Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by KeeperTony44, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Re: Bud's Story (an ongoing diary)

Bud, that is a brilliant idea! I'll go out right now and see what gardening I can help with! I know the earth is getting nice and warm now and there are lots of green things beginning to pop up, so I'll go and dig some up and bring them in to cheer up mum and dad!

BRILLIANNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bud - I feel much better now, and I'm off outside to cause some mayhem!

(That MAZE sounds good. You'd better keep an eye on your people, they are not nearly as good as we are at sniffing so they are going to need your help A LOT.)

Yer mate
    Pongo
    xx

2. KeeperTony44

KeeperTony44 Registered Users

You are welcome Pongo. Really pleased that i was able to help you in your time of need. Enjoy your gardening, and i am sure your mum and dad will beam with delight, showing all their teeth, when you stroll in with some lovely fresh greenery to brighten up the home ;D

I will tell you all about the maze once i have visited it.

Heading off for my snooze now so have a fantastic day now that you have a new found sense of duty. Warmth from me and my parents to you and your mum and dad. Hope they get better soon.

Your mate Bud :)

3. Granca

Granca Registered Users

More lovely photos, Bud! Mum says your eyes look kind, just like mine. :) Tuppy's eyes always look big, probably because she's keen to see what she can get up to next. ;D

We've been spending time in the garden because 'the grandchildren' have been playing with us. I think we'll be bored when they go home, so lots of sympathy going to Pongo.

Mum has been gardening too so, as usual, we're keen to help. She's even been very brave and has bought some new plants and ... so far ... Tuppy hasn't decided to move the plant pots. She HAS been rearranging the empty pots, though. (I hadn't thought about Tuppy taking a little piece of me when she takes my blanky ... That makes me feel a bit better about it.)

The maze sound very exciting, but Pongo's right - you'll have to watch out for your people, as they're going to need your help. Perhaps you'd better practise barking too in case you all get lost! ;)

I hope your dad soon feels much better and able to resume your longer walks again. Meanwhile, I'm sure you're helping him a lot by just being with him.

Well, it's been a busy day, so time to have a nap now. Chat again soon.

Wispa

4. KeeperTony44

Good Morning Wispa,

Thank you so much.......i like to think that i am a kind and loving dog, which would match my eyes. Really nice of your mum to say such a lovely comment.

Dad managed a longer walk with me this morning, though i still detected a little weakness. I think i am behaving much more calmly on our walks now, especially when we are walking along paths and beside roads. Dad has started attaching a double-ended lead to my harness and his jeans which allows me freedom to walk but remain close to his side. And with the halti controlling my head i look like a most obedient dog a lot of the time. I still have my moments of trying to pull ahead, or rush towards a delightful smell, but i am certainly improving. Dad sometimes tries to have a little run with me beside him but stops shortly.....probably too soon for such activity. But it is a lot of fun running almost side by side and once i learn to stop jumping up to catch my lead, and concentrate more on the path ahead of me, these will be nice little bursts of exercise. Of course, once we reach the park and woods.....i run, run, run, run, skid, slide, roll over, and then run some more. ;D

We don't have other humans visit us - i think this is because of dad and some part of his health. Some of the parents of my friends here are aware of this i think. I know dad feels very secure at home. I sometimes visit some older people related to mum, and there is a young human next door who sometimes gets me excited when i hear him outside and i get taken out to say hello. But i am quite content with mum and dad for company. I know dad really wants me to have long sessions of play with other dogs, and i like the sound of this, but most of the dogs i come across when out don't want to play, and i think it is because i am too excitable and strong. Some of the humans seem very protective of their dogs when i am leaping around and crying out with pleasure. But all i want to do is play. You must feel very lucky to have Tuppy to play with when the grandchildren you mention are not with you. Even though she can be very naughty at times, you are great company for each other, especially when your mum is busy.

Gardening is so much fun isn't it. I get pleasure just watching dad and mum moving things, and digging, and cutting the grass shorter. I help sometimes picking up small soft sticks, grass pieces, soil,and then swallowing them to save space ;D But i don't think i am quite as helpful as Pongo, or Tuppy who is very clever to be assisting in rearranging the empty pots. We have some lovely colours to look at at the moment - dad says they are TULIPS and wow....such a mass of different colours and still quite a few to bloom apparently. I sometimes try to bite the heads off but dad is very, very quick to stop me.

This 'getting lost in the maze' thought seems very serious Wispa....both yourself and Pongo are advising me to take control of this walk when it happens. I will keep your advice in mind and keep nose to ground. If there is a risk of getting lost then i will help us find our way again (dad is raising his eyebrows and widening his eyes. Maybe he thinks he will be fine in guiding us through the maze safely.) :)

Well Wispa, it will soon be time for my breakfast. And then some crazy play time. And then a nap. I heard talk yesterday of a bath which is something mum and i enjoy every so often (dad ended up wetter than me the last time he gave me a bath .) ;D

Take good care my friend. We will catch up again soon.

Bud

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello everyone!! Willow here again!

You lot are SO lucky! You obviously have much, much, MUCH more food than me! Mummy says I'm 18 KEELOHS which is a lot less than everyone else, and less than HALF of Pongo! Pongo, you need to teach me your secrets for getting more dinner!! I'm still a little bit bigger than Shadow, but he's catching me up quickly and there's only a teeny tenny bit between us now. He's also a bit taller than me now, but he's still a scrawny thing. I don't know what you find so appealing in that, Bella.... he's just a silly BOY! Mummy keeps laughing and saying that I behave like a PROPERDOG when I sit looking regal, but Shadow is a NOTADOG because he is so silly and not dignified at all.

Things have been quite quiet here recently. Mummy and Daddy have been out all day long, so Auntie Sarah has been coming around and taking us out for loooong walks with our friend Alfie. That has been fun, and he has been teaching us about streams and how it's OK to go and paddle in them. Now the snow is starting to go, the water is a bit warmer and we both like to get our feet, and sometimes our tummies, wet. It's not deep enough for swimming, though, but Mummy says we'll go and visit some LAYKES soon (LAYKES sounds like CAYKES, I wonder if it's the same?). Mummy says the time for skiing is now finished and so ALL the snow will be going, revealing lots more fun stuff for us to go and investigate. It sounds very exciting.

Pongo, I know what you mean about the hoomans when they're ill. Mummy has a cold at the moment and she's acting very slow and sluggish when all we want to do is play, play, play! Then, just as I settled down next to her on the sofa for a sleep, she did a massive loud noise from her nose which woke me up and scared me! I just think it's all a bit unnecessary. I hope that your hoomans are feeling better soon, and Bud, I know that you'll be looking after your daddy as best as you can when he's not feeling "on top form" as Mummy put it.

I'll be back to have a chat again soon.

Wx

6. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8427.msg156257#msg156257 date=1428912004]
    I'm still a little bit bigger than Shadow, but he's catching me up quickly and there's only a teeny tenny bit between us now. He's also a bit taller than me now, but he's still a scrawny thing. I don't know what you find so appealing in that, Bella.... he's just a silly BOY! [/quote]

Hi Willow, Bud, Pongo, Tuppy, and everyone...

:* :* :* Shadow is so lean and elegant and has such a dapper face....and he reminds me of my doggie daddy Duke....he was yellow too...so I have a soft spot for yellow boys. :* :* :* Mommy says it might just be puppy love...but what does she know... :* :* :*

So just the other morning, it SNOWED again. I got to zoom around REALLYREALLYFAST...and chase pine cones and just be a happy dog. ;D ;D ;D ;D When I got home after daddy's werk that day the snow was all gone though.... :( This is a funny time of year I think...flowers and snow...together... :-\ :-\ But at least the days are longer, so chances are better for mommy to take me outside to play and swim after her werk too.

I FINALLY figured out where she puts my swimming toy when we get back to the house. :eek: Mommy has been very sneaky about it, distracting me when we come back with my towel and drying me off and giving me dinner....so I didn't see where she put it. But yesterday....I sniffed and sniffed, and I found it!!! She hides it behind the light by the front door! :eek: So I just bounced and barked and bounced and barked...and tried to climb the sideways trees that make my house...but I couldn't get it....Mommy came out and laughed at me ::) but I just bounced up and down SOOOOOHAPPY until she got her coat and said we could go play. 8) 8) 8) 8) I got to do lots of swimming and zooming around the field...and I watched some of the deers hop away...and got to smell lots of stuff....it was FABULOUS!!!!

Oh...that reminds me...was it you Bud? did you say I should play with the WULVES?!?!?!??!? :eek: :eek: :eek: I don't think that's a very good idea....they are wild animals, Bud....and dangerous. They even smell dangerous. :eek: :eek: :eek: I haven't actually seen them yet...only smell that they have been in the field. Mommy says that where we live in Americuh, there are lots of dangerous PREDITORS...that don't like nice doggies like us, and they will try to hurt us and maybe even KILL us :eek: :eek: :eek: Mommy says we need to be SMARTANDSAFE when we go out. I don't know why the PREDITORS are like this....probably because they don't have very nice beds, and mommys and daddys to give their love too. Mommy says that for you in the YewKay...you don't have so many dangerous PREDITORS like we have...you just have FOXEZ which are smaller but could still be dangerous.

I just stay close to mommy and it's all ok. Crystal sometimes runs out in the woods away from mommy ::) but since she's so big...mommy doesn't worry about her and PREDITORS.

Well, time for me to go help daddy with more cardboard. ;D ;D

Your Americun friend,
    Bella

7. KeeperTony44

[quote author=sunsetpines link=topic=8427.msg156834#msg156834 date=1429135764]

Oh...that reminds me...was it you Bud? did you say I should play with the WULVES?!?!?!??!? :eek: :eek: :eek: I don't think that's a very good idea....they are wild animals, Bud....and dangerous.
    [/quote]

Hi Bella,

I believe it was me who said it surely would be fun to play with all of the animals in your area. I am just one very playful, friendly, pup who doesn't seem to realise the many things that are dangerous. I am lucky at home that no animals larger than me enter our garden, though i saw a FOX the other morning whilst out on my run. It dashed past me, stopped, sniffed and then ran away fast. Very rude if you ask me as we could have played chase and everything :) I suppose it is a good thing that dad is with me as it sounds like i could get myself in lots of trouble if i was on my own. Mum and dad would not let anything or anyone hurt me, and knowing this makes me feel so very safe, and i guess i allow myself to rely on this sense of safety. The mature part of me Bella is aware that what you are saying are very wise words, and i am glad you are cautious and don't take any risks. But i am still a pup who is young and bouncy and (here's a term i heard dad use recently that i like the sound of) 'throws caution to the wind.' I think it means that i like to be daring, and take those few paws forward beyond what would be deemed as safe. Perhaps a little foolish with my bravery. All i know is that i love being me and i love my life. That's good isn't it?

Well, off to watch the birds in the garden. They have breakfast before me, but then again they seem to eat all day. So unfair ;D

Keep well and safe Bella. Always a pleasure hearing how life is treating you all the way in America. ( I am sure also that Shadow thinks it is really cool that you have a soft spot for him.)

Catch up soon.

Bud

8. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

What does"dangerous" mean?

Pongo

9. KeeperTony44

Hey Pongo,

I believe dangerous is a word used to describe anything which could hurt us in some way. I think Bella is referring to animals that live near her being the type of animal that isn't allowed into our homes. These animals live in the outside world where they look after themselves, and this has led to them being much more wild and unable to play well with people or dogs. I think this is right anyway mate.

10. snowbunny

Hello everyone,

I don't think Pongo will ever know the feeling of "dangerous". He's so big, nothing could ever be scary to him!! I'm sure he's the biggest, bravest dog in the WHOLEWIDEWORLD. One day, I'm going to be like him, too, and then Bella might like me even more ( :* ).

Mummy says I need to eat more LARD.

That sounds good :)

Shadow

11. KeeperTony44

Hi Shadow,

What is Lard? (Dad has stuck out his tongue and said yuck...but i think things he doesn't like may still be very tasty) :)

Pongo is a big and strong pup isn't he? I hope i grow to be just as big as him, though i am already very strong. I want to be fast too as i so love to run, but i think i may have to be leaner to have very fast legs. I think.

Have fun Shadow.

Bud

12. snowbunny

I think Mummy is joking, because I've never tried LARD but anything that goes in my tummy is normally very tasty. Maybe if I breathe in and try to look super skinny, I'll get to try it! Mummy says that it's used for making things called pork pies, which sound delicious! I've never seen one, but she says that when we visit the YEWKAY, she'll be buying some to bring home but that I won't be allowed any! I think that's just mean. I'd let her eat a bit of my food if she wanted it, but she makes her nose all wrinkly when she smells it, as if she doesn't like it. She's strange sometimes.

13. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=8427.msg156852#msg156852 date=1429167661]
    What does"dangerous" mean?

Pongo
    [/quote]

Pongo,
    this is what dangerous means....these are wolves and bears. they live in the woods near my house. I've never seen one myself, but I can smell them...and I know that I don't want to get ANYWHERE EVEN SORTA CLOSE to them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sometimes at night time I can hear the wolves close to my house - as they howl really loud. On one long walk with mommy one day, we saw two places in the woods where all there was left was deer hair...and it smelled very strange. Mommy said that was probably the wolves. And one day when I was out back with mommy playing in the creek and chasing toys....I heard something....and it didn't sound right...and I couldn't see anything....but I looked at mommy and tried to tell her very clearly that I was DONE PLAYING and lets go HOME. I didn't feel safe. So we hurried back quickly - I was running ahead of mommy trying to get her to go FASTER.... and when we got home and told daddy....he said it was probably a bear and we were very SMART to come home. :eek:

A lot of times when we go play in the creek, my sister Crystal comes and plays with us. She is bigger than even YOU Pongo....and it's her job to keep us safe. She runs in big circles through the woods to check for danger...and then she plays with me...she keeps the dangerous stuff away from me and mommy.

Mommy said my life is different here than form my friends in the YewKay, and even from Shadow :* and Willow in Andorra. Mommy says that most of you live closer to more people that we do....we live in the KUNTREE...and mommy says more WILLDURNISS areas...But I have a good life, so it's all ok to me. I trust mommy and daddy and Crystal to keep me safe. ;D

Ok...I hope I didn't scare my friends with the scary pictures...I don't think you have to worry about them so much in your walking areas.

Your friend,
    Bella

14. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Gosh, Bella..... I have to say those big WULVEdogs and BEARdogs don't look very friendly. I don't think I'd want to play with them, I'm not sure they know the right rules for the biteyface game....

Better to stay away, like you say.

Pongo
    xxx

15. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lions and tigers and bears. Oh my!

Holly

16. KeeperTony44

[quote author=sunsetpines link=topic=8427.msg156964#msg156964 date=1429199955]

this is what dangerous means....these are wolves and bears. they live in the woods near my house.
    [/quote]

WOW Bella........you live close to these angry looking animals??!!! I will have to admit that they do look very, very, very wild and i don't think that they would want to play chase or tug, or ball with me. And maybe the bitey-face game would have a different meaning for them. There is still a part of me though that simply likes to play with anyone or anything that takes my attention-but dad has given me a very stern look and i think this means that just because i haven't come across any real danger, it doesn't mean that danger cannot present itself to me. In other words i need to be smart and careful, as well as my excitable and playful self.

Keep safe when out in your play areas Bella, and listen to your mum, and dad, and Crystal as they make sure you are not in any danger.

Your friend Bud

17. snowbunny

Mummy said she and Daddy found some footprints belonging to a BEARdog very near where we live a few years ago, right next to the leg of a deer. It's a path that we walk on all the time so I was a bit scared when she told me, but she said it's very very strange for them to come so close and there are normally people driving round in cars shouting out to be careful if it does happen. We definitely don't have those WULVEdogs, but we have HUSKEEdogs which look a bit mean like that and smell different to normal dogs. I don't like them and I make sure I stay away. They even make different noises to normal dogs. Someone Mummy knows has one call Alai and he scares me a lot. He is a bigbigBIG dog and makes me very scared when he looks at me with his icy blue eyes.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of the other animals that live here in the summer, though. I've already seen some HAIRS bouncing off in the distance and Mummy says there are lots of deer, too, which I'll have fun chasing. I saw one at a distance a few weeks ago, stuck in some heavy snow, but then it got free and bounced away. The things I am most excited about, though, are the MARMOTS. Mummy says there are lots and lots and lots and I can't wait to have fun trying to play with them. She showed me a picture and they look like real fun!!!

I can't wait to tell you about all our adventures over the summer, Bud and everyone. It's going to be FAB!

W x

18. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Oh Bella, those wolves and bears look really, really scary, :( I'm glad we don't have any HUGE animals like that. There are foxes in our garden and so I love rushing out to try to scare them if I see them! Mum says we have badgers too, but although I can smell something a bit different I haven't seen one of these badger-creatures. I don't think they're dangerous, though, and DANGER scares me a bit, even though I can be braver than Wispa.

We have lots of birds and squirrels, which Wispa is trying to teach me to chase (when mum's not looking ;) ). I wish I could fly, though, because the birds can woosh up higher very quickly and then sit out of reach, so it's not fair ... I jump and jump as high as I can, but those birds just laugh at me. :mad:

We've had some lovely games in the garden with 'the grandchildren' and even I have been a tiny little bit worn out after some of them. I've had lots of cuddles too, but my favourite is the 'wake-up' game because I can push open 'grandson's' bedroom door and bounce on him when he's still asleep! ;D Wispa helps me once I've opened the door and we lick his ears and his face. He's never really cross because he loves us a lot!

Time to do some bouncing now, I think! Have a lovely day everyone!

Tuppy

19. KeeperTony44

It would appear that dad likes sharing photos of me on my behalf. Here i am again enjoying a lovely relaxing day in the sunshine. Our garden now gets bathed in warmth for many hours of the day - i really love this time of the year.
    [​IMG] , o[​IMG] , [​IMG], [​IMG] , [​IMG] , [​IMG] This morning i saw a fox again as it ran out in front of me, looked at me with a quick hello, and then ran off. And i had a long run in the park where i ran, ran, ran, ran, slid, rolled, ran, ran, ran, chewed some grass, dodged dad, ran, ran, ran, ran, and then ran even faster towards dad and knocked him off his feet!!! ;D It was really great fun playing with dad on the wet grass.

Willow - looking forward to hearing about your Summer adventures this year. I hope to have some to share of my own.

All of my friends, have a lovely weekend. I hope the sun is shining on all of you.

Your friend Bud.x

20. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Bud,

The park sounds like a great place for running. I like running nearly as much as swimming.

Isn't this sunshine wonderful? Dad took me to the RIVERWYE today for a walk. It was so hot that I had a swim to cool down. Then another swim. Then we went through lots of woods to a KAFFAY where we shared a FLAPJACK. I didn't see a fox. I don't think foxes are very playful.

Dad says we will go to the doggy dip tomorrow if it's hot. Yay, another swim!

Take care,

Your pal, Holly