Clippng nalls

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, Jul 6, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie's nails are too long - not enough walking I guess. I've never had to cut them before.

I borrowed some clippers yesterday. And with the aid of a gazillion seabiscuits got him to stay still while I took a tiny bit off each nail. Since I could not tell where the quick (or kwik?) was (no, not even using a flash light or by looking underneath) I was very cautious.

I want to get them a lot shorter than they still are now. I understand if I keep taking a bit off at a time the quick will recede. I've ordered a pair of clippers with a guard on them so I can snip a small bit off without taking too much by accident.

How soon do you reckon I can take a bit more off to get this receding quick thing going on?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

How much would you say you already took off, in millimetres? It also depends on how long they were to start with. Any chance of a close up claw pic?

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Cheers, Rachael - I can't get him to the vet (got to go to work!) and need to sort this. I took off about 1mm. They are far too long (I think). They have always been straight and sort of pointy. Now they are curved. I reckon I need to get about 7mm more off them.

Off to get a pic.....

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

5. Oberon

Clean nails are a sign of inactivity and indolence, in my opinion.

Charlie's claws don't look too bad to me, although appreciate that you are used to seeing them a lot shorter. I'd probably go for a couple of extra mm off them and I actually think you'd be safe to do that now, though just go for 1 mm at a time to be on the safe side. If you still think they are too long after that (like they are elevating his toes when he's weight bearing on a flat surface) then go for a couple more mm in a week. If you do hit the quick it will bleed quite a bit but will also stop before long. I think you should be ok though. Happy to take the fall for it if I'm wrong though!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Brill, thanks so much - was very nervous about doing it!

I was sat on the floor with him at a cafe and he seemed to be sort of rocking back on his paws a bit, and I thought it was because of his nails...(he has a physio check today so will check it's nothing else).

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

If they need a little off , try using a nail file , bit less stressful ( for the owner !)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah - for sure! Charlie thinks me holding his paw while a stream of seabiscuits heads his way is just fine!

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

A tip I got for doing Willow's was to look at the cut surface when you do them. Take thin slivers off, and a while before you get to the quick, the nail changes from grey to black in the middle. It's very handy for ensuring you don't catch it. Here's a website that shows it better than I can explain: http://riverbendveterinarian.com/blog/b_37697_nail_trims.html

Nail clipping is a perfect time for baby pouches of sardine goo.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's helpful, thanks. I don't find it very easy - getting Charlie to stay still, work the clippers, feed the seabiscuits, examine claw...I also found if I took too little off the nail seemed a bit crushed rather than a clean snip. I'm hoping the clippers I have now will be better - they should be sharper and they have this guard thing on, so maybe I'll feel a bit more confident.

Anyway, I'll have another go tonight.

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I always enlist J to help - he administers the sardine goo while I work the paws. I can't imagine doing it alone. You definitely need nice sharp clippers.
    Kikopup uses a Dremel, with the dog relaxed upside-down between her legs. Pahaha.

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh blimey,you are all brave,the thought terrifies me...Dexter is just coming up to get his done again and they are probably the length of Charlie's ,so you aren't far wrong...it just obviously feels different to the Chocolate Drop and looks different to you..I get them done say every 3 months as most of our walking is on soft surfaces but this has been quicker this time as his contact with roads and pavements has been absolutely minimal this last 6 weeks. It's the Groomers for us ,or the vet will do them for me if I'm there for something else....big wimp that I am !

13. Oberon

You've inspired me to do Obi's dewclaws. I took a few pics.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

How much I clipped off:

[​IMG]

The clippers and clippee:

[​IMG]

This is how Obi's other claws usually are. Not too different to Charlie's at the moment. I don't clip these:

[​IMG]

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Obi's ears are SO pretty.

That's fab, thanks. Charlie was definitely standing funny....I really thought his claws were far too long. Well, I'm at Greyfriars now (waiting for his appointment) so I can get them to check the standing thing.

15. Oberon

What did they say about his claws, Julie? Ok or needing a bit more off?

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

They need cutting, yes - they are clacking on the floor and it was really obvious in the physio room, they are a bit better since I cut them once though. Although they didn't think that they were significantly changing the way he was standing (what I saw might have been because it was a hot day and he was stood on concrete...dunno). They are big fans of short nails, apparently.

It was so late last night by the time I got back and were sorted I didn't do them, but I'm at home later so will have a go then.

17. Oberon

Charlie, you are in for a sea-biscuit-rich evening :)

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well...the good news - I got all his nails done. Charlie got lots of sea biscuits. The bad news, I made one bleed - but it wasn't all that bad. Charlie didn't seem too traumatised - lots of sea biscuits and cuddles to say sorry - and we continued to finish the rest, and it stopped bleeding quite quickly. I think I must have got that one short already on the first go. No doubt I'll get a bit better at judging this.

Anyways, I can still hear them a bit on a hard floor, but not as bad as they were.

19. Oberon

Ah well, it's hard to judge it with dark claws. You did 15 out of 16 fine though, which is an excellent record. Once he's doing normal activity again you probably won't need to do it much.

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Did his dew claws too. :) I'm pleased I know how to do it. Thanks for the help!