Charlie's June Training - Teeth Cleaning

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, May 28, 2014.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Charlie's June Training - Teeth Cleaning

Thanks so much Jac, brilliant xx :D

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yay! Another recruit to the new teeth cleaners' club. :) :)

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Well done everybody!Come on Helen ,join the gang ;D
    I've had a few near misses with a crunch or 2 from the back teeth ....but you really get to know their mouth the more you do it.Dexter chews on his spare brush very methodically and resolutely as Rachael mentioned the other day ,So I've learnt to can gauge his movements pretty consistently ...it's not a job that I ever don't concentrate on though ,especially when I'm up round the back :eek:

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I've been reading and watching with interest. I've never cleaned Poppy's teeth.. yes, I admit it. Bad dog owner. But yesterday OH took her to the vet for her booster vaccinations. Vet checked her ears and teeth etc, and said she had the most beautiful, clean, sparkly teeth with no tartar at all! She is raw fed, and I think that must be what keeps her teeth so clean. :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm sure raw feeding is great for teeth. That's still on my things to do list. Having just got the vomiting/runny poo under control, it's towards the bottom of the list for now though. Will definitely do it.

Today, I put three microfibre finger gloves on my right hand - index, middle and thumb - and dripped toothpaste on them all. Sat him in a down on his mat on my left, with me sat on the floor, so with my left hand I could support his snout and lift his lips, and we managed to do a reasonable scrub round. No chance of doing the top surfaces of the molars with the finger gloves, and right at the back is hard to reach, but we're ok at the outside of the teeth, I think.

He is still a bit wiggley and licky, but less so each time. I'm not sure I'm getting to all the teeth properly as a result. But I reckon it's just a case of getting used to it, and a bit better at it, now.

6. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Well done charlie and julie :) You are making great progress

I have changed the way i am doing it with puzzle.

She now has a rubber bone in her mouth when her teeth are brushed. This means i can reach all teeth with no problem and saves my fingers getting chomped on. It is working really well so far. I can brush her teeth with a tooth brush and finger brush without any toothpaste at the moment but we are working on it. She is really enjoying it and so am i. She sits very patiently when i brush or run my fingers over her teeth.

I started with getting her to hold the toy and lifting up her lips, C&T for that, then running fingers over teeth C&T for that, then finger brush then normal brush, i want to get one of the cloth ones to use as i am not a fan of the rubber finger one but it does its job. I have also found that it is easier to do it if she is on her side or back.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yay! Well done Annabelle!

[quote author=Puppypal link=topic=6404.msg85083#msg85083 date=1401886497]
    She now has a rubber bone in her mouth when her teeth are brushed. This means i can reach all teeth with no problem and saves my fingers getting chomped on.
    [/quote]

I really think there might be in this as a technique, it's similar to Dex's chomp on a spare toothbrush.

Right, that's my next challenge, to find a technique so I can get to the molars properly.

8. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6404.msg85085#msg85085 date=1401886825]
    Yay! Well done Annabelle!

[quote author=Puppypal link=topic=6404.msg85083#msg85083 date=1401886497]
    She now has a rubber bone in her mouth when her teeth are brushed. This means i can reach all teeth with no problem and saves my fingers getting chomped on.
    [/quote]

I really think there might be in this as a technique, it's similar to Dex's chomp on a spare toothbrush.

Right, that's my next challenge, to find a technique so I can get to the molars properly.
    [/quote]

It is easier to get to her molars as her mouth is open so her two back ones are separated. Its also easier to get all round her teeth

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have been clicker training Hattie & Charlie's teeth cleaning regime for about a month and it's been so successfull. I only have to grab the bits and say "teeth" and they coming running :) Charlie jumps up onto the bay window seat and off we go, I can even clean most of his back ones now, he closes his eyes and seems to enjoy the whole experience and he is very relaxed, I have noticed a difference in the condition too. With the raw meaty bones, chicken carcasses and fish skin treats etc. I hope this will all help.

Hattie is not as keen but does let me do them, so hopefully she will be as relaxed as Charlie soon :)

I should add there are a few healthy fish treats to aid success ;) xxx

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Well done Helen :) Have to admit that I havent ever cleaned Sams teeth , had a good look and they are all lovely and white , Millie had hers cleaned and scaled when she was spayed but maybe its time to start, with both of them , prevention I guess x

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Well done :D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hey! That's fab! Well done!

I've kept up Charlie's routine - still with the finger micro cloths and outside only. We never got to using brushes and doing the upper surfaces of molars. But, still, it'll all help I reckon.

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yep, it will definitely help! :) I don't get to all of Obi's teeth, but it's still immensely worthwhile.

Helen, you've made amazing progress too.

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I use the micro cloths too they are brilliant as you can really feel what you are doing, I don't think I will try a brush. I think Rachael said that just doing the outside of the teeth was all that was needed, but I might be wrong :-\ I will keep going and see if I can do the upper surfaces of the molars, you never know, like you say every little helps :) x

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6404.msg95158#msg95158 date=1405461906]
    Yep, it will definitely help! :) I don't get to all of Obi's teeth, but it's still immensely worthwhile.

Helen, you've made amazing progress too.
    [/quote]

Thanks Rachael, sorry I was just doing my response while you were too ::) x

16. Oberon

Yes, our vet dentist said that the main goal is to do the outside of the teeth. The rough tongue tends to keep the inside of the teeth relatively ok. So although I think it'd be terrific to be able to clean all surfaces, just being able to do the outside is still very effective.

You're looking for white teeth and pink guns with no redness on them - don't forget to brush the gumline :)

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yep I'm doing the gumline too :)

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm doing the gum line, yes.

Charlie's gums and inside of his mouth were very pale pink, but have got darker over time - including under his tongue and the roof of his mouth. My vet says it's not an unusual thing on chocolates (he is a lab fan), it's just pigmentation, and I shouldn't worry. It's like his whole mouth is going darker. :-\

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We are going on holiday on Monday for 11 days so Hattie & Charlie's teeth will not be cleaned, will this affect what I have already done? x

20. Oberon

Don't worry, Helen, just resume your brushing when you get back :) I don't think it'll be a setback.

If you can leave them some chews (eg bully sticks/pizzles) that will help a bit while you're gone.