Calming tablets

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by snowbunny, Apr 12, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Has anyone had any success using tablets for calming their dogs? Things like Adaptil, Calm-Eze, NutraCalm etc?

I'm vaguely toying with the idea of getting some to see if they help alongside a desensitisation program for Willow with loud noises.

I'd be using tablets rather than a collar, diffuser or suchlike because we'd be outside for the noises.

I need to do a lot more research into the ingredients (does anyone else get irrationally annoyed by the proclamations of "All natural ingredients!!!", as if that must make it healthy?!), but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them?

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I got given some for Obi from the vet which I never used. I did get an Adaptil plug in to try and help with the barking when he was left alone but we did a whole bunch of things at the same time so it's really hard to ascribe benefit to that alone. I figure check the ingredients on these things, be happy they do no harm and then have a go.....

There are some supplements that claim to help too. I think dorwest and CSJ both have offerings.

3. snowbunny

I was looking at the Dorwest Scullcap and Valerian tablets. It sounds like something from medieval times!

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I have not but a lady at Rally trials had a special DAP collar for her dog that she was keen on. The trials I saw her at were inside but some are outside.

Thunder shirt? One of the programs you can buy to desensitize to thunder and maybe you can adapt it to other noises?

Love your comment on "All natural ingredients!!!" Tobacco started out all natural. So did alcohol, opium and a host of things that are dangerous even in very small amounts or are easily misused. On the other hand poison ivy was the source of the main ingredient in a homeopathic remedy we tried on Oban once.

5. snowbunny

I wouldn't use a thunder shirt on her, because I believe it would shut her down. Although, I'm wondering if that is vastly different to using medicines... :(

I've tried just gunshot noises on my phone, TV etc with no reaction (it's gunshot-type noises and blasting noises that scare her - she's fine with thunder and fireworks), although I did get a slight flutter from a YouTube video of a guy shooting partridge and ducks, so I'm going to play that through the TV during the day to see if it helps at all. Then, party poppers outside at a distance; if we can get her comfortable with those closer up, moving on to a kids' cap gun, then a starter pistol etc etc.

But, she gets so worked up, even wth distant bangs, that I think, if the tablets are to be trusted, they could give us a little extra help.

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I have an Adaptil plug in at home but think I may need to go down the tablet route too. My poor boy is not found well with going down the path where the thunder was.

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Fiona, I've used Nutracalm tablets for dealing with stress/anxiety/nervousness following a dog attack last summer.

Everything was a problem, and I mean everything....dogs she knew, dogs she didn't know, dogs on lead, kids, men, bikes, noises, etc, etc. Her reactivity on lead (which we hadn't had before) was awful. When on lead, I felt like I had an untrained, growling, lunging, barking beast on the end of the lead that had never seen a days training. Off lead she cowered down. I cried, a lot! Life had been turned on its head and we muddled our way through until last October when our lovely new vet suggested trying Nutracalm. Within days she was visibly more relaxed. Within weeks, I had people that had known her since she was a little pup saying how she seemed more relaxed and happy. This new calmness gave me an opportunity to work on her reactivity and fear. She's still not a 100%, but I'm not sure she will ever be after what happened to her. The good news is that the tables didn't make her drowsy, just a bit more relaxed.

http://www.nutravet.co.uk/nutracalm

I gave her 2 tablets once a day for 6 weeks and then weaned her off over two weeks with one tablet. You can only buy these tablets from a vet authorised to sell it.

Hope that helps.

Helen likes this.
  8. snowbunny

Thanks, I've looked at that one, but I can't get it here. I'll compare the ingredients to some of the others that are available without the vet.

It's useful to know that someone has had good experience.

I certainly wouldn't want it to be something we have to use long-term, whatever product it is (if, indeed, I even do use anything) - just something to take the edge off initially so I can get training in a way that will last.

9. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I've also heard good things about Zylkene.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Could you pop into the vet while you are in the UK?

11. snowbunny

I could, yes. I'll have a look and see what the ingredients are and if any vets local to my family are suppliers.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I looked up the ingredients when you mentioned it - I'm none the wiser! And there is no data sheet.....you'd need a vet that has looked into it.

13. snowbunny

The ingredients seem to be pretty similar to other tablets; the only thing missing form Adaptil is the passiflora incarnata (which, incidentally, I'm planning to grow at the new house :)), but I can't find the relative amounts for Adaptil.

Then there's things like Rescue Remedy (pet version), which is completely different. Then the scullcap and valerian, which is different again... all of which have both positive and negative reviews on different sites.

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Vets can prescribe much more powerful and effective medications than anything you can get online (which will be of unknown composition and unknown safety). Here vets can prescribe human anti-anxiety medication for dogs. And they can do blood tests if needed to make sure your dog's organs are all functioning fine beforehand. I would only go through a vet.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have to say, me too. I don't think Charlie has ever had any medication whatsoever that has not been either suggested or prescribed by a vet. Even the amount of salmon oil he gets was checked (my calculations) by his ortho surgeon.

16. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I bought some Adaptil spray but haven't used it yet. I was hoping to use it to assist our nail clipping desensitisation so I'll let you know how it goes. Obviously I'm not expecting miracles but I'm hoping it might just take the edge off (no pun intended!)

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I tried human rescue remedy on both Lilly and Sophie. Unconvinced it did anything for either of them.

18. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Well heck, I just thought it might help to tell you I WAS impressed with Rescue Remedy. I used it on a cat though. Our old girl had deaf cat howl and she would do it at times through the night, waking us. Should have recorded some of those howls and played them out the house at Halloween. They were awful. RR really calmed Ginger down and I only put dabs on her head, not down her gullet. Different critter, different problem but maybe worth try.

19. snowbunny

I tried RR on myself many years ago and it did nothing for me in the slightest. Most of these products have varied reviews, but I wonder how much is people expecting too much, or still subjecting their pet to something that it way beyond their capabilities and expecting miracles, rather than just taking the edge off. Or, maybe they're more effective for some animals than others. Or maybe they're all just snake oil.
    I'm seeing my vet in a couple of weeks, so I'll have a chat with him about it.

20. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Take a Valium. It'll make you as calm as your lab . . . at least as calm as mine who is on no meds. They say english labs have a calmer disposition than american labs and my Ajax at 6 months acts like a retiree on a beach holiday most of the day. I'm blessed.