Cooper's Vet visit

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Teena Ann, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Re: Cooper's Vet visit

[​IMG]

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh he is looking good Teena Ann , very grown up now :) :)
    Yes, it is very normal indeed for Labrador dogs to carry things around, it is what they were bred to do, retrieve and carry to us , well done :)

3. Teena Ann

Katie i would like to ask u if its ok for me to get Cooper to mate despite his hip problem jus for once before neutering him bcoz some say that dogs must be mated atleast once before bein neutered is this a myth or fact and i don knw wen he will reach is sexual maturity but he has bein displaying mounting behaviour for the past few days so i appreciate if u can give an advice on this my vet tld me its normal for him to display such acts as he is growing

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Teena Ann, no Cooper definitely does NOT need to be mated before neutering, ESPECIALLY NOT with his hip problems. You don't want to pass those problems on to other puppies, do you? And he won't miss what he doesn't know about, so don't worry!!

He's looking good… and obviously has the right Labrador instincts to hold things in his mouth and retrieve! You say he loves water and that it is hot where you are at present. Can you get a baby paddling pool and fill it with water for him? I bet he'd absolutely love it… :)

5. Teena Ann

Oh no i jus wanted ur opinion but will he settle down or turn aggressive if i neutered him and never got him mated will this cause any other problem and secondly i was asked by my vet to feed Cooper fish for his coat and skin not always but monthly once may be but i don knw what type of fish to feed him can u suggest me the types of fish to feed him

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

As Karen said there is no need at all to all him to mate with another dog. If he has hip issues it would actually be quite wrong to allow this.

You mentioned that you've seen him mounting other dogs - that can be for a variety of reasons such as just trying to get the other dog to play. My dog is neutered but there are two dogs he knows that he loves to mount - a young neutered chocolate Labrador bitch called Bella and a very old male Border Collie called Ari. It's got nothing to do with a need to reproduce :) So, yes, it is normal, but, no, there is no need to give him opportunities to do it and DEFINITELY no need for him to be a father. He definitely does not need to be mated at all, ever. There would be no benefit to him at all (and you'd just risk producing puppies with similar hip problems).

If you'd like to feed him fish then are you able to buy tins of sardines? They are an easy option. Our dog has a tin of sardines for dinner each night.

Cooper is a lovely dog who is a perfect weight and whose coat looks just right. I really would not worry! What you are doing right now is working. :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

What a great picture of him Teena!
    Typical labrador pose ;D
    Lilly loooovvves a tin of sardines 8)

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Cooper looks just gorgeous, you are obviously taking very good care of him Teena Ann xx :) x

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

He looks lovey Teena Ann x

10. Teena Ann

Thank u so much Angela,RAchel,Katie and Jacqui im not gonna get Cooper to be mated but definetly neutered he is such a lovely dog and and i love him so does the ppl who meet him they ask me if i can sell them Coop for a gud price but i wouldnt part ways with him as for tdy he had a hearty lunch of beef liver and rice and his stool is improving regarding fish i get him fresh sardines and boil them debone them and then feed coop is this ok sometimes i feed him mackerel too am i doing anything rong in this.
    2. I think i have asked this question long tym but im asking once again pls bear wid me if i were to get Coop a play mate say another dog at wat age should i get him d dog and how old should the other dog be and what breed type.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Teena Ann link=topic=4907.msg62788#msg62788 date=1395492672]
    fresh sardines
    [/quote]
    Lucky Cooper. I would save your effort Teena and just give him them raw!
    Just don't give him too much raw stuff at once or he will do runny poops ;D

12. Teena Ann

Can anyone tell me wat a Dring harness mean what does the Dring signify to me all the harness luks the same im confused as to what to get bcoz im planning to get a harness for Cooper bcoz i find it sad to see him get choked sometimes when i pull him away from other non friendly dogs..pls help..:)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

14. Teena Ann

Oh Julie thanks for the insight i thought the shape of an entire harness is D shaped wen oly the clamp to which the lead is attached is D shaped how stupid i am to think that way :-[ :p thank u so much Julie will post a pic of the harness soon wen i buy one....Can i give Cooper mackerel and tuna besides sardines any suggestion or are they harmful..

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Both of these are fine for dogs Teena , is this fresh or tinned tuna ? If it is tinned , then dont give too often because it is often preserved with very salty brine which isnt good for them . I live near to the sea in England and so my two dogs get lotss of fish, its really great for their coats :)

16. Teena Ann

Yes Katie i give oly fresh fishes that are boiled nd deboned i don like to give tinned ones due to salt content some say fishes are harmful for dogs and tat they should not be fed those while some say certain fishes can be given and not all types of fishes which is very confusing since u tld me
    i would like to knw wat types of fish do u feed ur dog or u get anything that is available in the market other than tuna salmon or sardines... ??? ??? ??? ???

17. Teena Ann

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Teena Ann

[​IMG]

19. Teena Ann

hey everybody posted a few pics of Coop during his play time at the terrace jus check how close his hind legs are with each other and it is also kinda crossing one over the other indicating a prob in legs hope this pic will help others otherwise hope u enjoy the pics of my Boy... :* :) :) :) :)

20. Teena Ann

here are some more photos... he is quite a poser.. :* :* :* :*
    [​IMG]