Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by KeeperTony44, Oct 23, 2014.

1. KeeperTony44

KeeperTony44 Registered Users

Morning everyone, both human and canine. My name is Bud. Some of you know me through other postings on this site. My parents thought it would be nice to share my story as it progresses over the years, but as it appears i do not have the ability to write i am enlisting the services of my daddy Tony to put my voice into words that you can all understand. Be gentle and patient with him as he is getting on a bit now, bless him.

I was born on 28th July 2014, and i am essentially 3 months old now. Don't i just look adorable (so people tell me. Who am i to disagree.)[​IMG]P1040697 by literarytony, on Flickr

This photo was taken whilst i was in my mummy's arms, sleeping in one of my many strange positions. I was so tired even the flash from the device daddy calls a camera could not wake me. I do so love my naps and i take them regularly. In fact, i am going to take another one now....eating breakfast, playing with my toys, and irritating daddy as he tries to type is extremely draining. Mummy is not here at the moment as i think she is still sleeping. I miss her when she is not here but when i am sleeping i can see her in my dreams.

Anyway, tail wags and licks to you all. See you soon. Woof.

(apologies for the shrinking of the photo...something technical must have occurred that even my daddy cannot fix!!)

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

What a gorgeous little face and scrummy tum he has ;D

3. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hey Bud, good to meet you!

I'm Pongo and I'm a big boy of nearly 11 months now (actually I am a VERY big boy, I'm 37kg). You are going to have a great time - looking after humans is quite a responsibility but they are really very sweet and you'll soon lick them into shape. I recommend training them on the easy things first... for example, train them to give you a biscuit every time you do those puppy-eyes; train them to give you a biscuit every time you have a wee (this seems to work best when you wee outside, by the way); train them to recognise that you are the centre of attention in the household from now on and that your needs come first. I've found that it is most effective if you let them believe they are in charge (aw, bless 'em!), even although you know for a fact that you have them wrapped around your little dew-claw.

Speak again soon, mate

Pongo

4. David

David Registered Users

;D

5. KeeperTony44

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8427.msg119161#msg119161 date=1414053975]
    Hey Bud, good to meet you!

I'm Pongo and I'm a big boy of nearly 11 months now (actually I am a VERY big boy, I'm 37kg). You are going to have a great time - looking after humans is quite a responsibility but they are really very sweet and you'll soon lick them into shape. I recommend training them on the easy things first... for example, train them to give you a biscuit every time you do those puppy-eyes; train them to give you a biscuit every time you have a wee (this seems to work best when you wee outside, by the way); train them to recognise that you are the centre of attention in the household from now on and that your needs come first. I've found that it is most effective if you let them believe they are in charge (aw, bless 'em!), even although you know for a fact that you have them wrapped around your little dew-claw.

Speak again soon, mate

Pongo
    [/quote]

Hi there Pongo,

Thank you for becoming my first friend. It feels awesome to have a pal i can look up to, and probably get up to mischief with as we love to have fun don't we?

Daddy noticed i wasn't fully asleep (i need to try harder at pretending) and made me aware of your message. I leapt out of my second bed in our living room, eager to reply to you.

I think i have my parents trained pretty well at the moment as i receive treats every time i use the toilet. I felt a little sad when i once or twice had what i believe is classed as an "accident" inside our home and i was not offered a treat. I wondered what i had done wrong. I now know though that it is not very polite or hygienic to foul anywhere within the home-which is rather odd because my parents do so many times a day!! Granted, never on the floor but it would appear one rule for them and another for me. Still, i am not complaining. I have a wicked little corner of the garden set aside just for me, and it always smells clean and scented.

I think my parents are aware that if they gave me treats every time i give them my puppy eyes, then i would be living on a diet of mainly treats. And even i know that this would not be healthy so i don't expect them all of the time. I do notice sometimes though that strange little extra morsels of food appear in my bowl. They taste absolutely scrumptious but i am learning never to expect these things. I think mummy sneaks them out when i am not looking.

(Yawn) Wow, was that me. It really is tiring being a puppy. But i love my life, and i love my parents and i feel loved in return. That is a very warm feeling. I know that they will always put me first, but i like to sometimes give them their space too, which is usually when i am taking a nap or playing.

Right, i am going to get that sleep i am obviously craving. It has been a real blast meeting you Pongo, my friend. Have a fantastic day. Catch up with you soon.

Bud

6. KeeperTony44

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=8427.msg119160#msg119160 date=1414053547]
    What a gorgeous little face and scrummy tum he has ;D
    [/quote]

Thank you Stacia for your very flattering words. :)

7. KeeperTony44

[quote author=David link=topic=8427.msg119163#msg119163 date=1414054104]
    ;D
    [/quote]

Very much appreciate your smiley recognition of my words. Here's one in return. ;D

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley loves making new friends too ;) Pongo is one of her good friends along with a Benson, Casper, Holly and Penny. She loves going on long walks with these guys :) She is very friendly and says she has her humans trained to her every whim ;)

9. KeeperTony44

Good Evening Harley, and your human Naya. A pleasure to meet you both. So you're friends with Pongo. That is so cool. He introduced himself to me earlier today and imparted some wise words. I am yet to meet Benson, Casper and Penny but i think i have made the acquaintance of Holly, through her human (to use your term.)

I have had quite a relaxed day today, watching my daddy cooking and cleaning, and almost falling asleep it seemed. Something about my little cold nose nuzzling his neck, and my warm tongue licking his face prevented him from taking a nap.

My parents are rather puzzling at times. We received a...what was it mummy called it before she went to work...oh yes, a catalogue. It just appeared on the floor through a gap that opened in the door. I was really intrigued and when it had been placed on the sofa for a few minutes i thought to myself that they are not that interested in it, so maybe i could play with it. So i reached up onto the sofa and pulled it onto the floor and oh the joy of all this paper spreading out beneath me as i ripped piece after piece into small pieces. My parents seemed to be laughing so i knew i was pleasing them. But then after a while daddy brought in this object that began to remove all of the paper from the floor. How dare he? He always puts my toys away under the table too every so often. But i make a game of it and pull them all out again and then one by one run out with them into the garden. They are not with me when i return. This is a fun game and keeps daddy active. Stops him sleeping.

I am going on my second long walk today to meet mummy from work. I have had short walks since it has been safe to take me out following my vaccinations, but this is my second of any real length. Daddy picks me up if he senses i am tired but i like to continue with the walk after a while as i find the outdoors so exciting. Daddy takes treats, and water, and he is always removing the solids i release onto the ground. And i haven't even had to train him to do this.

Well, i am going to go and play for a while, and get under daddy's feet (it is so funny watching him dance around to avoid standing on me.) Then i will take another nap before we go out. I have enjoyed meeting you and i am sure we will talk again. And you will always be able to hear about my days as i am going to be sharing them with you as much as i can.

Bye for now.

Bud

10. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hi Bud, good to hear you've had a good day. And I'm glad you've met Harley - she is lovely and Very Very Fast. One day I am going to catch her. She is Very Pretty <blush>.

I love paper too. On Saturdays my humans get something called the Saturday Telegraph and we all have our favourite sections. Mummy reads the Gardening section, Daddy reads the Sports and Review sections, and I always get the Motoring section. I have learned quite a lot about different makes of car.

Night night, Bud - speak again soon.

Pongo

11. KeeperTony44

Hey Pongo. Really great to hear from you again. Hope your day has been good to you.

I don't think i would be able to catch Harley as my little legs are still growing. I manage to keep up with daddy when he breaks into short jogs but i don't think his speed could even match yours, let alone the lovely Harley. And do i detect a little coyness in you my friend? I saw your blush when you announced that Harley is pretty.

I have heard of this Telegraph paper you and your humans read. It sounds like your mummy has similar interests to my parents, but don't ask any of us about cars (not that you would come to think of it as you are already so knowledgeable). Maybe my mummy and daddy could learn a thing or two from you.

Missing mummy right now. She works really hard to help provide for me, but it is not the same when she is not here. Will see her soon though.

My friend, you have a lovely night. Catch up with you soon.

Night night.

Bud

12. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hello Bud, I'm Maisie and I've heard all about our friends, Harley, Pongo, Holly, Benson and Casper, but sadly I live too far away from them to meet them, but I have heard all about their antics from my Mummy!

Just wanted to say hi! I'm a bit tired really as I've just got back from training in the rain (I don't like the rain, it ruins my lovely red coat and makes it look brown, which is not a good look for a girl!). I'm giving mummy a hard time at the moment with training, I keep hearing her say that it's my age, but I'm just trying it on really to see if I can get some extra treats! he he!

I love paper too, but I REALLY love cardboard and can make a really big mess with them! Mind you, they scare me a bit sometimes and I growl at them just to make sure they won't hurt me and then I tear them into lots and lots of tiny pieces! Great fun.

Well, I'm due to have a snooze now, so hope you have a good night! I need to get some rest now as I have to be up at 5am to wake mummy up ;D ;D ;D ;D

13. KeeperTony44

Maisie....hello to you. A privilege to make your acquaintance. Like yourself, i think i may live too far from Harley,Pongo, Holly, Benson and Casper, and yourself. But i am more than happy to share conversation with you and them, and possibly share tips on how to stay on top of our parents.

Really sweet of you to drop by and say hi. Sorry to hear that you have had a tiring day, and i guess not much time for a nap. Is training really hard? What are you training your mummy to do? (teehee...that was naughty but funny.) I quite like the rain, the little i have experienced of it at the moment. We have been experiencing some strong winds where we live too that sometimes scares me when it makes something rustle behind me.

Ooooohh yes, cardboard. I have been introduced to this, and it is certainly immense fun seeing how many soggy pieces i can create. I have a tendency of pushing the things i tear underneath the sofa (not on purpose i assure you) and one day daddy shone a torch underneath and he jumped backwards as if something had scared him. I recall the words "spider," hairy," and "huge." It was left to mummy to pull out the sofa and it was a piece of my cardboard that had apparently created the image of something with hairy legs due to the angle of the torchlight and misleading shadows!!! Well this is what i heard daddy say in his defence. Bless him. Cardboard won't hurt you though Maisie. Well i don't think so anyway.

I will bid you a goodnight now as i may not be here, or awake, when you have had your snooze. I used to wake early and nuzzle against daddy who sleeps downstairs with me until i can safely manage the stairs to and from my room. But now it is either he who wakes me up early, or i eventually give him a gentle nudge if it is within an hour of my breakfast. I like to keep to a routine wherever possible.

Thank you for talking with me. Am sure we will chat again soon. Bye for now.

Bud

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi I'm Benson, rather a handsome dog if I say so myself! Good to meet you Bud, sounds like you have a good set up there...if you want more treats this is a good game...lift your paw and stick it on your owners knee..I know sounds ridiculous, and I feel faintly embarrassed...but when homemade liver cake is on offer, a lab has to do what a lab has to do....

My new bro Casper will be along later to say hello...he is out with one of my owners putting the ducks to bed and really enjoys that so he might be some time...catch you later Bud :) :) 8)

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello Bud! Nice to meet you! My name is Willow and we're nearly the same age, so I think it will be fun to hear about what each other has got up to as we grow up and get to do new things!

I'm a long way away from all my other forum friends, too, which makes me a bit sad, but my mummy tells me that as soon as I've had the second lot of vaccinations (whatever they are), I'll get to meet lots of new friends here in the mountains. I've seen some of the scenery from mummy and daddy's arms and it looks like great fun for running about in when I'm a bit older. They also keep talking about this stuff called "snow", which they're very excited about and want to see me play in. There's so much that I play with already, I really don't know what could be so special about this one thing. Still, I'll try to amuse them with a special show when the time comes.

Anyway, it's almost time for my evening nap, and I have to go and find the best place to put my weary head. Where will it be today? In my crate with its lovely warm floor they call "vet bed", on my day bed, or maybe on mummy's lovely furry slippers. I think I might go with that option, then I have something to chew if I wake up and feel a bit bored.

Night night, Bud, and I hope to talk to you again really soon!

16. KeeperTony44

[quote author=Beanwood link=topic=8427.msg119279#msg119279 date=1414089845]
    Hi I'm Benson, rather a handsome dog if I say so myself! Good to meet you Bud, sounds like you have a good set up there...if you want more treats this is a good game...lift your paw and stick it on your owners knee..I know sounds ridiculous, and I feel faintly embarrassed...but when homemade liver cake is on offer, a lab has to do what a lab has to do....

My new bro Casper will be along later to say hello...he is out with one of my owners putting the ducks to bed and really enjoys that so he might be some time...catch you later Bud :) :) 8)
    [/quote]

Hello there Benson. Always a pleasure to meet even more friends. Looks like i am going to be talking more than my daddy does soon. But i hear that it's good to talk!!

Homemade liver cake sounds like quite a delicacy. Not something i have eaten, to my knowledge. I do recall hearing the word liver used in conversation with my parents once though, and i saw mummy pull a really strange face and shaking her head. Now i know that means No so my growing intelligence tells me she doesn't like liver. Yet daddy does. Hmmmm, maybe the paw on knee might persuade him to introduce me to this liver substance. I definitely don't think it's something mummy will be sneaking into my bowl.

You sound very wise and mature, which i am sure you will appreciate hearing. And now you are an older brother and help share the responsibilities of looking after Casper, who has been mentioned to me today so it will be good to hear from him when he has the time.

Well, i must dash. I want to share a few words with young Willow before i take some time away for the night. Say hi to your brother for me just incase i don't get chance tonight. I will look out for him as soon as i get the chance.

Night Benson. Catch up with you soon.

Bud :)

17. KeeperTony44

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8427.msg119280#msg119280 date=1414090312]
    Hello Bud! Nice to meet you! My name is Willow and we're nearly the same age, so I think it will be fun to hear about what each other has got up to as we grow up and get to do new things!

I'm a long way away from all my other forum friends, too, which makes me a bit sad, but my mummy tells me that as soon as I've had the second lot of vaccinations (whatever they are), I'll get to meet lots of new friends here in the mountains. I've seen some of the scenery from mummy and daddy's arms and it looks like great fun for running about in when I'm a bit older. They also keep talking about this stuff called "snow", which they're very excited about and want to see me play in. There's so much that I play with already, I really don't know what could be so special about this one thing. Still, I'll try to amuse them with a special show when the time comes.

Anyway, it's almost time for my evening nap, and I have to go and find the best place to put my weary head. Where will it be today? In my crate with its lovely warm floor they call "vet bed", on my day bed, or maybe on mummy's lovely furry slippers. I think I might go with that option, then I have something to chew if I wake up and feel a bit bored.

Night night, Bud, and I hope to talk to you again really soon!
    [/quote]

Good Evening Willow. Nice to chat with you. Hope your day has been a blast.

I think i have heard of you through my daddy...he has spoken with your mummy i think when he has been seeking out some advice related to little old me.

I have had all of my vaccinations now. Felt really drowsy after the second and the last, but i understand it is to prevent us getting really ill. How have you coped with your first?

I have seen pictures of mountains and snow.....it really looks like an amazing playground for the likes of us. I don't think i live in an area with such a bright landscape, but i have heard daddy and mummy talk about winter snow. He is hoping for a good winter,which for him is plenty of snow covering the ground. Mummy is not so keen on the cold generally so snow is not her best friend. I think though she will play out with us. I certainly believe it will be an amazing experience. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Wherever you have decided to lay down your head, i wish you a comfortable and relaxing sleep. If you have opted for the slippers then enjoy. I too love to chew on anything i can get away with chewing. Daddy tries to prevent me chewing his slippers, and ends up taking them off and placing them out of reach. So instead i chew on his toes!!!

Night night Willow my young friend. Speak with you soon.

Bud.

18. KeeperTony44

Good Morning Friends,

What a night!!! It was quite a stroll to meet mummy from her workplace (daddy picked me up every so often to save my little legs from getting too weary,) but it was a walk i really enjoyed as i met a few friendly strangers who wanted to pay me compliments and stroke me......and i returned their kindness by watering their shoes!!! That's what happens when i get too excited.

The best part of my night i have to say was when i got home. I was really, really tired as i had missed my nap before bedtime......yes i have such a nap. As i was preparing to settle down in my second bed, mummy picked me up and carried me upstairs and before i knew it i was in a new world of softness with my mummy lying beside me. I believe this was the parental chambers and i took daddy's place because i had been such a good boy. I have to say it was most comfortable and i don't remember much else because before i knew it i was in that place us puppy's go when we close our eyes.

This morning i will be going out to visit family...which is so much fun because there is this little old lady who makes a fuss over me. I think she wants to keep me but i love my mummy and daddy too much. I wonder if there will be extra treats today, and maybe i will return home with another new toy. That will please daddy as he will have more of my playthings to put away....which means more for me to drag straight back out onto the floor.

Well, time to go for now. Think i need a trip to my special corner.....and even if i don't it gets me a sneaky treat!! Have a lovely morning everyone.

Bud :D

19. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh boy. Bud, you've cracked it. Here's me, nearly eleven months old, and I've NEVER gone up those 'stair' things. To begin with there was a gate in the way; then once I sneaked half-way up when the gate was open and mum was SO ANGRY and shouted at me and called me a..... I can hardly bring myself to say it..... a 'Bad Dog'. I've never forgotten that, it was horrible... I know that I am frequently a Naughty Boy ;) , but that is the only time that I've ever been a.... Bad Dog.... :( .

So now even though the gate isn't there any more I never, ever, ever, ever, ever think about going up the stairs. I just lie at the foot and gaze up at them.

I wonder if there is a new world of softness up there, like there was for you? I wonder if I should be brave and venture up there some day when they are not at home? Bud, you have given me a lot to think about.

Pongo

20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Pongo - OMG, you have NO IDEA!

So, yesterday evening my mum decided I was big enough and "reliable enough", whatever that means, to have more access to the apartment than the living room where I had been living up until now. So, she removed the barrier so now I have free run into the dining room, kitchen and the big hallway. There appear to be three rooms still off limits ... the small room where the humans go to get wet and make funny smells (Mummy said something about some special paper and me being an "Andrex puppy" that I didn't really understand). Then there's the room where the two little furry strange-smelling things ("ferrets", I think) spend most of their time sleeping. I really wish I could get in there. They have SO MANY toys and sleep all the time instead of running round chewing playing with them! The last room I'm not allowed in is the place mum and dad go at night time. I have no idea what they get up to in there that takes them all night long! Anyway, this morning my mummy forgot that I wasn't confined to the living room and, when she went to change out of her night time clothes into her daytime clothes (weird habit, if you ask me!), I slipped in behind her.

There is a big contraption in the middle of the room, a few inches from the floor. Pongo, believe me, you haven't lived until you've seen this thing. I was so overcome, I just had to bounce straight onto it. I couldn't believe how soft it was. I was in heaven. I bounced, I rolled, I slithered all over it. I jumped off in excitement and then straight back on to do it again. Mummy knew I wasn't supposed to be in there and tried to catch me, but I was having so much fun, I just kept bouncing away. And she was laughing so hard, too, that she was even slower than normal - why are humans so slow, huh? Eventually she caught me and threw me onto my back, so I let her rub my belly for a few minutes because I know how much she likes it. Then she carried me out of the room and back to my bed, which suddenly didn't seem so cosy anymore.

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for the next opportunity to get in there. I wonder if they'd let me sleep on it one day too, Bud? I have to admit I'm a bit envious you got to do that!