C-BARQ

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by JulieT, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

How would I go about posting Molly's chart?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tina, the way I did it was take a screenshot, then upload it to Flickr, then paste the BBcode into here as you do with a photo.

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

4. Oberon

Yep, that worked :)

To do a screenshot from an iPad or iPhone, simultaneously press the home button (the round one in the middle at the bottom) and the button that you normally use to turn the device off. It will take a screenshot that'll appear on your photo stream.

5. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Couldn't manage to do it from i pad so I took a photo and uploaded from desk top (how old fashioned is that)

I am very pleased with Molly's scores. It tells me what I already knew, she is amiable, excitable, and non aggressive.

How much is my good luck in her good nature ( I met her mum who just radiated amiability, just like Molly) and how much training is a very good question.

I think a lot of it goes to the very early weeks. Molly was always left for short periods from day 1, so when we go out she knows we will be back soon and settles down for a snooze.

When as a very small pup she was barking in her crate in the morning I would wait outside the room until she drew breath then erupt in full of smiles and praise for being a 'good quiet girl'.

She was very boisterous as a puppy, I would wait for spot of calm and stroke and pet her all the time telling her what a good calm girl she was. She is still exhuberant when greeting friends and family, but at least she now keeps both paws on the ground (just)

When she was very little, before her second set of injections and she couldn't be placed on the ground I used to carry her down the road and sit watching the traffic thunder past. Was a simple thing like that responsible for the fact that she happily walks along the ring road with massive artics thundering past and is unperturbed by them.

How do you quantify excitability? And how much is normal. I know one thing for sure...if dogs kept humans as pets, I would be pretty pleased when I saw another human:p

The aggression I can claim no credit for. I have never had an aggressive dog, none of my dogs have ever experienced anything but kindness from me. There are quite a lot of aggressive dogs out there whose owners drag away. Are they made or born?

Perhaps it is the trainability that she has scored so well that made those simple, early but oh, so important things easy to train.

I am pleased with and proud of Molly. I learnt a great deal from you girls, for which I truely thank you. And when you are going through the mill it is a great comfort to know that you and your dog are normal. So you have all played your part in Molly's success.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You have every right to be pleased with and proud of Molly. You've done a good job there.

I do think that the excitable dogs are coming out no worse than breed average because a great many young Labradors are excitable and boisterous. I did wonder, since we entered the dog's age, whether that was factored in.

7. David

David Registered Users

8. Oberon

David I took a screenshot of it and put it on my Flickr account.

Now why on earth does Lady get yellow for Trainability when she is basically bang on the breed average?

9. Oberon

Tina, you made a great choice of both parents and puppy, and then did a great job with training - so definitely pat yourself on the back :) She's a really lovely dog.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Just something strange going on with the yellows....it just must be a bug, but I'm going to email them and ask....

11. Oberon

Great :)

12. David

David Registered Users

Thanks. I'll have to open a Flickr account. No idea why training ought to be yellow, unless some of her good points balanced out some of her weak ones and came up with the average. In the narrative these items were listed.

Rolling: moderate concern (well fox pooh - what's a girl to do?)
    Chewing: moderate concern (I noted she has the occasional relapse)
    Mounting: moderate concern (if I'm doing something at ground level she tries the odd hump!)
    Begging: serious concern (on occasion she can be a real pain in the neck)
    Food stealing: serious concern (she won't do it if we are present, but anything else is fair game)
    Fear of stairs: moderate concern (ED I think)

13. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Hmm interesting! The only two green ones Mira got are the ones which I feel cause the most issues for us!
    Well ok, there is the chasing. Predominantly hares on the moor, but I confess to never having worked on stopping that. She will never catch them and she always comes back when she realises that! :eek:

Rolling: moderate concern
    Hyperactivity: moderate concern

Well she will roll in fresh fox poo, but it doesn't happen often and not so far this year (I've done it know haven't I? :rolleyes:) Hardly of moderate concern.
    As for Hyperactivity, well we are still waiting for the chilled-out lab to emerge... :)

14. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Hmm my chart disappeared. Will have to look for it later...

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

So....do we all think this is a bit rubbish?
    Should we all have dogs that are 100% well behaved every minute of the day?
    Think I will get a robodog......

16. Oberon

Well I think it's really useful to have a behaviour questionnaire that's been properly developed, reliable and validated and that can be used in research (and I'd guess shelters use this kind of thing too to assess dogs) or to assess change across time. The important bits are "properly developed, reliable and validated" and I've no idea if this one is those things.

Will be interesting what they say in response to Julie's query about the yellow, which doesn't seem to make sense.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't think it's rubbish - I think most people very much wanted to fill it in, so there is a demand for things like this.

Very few dogs came out as perfect and that's probably right - no dog is perfect. Looking across the results, most of us have normal looking Labradors, and that's about right too I reckon.

18. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I found the results interesting but perhaps people feel a little let down that the results didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know. Perhaps as it's a behaviour questionnaire we were looking for more insight into our dogs behaviours in the feedback- just a thought......

19. Oberon

If you have a behaviour questionnaire that has transparent questions (meanjng it's easy to work out what the questions are targeting) then the results should be no surprise. If the results are a surprise then there's either something wrong with the test construction or the person completing the test didn't have a lot of insight. So, it's a good thing if the pattern of results seems to be what you already knew :)

What most of us couldn't know though was what the normative scores were for Labradors as a group. So it's interesting to be able to compare your dog to a larger group - that's new info.

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

LOL - I think we all think our dogs are perfect ;)
    Its interesting and I think it reflects our honesty answering the questions.
    I really don't know how to interpret it as clearly we are being "judged" against the perfect dog rather than the norm.
    It's a research tool really though, isn't it, so the contextural interpretation may not really be relevant to everyday dog owners?