Choc Charlie

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, May 21, 2015.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Happy to read this Julie and Charlie x

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Glad his social engagements are looking up xxx

Is the lady hoping that holding onto his ears will stop him chewing up her stick cos she's bang out of luck if she is :D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

:D:D:D:D

Hahaha - they were cool about the sticks. I left a rope tug/chew thing and a ball on a rope in the toy bucket as payment....:rolleyes:

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Cool Charlie with the super-gnashers...

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yes - forgot.

When Charlie got weighed at Cambridge he was 30kg. Eeeek! I couldn't believe it, and had them weigh him again....29.5kg, but he had his tail on the floor.

The vet saw him at Greyfriars, checked him over, and said he was fine and nice and slim. He still looks at his fighting weight to me - I can see the ends of his ribs when he is stood straight (that's the test). So I reckon the scales were wrong. No way he is 2kg over weight.

OH has put him back on a diet anyway, just in case. Poor boy!

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He doesn't look overweight in the slightest in his pics!

7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Not to me either! The scale must have been off!!

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie says thank you....please lobby to save him from further starvation!

Seriously though, he can't put on weight, it would be dreadful for him. So I'll have to pop him down to the regular vet on his walk this morning and pop him on the scales he normally gets weighed on.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We did a 50 minute walk this morning (it was 30 minute walking, 20 minutes sniffing really). We walked close to a spaniel with a ball in the duck pond, and 2 Labradors with tennis ball chuckers, and a beagle that wanted to play - I had a bit of honking type whining at the beagle, but he wasn't too bad. Plus an off lead terrier stuffed his nose up Charlie's bum, and Charlie just had a wee on its head and moved on. :D:D

So that's all made me feel a bit better...

10. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Haha! I love your style Charlie!

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie doesn't like to play with Terriers - if it had been a young Labrador bitch giving off "I wanna play with you!" signals, it would have been a very different story....:D:D:D

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just catching up now I'm around some consistent wifi again....so glad his assessment went well ....I really hope the elbow issue will resolve itself now he will be excersising 'more' and hopefully not compensating for the cruciate injury...Glad he didn't seem too nuts in his walk...you see he knows when he's given his Muma big of a fright and so then he's a good boy to show you all is not lost....
    Xxx

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Blue bone hydro day....he picked the bone himself from the toy basket. He loves getting to pick his toy. :D

He is walking in longer bursts now and is on his way back to iron man status....:):):)

[​IMG]blue bone hydro by Julie T, on Flickr

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I love imagining him picking his toy from the basket.... "Hmmm, what shall I have today?", like someone in a supermarket, rummaging through the fruit and veg :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, more smash and grab shoplifter than Waitrose shopper, but yeah.....:D:D:D He nips round everyone to make sure he gets to the basket to choose himself (rather than have someone do it for him) and has a good sort through to find the one he wants. :)

16. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Well done Charlie. Xx

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, Charlie had his physio assessment last night - it went very well. He is now able to start returning to normal, over a period of about 6 weeks. So he is allow 5 minutes a day off lead, building up by 5 minutes a week, until 6 weeks when he'll be having 30 minutes off lead and then the restrictions will be over apart from not really playing with any dogs in a crazy way - no mad rough stuff for another month after that.

This is very good news, as it's a full 5 weeks earlier than for his other leg, which is good going. :D Makes me a bit wistful as my gundog training holiday (that I cancelled, losing my money on my holiday cottage and so on) would have been next week. Not that he is able to go of course, but seems so close....

Anyway. We are going on holiday still, just not a gundog holiday.

I took him up to the duck pond which is close to a quiet park. This particular park doesn't have a lot of open spaces, so not a lot of football games etc.

At the end of the walk, I found an almost empty bit of space and wandered past the young mum with kids (Charlie on lead) and the kids said hello to Charlie - this was my insurance against Charlie later bounding up, they would know he was friendly. He didn't approach them, it was just-in-case though.

Let Charlie off lead and he just took off in a zoomie. :rolleyes: Deaf. Luckily, he ran in a big circle around me and didn't go far. Eventually, I got his attention and was able to reward him for his attention on me. Then he legged it to say "hi" to a young beagle who arrived in my previously nearly empty clearing. :rolleyes: Drat. I'll have to put him on a long line for a bit. As per....

Put Charlie back on lead and we had to sit down in the shade while he recovered enough composure to remember how to walk on his lead.

But he thought it a very good walk indeed. :):):)

18. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

That is absolutely brilliant news. Shame about the holiday but there's always next year to plan for. It wouldn't be much fun if Charlie couldn't really be off lead - definitely a case of so near and yet so far! I'm not surprised Charlie did a zoomie :D, it was that first taste of freedom that did it :rolleyes:, the main thing is he only ran around you and eventually calmed down :D:D. I used a long lead with Juno a lot as I could drop it and allow her to roam that much more but prevent her from forgetting her manners after being on restricted. I'm sure Charlie really enjoyed his walk, that zoomie in particular :rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Very good news that Charlie's recovery is ahead of schedule and it must be so lovely for him and you to be able to have some off lead zoomies.

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Smiley in a daft soppy way reading this :)