Clippng nalls

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, Jul 6, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good going....:) Although you make me feel very guilty I haven't even started the dremel!

2. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I need to learn to 'do nails' I'm just too scared , so got the surgeon to clip them today!!!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Using the Dremel is very satisfying, if remarkably time consuming to train. That Kikopup video is pure nonsense! I should make my own... :D

I bet Charlie picks it up a lot more quickly - he's a less sensitive (read, "namby pamby") than my two!

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

go on do a video love to see you all in action

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think these types of things do just take FOREVER to train properly. I don't think it would be much quicker with Charlie - while you've been doing this, I've got to within a cm of his ear with a syringe full of cleaner on the towel trick!

Yup, the videos that show getting stuff like this done in a single session are very misleading.

6. snowbunny

I was going to do one during our aternoon session. Put the GoPro on, got all set up .... and the battery died! Maybe next week :)

7. snowbunny

OK, as promised, a couple of videos. Quite dull, sorry!!

Here is Shadow. We're still taking it really slow here. I start off just holding his paw, then go on to touching the Dremel to his nails whilst turned off, doing some manipulation of his paw, then eventually bringing it close to his nails when the Dremel is on. You can see he's keen to offer his paw but is quite twitchy with it. I'm not using a clicker, because it's too cumbersome to hold that, a paw and the file, and also because it can be aversive when used very close to the dog. So I use "good" or "nice" as a verbal marker. I know I should be consistent, but I suck :D

(spot the deliberate mistake in the title screen)

And, now for Willow. Because I'm always concentrating on her feet when I'm doing the filing, it was nice to see by watching the video how relaxed she is, looking around without any anxiety. It's been a long road to get here, and you can see how long her nails are - but we'll get them nice and short relatively quickly now she's so good.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh, that's brilliant, Fiona! Really smashing. Well done - excellent handling! So good to see.

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Gold star for Fiona for sure! Not made any progress here...sheesh....this is definitely a guilt-inducing thread....I'm using holiday-busyness for an excuse. We are heading off for holidays for a couple weeks sans pooch but once we are back....hopefully get back on track....

10. snowbunny

It's not exactly enthralling viewing, but I hope it highlights the teeny tiny steps that have to be made - and this is several weeks down the line, even with Shadow. I don't think it's something the average dog and average handler could achieve in a short timeframe.

11. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I am going to try it also.....

12. snowbunny

A little update here. Willow is so good at having her nails filed now. We're making some good progress on getting them shorter. She's a complete star.Sometimes she gets a little twitchy with her back feet, but I think she finds it ticklish. It's better when I hold the nail far more firmly.

Shadow is still challenging. He is really super sensitive to the Dremel, and is really twitchy when it's turned on. So, I've decided to go right back to basics. With Willow, I didn't have the Dremel to start off, so I began the process with an emery board, and moved up to a metal file. I've started doing the same with Shadow. The benefit of this is that I can drag it on his nails very lightly, so he gets the feeling of a vibration without it being such as shock to him. We've suddenly started making progress again, after feeling we were stuck for a long time. The file I'm using isn't great, as it's not particularly sharp, so I'll grab another one from my ski servicing kit and start using that, which will hopefully mean that I can actually shorten his nails a bit as we're working on it. His are nowhere near as long as Willow's were, but I'd still like them much shorter.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good progress! I'm sure it'll be a super useful thing to have trained.

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Really great job Fiona. I'm going to order the a Dremel now..... I got dropped on a bit last Week when I took Dexter to the vet .....his nails needed clipping , and she offered to do it as I was telling her all my trials with trying to find a groomer I'm happy with .......and my apprehension of trying myself....so she gave me a tutorial and I clipped Dexter's claws!I know! Don't fall on the floor! I used what looked like proper scissors with a little circle gap in them that you slide the claw into ,rather than the proper clippers of which I am afeared!!! Dexter wasn't as happy as I would have liked in that he had no problem letting me do it. He doesn't love Vet's so he would never have been at his most relaxed.But he held still and this tool I used didn't have me doing that massive hard clip that scares me.....so its given me confidence that if I could do it in those circumstances I should be able to improve my technique.......

15. Dexter

Julie and Fiona,which one did you order in the end? Just having a big dog shop!!!!Yay!!!!

MF likes this.
  16. snowbunny

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I ordered the pet one and it came with a U.S. plug on it! I should have sent it right back but it's still in the 'things to sort out" pile! Sigh... I haven't used it. Drat.

Now Charlie is back walking on pavement in London he doesn't seem to need his nails doing anyway!

18. snowbunny

I just realised that I had ordered the larger sanding bands, but not the drum to put them on. Ho hum. That will be another ten days' delay, then, waiting for that part to arrive.

19. Dexter

Oh that's a nuisance...thanks for the link,joy of joy it can be delivered to the UAE......in the meantime we have got a little Black and Decker screw driver that looks about the same size and shape from what I can see from the pics and your vid so I'm going to start using that for training......

20. snowbunny

I'd recommend using an emery board, too, to get Dex used to the feeling of something abrasive rubbing on his nails. Let us know how you get on :)