me so she runs past- not to me.

She has a good settle, sit stay, and also we have cued heel as a position rather than walking beside me, I use "walk" as a cue for a close walk.
    Off lead she is fab, last week we spent the day at SWMBOs working on placeboard and targeting, there were approx 8 other dogs and we spent the whole time off lead working.

We have just started adding a bit of pheasant pelt and fur to her retrieving which she loves! Bit of a risk adding it so early maybe, but with Benson's famous pheasant pelt eating rampage I wonder if we started a bit late with him?

So her training has mainly been games, she loves the bucket game! Encouraging her to make good choices, and careful interactions with other dogs, ensuring that she meets a range of sizes and shapes and has very positive experiences with them. We are very gentle with her too, as she is turning into a sensitive thing, unless in the chicken run, she turns into a witchybitch then!

Attached Files:

bbrown, Cath, Joy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Very impressive, you must be very pleased with her. She looks very much like my younger dog Rourke.

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds great, she sounds and looks a little corker, you must be proud!

13. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Good girl Bramble

14. snowbunny

Oh, Bramble, you are the spitting image of Willow! It would be lovely to get them together one day :)
    She does look a little unsure at the start of the video (just like W can), but what a lovely happy tail when she comes back :)

15. Beanwood

Oops with everyone dusting off their training logs thought I had better update this one!

I haven't posted since Bramble hit 7 months old. She is now 10 months old, and has become very aware of her environment, and this coupled with her hitting adolescence has meant she has been a real challenge. You could describe her as "wilful" but of course but we know better, she is not that at all! I find it fascinating, (and frustrating..) that while we now have 3 labradors, they are all completely different!

Our main challenge has been the transition from slightly shy, 7 month old puppy to this large, leggy duchess who REALLY likes to hunt, she can cover a field and disappear so very quickly it's scary! So we are at quite a critical stage for her, as I really, really don't want this to develop into a learned behaviour based on her self rewarding, this also puts what is a very good recall whistle in jeopardy, if we are not careful. There is also what may be a sort of resource guarding pattern emerging. Whilst this is not necessarily a problem in itself, it could be if not managed....sigh..more on that later!

So right now, it back to basics, which we expected really. Working on giving her lots of opportunities to make the right choices, dialling the walking environment right back to as uninteresting as possible, but introducing a bit of uncertainty with me disappearing, or changing direction. We play hidden treats, some recall...ONLY when she is running towards me. Maybe a retrieve, depending on her arousal levels. Working a lot of keeping close, so I am happy for her to be in a sort of wide circle around me, approx 20 foot. A "check in" is rewarded heavily.

Retrieving - She doesn't appear to have a particularly high drive for retrieving, however at this point in time it really doesn't matter. When she connects her drive to a dummy, she may turn into a rocket, on the other hand she may never. All we want to do is harness what she loves to do in a way that makes her life as fulfilling and enriched as possible. There is also the fact she is young, and from a physical perspective very immature. She is gangly, her bottom is a different height from her withers, so the less "stop start" really the better!

Stop whistle - work in progress...using a target stick, this is working well, bit slower on the uptake compared to Benson. She has a good cue for "target" and can stop, but not transferring well without...hmmmm...I have a medium lotus treat thingy on order to see if that helps. I saw this work brilliantly at our gundog classes with Benson. You can also use these as a frisbee...Benson adores frisbees! :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medium-Lotus-Ball-Treat-Dispensing/dp/B01GOEJDWQ

Sit stay - we are starting to build duration, but still working with me close by. Bramble is young still, so I am sure if asking for a 2 minute wait is asking for too much. I would rather have a nice 30 second, but solid sit, with Bramble able to generalise this behaviour in different situations. hmm...need to discuss this at our next gundog class.

Gundog classes. Bramble goes to group gundog classes, once a month with SWMBO, at level 2. We learn so much at these, although Bramble does tire very quickly. There again, despite her appearance, she is still a pup, still growing and a right mare right now!

Will be taking her out and tackling a little bit of woodland. So wish me luck! :)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I am finding stop with Betsy a million times more challenging than with Charlie! There is a huge advantage to a ball obsessed dog like Charlie (Betsy is not) and that's training a stop whistle is the simple matter of saying Hey, Charlie! holding up a tennis ball and blowing a stop as his bum hits the ground. :D:D:D

17. Beanwood

Glad I am not the only one! Benson will skid to a stop if it means he gets one of his favourite squeaky chuck it balls! Still haven't found that "magic" switch with Bramble...

18. Beanwood

First of Brambles Group 2 gundog lessons yesterday, she was originally in Group 1 (pups up to 12 months) but as she has quite good focus already she was moved into Group 2. Perfect timing (not) as she has well and truly hit adolescence! Bramble was pulling a bit on lead, not so much to get to the other dogs, but very interested in her environment, and responding to the excitement of the other dogs, so that was a bit challenging!

Despite the awful weather we all had a great time! The training grounds are terrific and we spent time working in the different set ups. Today we looking at balance and co-ordination for Bramble, so jump on logs and turning. Exploring strawbales, up and over.

We also as a group focused on the stop whistle, which was really useful, as I don't really think we have got that nailed. It was also very helpful to watch the other handlers, to see the different perspectives on training, Think I might be a bit vague in my marking of the stop, so allowing Bramble to creep, need to sharpen up on that one! Lots of tips and homework needed ready for our next session in December.

As a group we sat down with coffee and cake to discuss a bit of theory. Looking at incentives vs bribery. This is an important concept to get on board,( do we really understand what motivates our dogs?Toys, food, whipit etc...) Bribery is a reward they see in front of them, there is no real thought, or internal processing going on. Incentivising though, is more about an internal connection linking the behaviour to the incentive. You don't need the incentive on table or in your hand so to speak as the dog has linked this into a chain of events, well that is my take on it! We mulled over that for a bit whilst we all warmed up!

The highlight for me (and OH..) was the scurry. The training ground has 2 scurrys, one 6x single bales, the other 6x double bales. When it was our turn we naturally headed towards the smaller scurry..oh no..SWMBO says, she can manage the double straw bales, if she falls it's only straw, she will be fine..(she will???) Well, she was lined up in a heel, dummy dropped at the other end...and... she well flew!! I was wonderful to watch, a bit heart in mouth, but she was straight out and fast. She looked at the helper at the end, tried to give him the dummy, a bit puzzled why he had dropped it in the first place, .then with whistle and she sprinted back with perfect hand delivery. She did it twice, and she loved it! :)

In summary, well worth the soaking, wind and cold! Can't wait until the next one...:)

Xena Dog Princess, snowbunny and Joy like this.
  19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Sounds like a brilliant day - well done to both Bramble and you.

20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think you have been training about 40 minutes away from me :) I recognise the straw bales; have had a one to one lesson but have not heard back yet for another lesson.