Chipped teeth

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Oberon, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Re: Chipped teeth

Interesting reading, thanks for sharing :)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No worries :) I will update once we see the dentist again on the 15th.

3. Sharon66

Sharon66 Registered Users

Interesting reading, thanks for advice re insurance, i dont trust insurance companies they do anything to get out of paying! Curious tho the tooth damage, are you sure its not his own lower teeth that caused it? If you found the cause I apologise I didnt read all of the comments
    Regards Sharon :)

4. Oberon

No worries, Sharon :) We did at first consider that his lower teeth might have been striking his upper teeth, but they do not touch at those points. It really had us mystified (and our vet!) before we saw the veterinary dentist. It turned out to be patches of weak (demineralised) enamel that basically had fallen off. The cause was a fever as a puppy at the time that his teeth were developing (tooth development is very sensitive to increases in core body temperature). There is a very regular pattern of weak enamel on his teeth and you can see it when you look closely, like rock layers in a cliff.

5. Oberon

This weekend we went up to Sydney to have Obi's teeth looked at again. I had noticed this black spot on one of his premolars (the second premolar), which I wanted checked:

[​IMG]

The black spot was on the enamel that was above a natural ridge in the tooth (the ridge forms the lower line of the black spot). The vet dentist said that this was an area of deteriorating enamel that was about to come off. Under general anaesthetic she removed it, sealed the sensitive layer underneath and filled the hole with the same stuff human teeth is filled with.

All fixed:

[​IMG]

She checked all Obi's other teeth and said that they are holding up well. All the work that was done last year is looking good. She in particular checked his lower molars, one set of which had no enamel at all until treated last year. There was a possibility he'd have to have these removed this time but they are looking fine. There were a couple of other things I wanted her to check on which I thought looked odd but which were just normal formations on the teeth.

So, pretty good really. She also said that we are doing a good job with the teeth cleaning :) Looking ahead we have to keep up the teeth cleaning, avoid hard bones (chicken, fish, rabbit, turkey and things of that ilk are all still fine), monitor his teeth for any changes and bring him back in a year for another check.

The post-operative patient in a recuperative pretzel-shape. He took ages to wake up after his treatment (an hour and a half rather then the more usual half an hour) and was still pretty much half-stoned for a couple more hours after that (some dogs just take a while to shake it off).

[​IMG]

For those who don't want to read this whole thread the story is this:
    When Obi was a puppy (before we got him, I always hasten to add) he had a fever that affected the development of the enamel on his teeth. The cells that create the enamel are easily disrupted by an increase in body temp, as happens with a fever. The end result was bands of weak enamel on his teeth and on some teeth no enamel at all. Dog enamel is very thin and the weak enamel had started to flake away. When the enamel comes off the sensitive layer underneath is exposed. This is intensely painful. The cure was to seal the sensitive layer and fill where possible (though the filling is mainly cosmetic).

Lessons I have learned:
    - Puppy fevers are bad and need to be treated to avoid teeth problems down the track
    - Check your dog's teeth regularly and get to know what normal teeth look like for your dog (all dog teeth are slightly different so you need to know what YOUR dog's teeth look like)
    - If you notice any changes (chips, cracks, discolouration) see the vet about it
    - If your vet says that the tooth is damaged but 'we will just leave it because it doesn't seem to be bothering him' do not accept this and seek the opinion of a veterinary dentist.
    - Damaged teeth hurt your dog just as much as they hurt you. Your dog is just more stoic than you.
    - If you have pet insurance and you have dental cover with it, to keep this part of your cover valid your dog's teeth need to be checked annually. This is very simple - just ask your vet to check their teeth when you go in for your annual check up and get them to record the teeth check on your dog's file.

An interesting fact:
    Dogs have three molars in the lower jaw but only two in the top jaw. The top set have been lost in the mists of evolutionary time. This means that the lower ones right at the rear have no counterpart in the top jaw and do not serve any function. In some small breeds the lower set have been lost as well (so you could say that they are more advanced :) )

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thanks for that update Rachael. Very glad Obi is ok - and also a good reminder to us all to check our dogs' teeth regularly.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Very glad Obi is ok.

Right, off to do the teeth check. I'm going to ask them to give his teeth a good check when he has his x-rays too (I ask everytime, but I don't think they do it really, I think they think I'm just fussing).

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Great update Rachael.
    I love that top picture with shiny white gnashers lovely healthy gums and so sweet hairy chin :*
    Hope Obi shakes off the pretzel pose.
    Feeling guilty I am not good at checking teeth :-\

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Had not seen your earlier posts, so found this very interesting; glad Obi has beautiful teeth now. Years ago I had a pup who had had a fever, known as Distemper and her teeth were affected, in those days no such thing as doggy dentistry.

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad Obi is ok :)

11. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Glad Obi is ok now.

Poor thing having to go to the dentist although I'm guessing it was as bad for you. ???

I have to say since all Obi's treatment I check my dogs' teeth very regularly. I hardly ever checked murphys teeth i didnt really think about it. Not sure scott and scout are too pleased about it. ;)

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Rachael your post is so thorough and detailed,thankyou,it will help,lots of people I am sure,I'm just sorry this has all been to obi's cost ,poor lad.Luckily you have been so on it and found him the best care and he won't have to suffer any pain from it.Poor love in the photo,he looks a bit dejected.i hope he recovered from the anesthetic as the day wore on ?i bet his recovery was aided with lots of cuddles,tummy rubs and treats and I'm sure the ducklings gave him a get well quack too ;D they look like they have done a superb repair job,they really are very skilled at what they do.What a painful condition this can be x

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's a very useful write up and I really hope that Obi is OK now poor lovely boy xxx

14. Oberon

Thanks very much, everyone :) He's all bouncy again today. The vet dentist is great and, while it's always stressful when your dog has to have a GA, we have total confidence in her. The important thing for us is knowing that we're able to get any problems taken care of so it's not painful.

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Glad Oni's dazzling smile is twinkling again and thank you from us too for your detailed explanations :D

16. Neve12

Neve12 Registered Users

One of my dogs had a slab fracture and the only way I found out was an unusual bad odor coming from her mouth. Off to the vet we went and the tooth had to be removed a day or two later. Also, if your dog is licking his/her lips excessively, or salivating, that's another telltale sign of something going on.

17. Oberon

I'm sure your dog was feeling much better once that was sorted out. It's amazing how they just don't let on that they are in so much pain...we have to be alert to the more subtle signs as you were.