Communication class

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by JulieT, Aug 27, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

On Saturday, Charlie is going to a doggy communication class and assessment.

Living where he does, Charlie was exposed to loads of dogs growing up, and up to 8 months, did really well. Then at 8 months, all contact with other dogs was shut off. At 16 months, he started to interact with other dogs again. He was over enthusiastic, rushing up - at this point, I booked the assessment and class but there was a waiting list to get in. Anyway, in the meantime, Charlie got told off a couple of times, and seemed to recover his manners rapidly.

But then, we had a few nasty encounters of dogs lunging and growling while we were walking passed on lead. One lady allowed her dog to jump, growling and humping, on Charlie and he hated it (both dogs were on lead and Charlie was minding his own business).

The next time Charlie met a dog (both off lead) he stayed flat and didn't get up when the dog (an old slow gent of a black lab) walked right up to him. And when I went to collect Charlie, he was stressed and worried. Since then, he has had lots of little plays with dogs his age and been fine. So hoping this was a one off.

Charlie has always been super, super keen to meet other dogs, but if they growl or react to him, he is really unhappy - only once, recently, has he objected when a dog spent too long sniffing his bottom. I want to understand what's going on, so know how best to manage Charlie, and what's best for him in terms of interactions with other dogs.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Saturday. Can't wait, really! Hope I learn lots and it's positive for Charlie. The class is with adult "teaching dogs" - dogs that are skilled in communication with other dogs.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Communication class

I am really interested to hear how you get on Julie,I would love to go to a communication class,it would do Dexter the world of good and it would also be a massive benefit to me.....enjoy it and let us know it goes when you get a chance x

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Now that sounds fascinating! Be very interested to hear how you both get along :) I have just been browsing Kay Lawrence workshops so thinking of booking one as a birthday present for Benson! There is so much we can learn from the dogs perspective isn't there? :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, really looking forward to it.

I'm working my way through Kay Lawrence's books right now - loving it. Was also looking at the workshops, but the dates aren't great for me. Hoping she'll do more that I can make. It's a long trek for me, Worcestershire.

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Will look forward to hearing how you get on Julie and the advice you get.

It sounds very interesting.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds great!! Looking forward to hearing about it :)

7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Interesting! Looking forward to hearing how it goes. You guys are so lucky to have these training opportunities close by....nothing like that anywhere near here!

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm really interested too! ;D

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

10. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Wow I'm jealous too. Rubbish for that kind of thing near me, and you'd think it would be better being a major city...

Particularly interetsed in this just now as I've been taking Brodick out on his own a fair bit as Cuillin has tweaked an old injury and is resting...so been focusing on him a bit more, and his body langauge around dogs is very interesting - apart from his beloved Cuillin, and my sister's two Tarkie and Lochan, who he adores, he only seems to like and want to interact with dogs his has known from puppyhood, which is two Jack Russels, a couple of collies, and a lab mix. Other than that he will be what can only be described as Aloofly Polite - a mild sniff exchanged, then he stands with his gaze averted looking theatrically disinterested. The exception to this rule is black working cockers, the very sight of which drive him into a frenzy of excitement, no idea why. Seeing the way other dogs react to his aloof disinterest is really interesting, some just wont give up trying to get him to pay them attention, and will badger and badger him, he rarely gets stroppy with them though, just looks more and more theatrically aloof and pins his ears a bit....others get it straight away and seem quite respectful of him, even the local Akita who is super dominant has been know to lick his muzzle and then walk away...love this dog interaction stuff, looking forward to hearing all about it..

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Brods sounds sorted, to be honest. :) :) :)

12. debsie

debsie Registered Users

yes, I think he is...little Cuilli on the other hand.... she could do with brushing up her communication skills :D

13. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Communication skills is definitely something Penny lacks! I would love to be able to go to workshops and things with her as I've seen so many that I feel would really benefit her, but I would be so worried about her behaviour and that we would get kicked out :( she doesn't seem to do well in a class setting with other dogs, even if they are minding their own business!

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=7532.msg105159#msg105159 date=1409156648]
    but I would be so worried about her behaviour and that we would get kicked out :( she doesn't seem to do well in a class setting with other dogs, even if they are minding their own business!
    [/quote]

I was terrified before the clicker course I went on, really terrified, that Charlie would be a disgrace. But I did a few sessions with one dog, and then two. He was fine on the course with three. This coming weekend, it's full sized classes for us. I'm still terrified!

Do some prep, start small, and go for it. It's not to be missed, I love class!

15. Jen

Jen Registered Users

There is no way I could take my two to a class even individually. :-\. It would be cruel to put them under that much stress and I think counter productive really. :-\.

I wonder if I could find a class I could go and watch that would be ok or a bit pointless. ???

16. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Jen link=topic=7532.msg105203#msg105203 date=1409169174]
    I wonder if I could find a class I could go and watch that would be ok or a bit pointless. ???
    [/quote]

I've been to our class and just watched before and found it really valuable. I think sometimes you see more if you don't have a dog to worry about :) it would also help you figure out if and when it's something your boys could take on.

You might also find there's a 121 option that would be at the right level rather than a whole class full. I can't believe they haven't had to deal with a similar problem before too :)

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=7532.msg105208#msg105208 date=1409169853]
    . I can't believe they haven't had to deal with a similar problem before too :)
    [/quote]

Thanks Barbara. :). That's a good point.

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Julie, this course sounds fascinating.
    You do such good write-ups too, really looking forward to you going on it :)

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Fascinating subject. Have a good time Julie :)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=7532.msg105203#msg105203 date=1409169174]
    There is no way I could take my two to a class even individually. :-\. It would be cruel to put them under that much stress and I think counter productive really. :-\.

[/quote]

When Charlie was ready to return to normal life, I didn't go from zero to going to classes - with the caveat I might be back on Monday asking for sympathy because it has all gone horribly wrong! ;D

I did a 121. Then a 121 with a perfectly behaved dog on lead. Then a puppy. Then a rescue dog. Repeated all of those off lead. Repeated the whole thing again with 2 dogs. Sat in a large hall with 2 dogs. Then 4. Then did a course with 3 dogs...then practiced what I'd learned "for real" with another student in a park...and so on.

There will be steps for you - different and smaller, maybe. The thing is to take the first step and have a way to work through the others. But you do have to find those steps. Staying doing the same thing, doesn't move you forwards.

And Barbara is right - there will be professionals that have seen worse than S&S. I filled in a long questionnaire for Charlie to attend the class on Saturday. He was classified in "Big Softie". The other categories were "Shy Guys" and "Naughty but Nice". Other than those, it's 121s with teaching dogs only until you are ready to join a class with other dogs.

One of the questions on the form was "has your dog injured another dog or person? If so, give details of circumstances and injuries". If you find the right professionals (I think that is the hard part) then they have seen worse than Scott and Scout. And they will do 121s at your home too.