cruciate ligament

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: cruciate ligament

Oh I'm sorry too Julie,hope he improves as the day goes by xxx

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh, poor Charlie. :( I snapped my cruciate ligament 2 years ago and I would have days when it hurt much more than others. Hope he is just having an off day.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks all - it's helpful just to tell someone, if you know what I mean!

He seems a bit better now, stood on his injured leg to have a pee in the garden, and is now bouncing round his pen like a squash ball - because I haven't taken him for a walk. Arghhh...why won't he stay still and rest!?!?! Nightmare to come after the op. He'll have to stay in his crate 24/7.

(Edited to add - and I didn't give him the pain killers, thinking I would just keep him still for a bit first).

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

It certainly does help to share troubles and worries Julie , so pleased to read that Charlie has picked up again , bless the boy x

5. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad he's improved again, it really feels like one step forward, two steps back at this stage. Roll on February.....

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's great news that Charlie has picked up a little. You will get there and we are all here for the not so good days Julie :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks all - he is sleeping now, after a very short walk. He is better just for getting out, for some fresh air, a sniff, and a poo, even though we didn't go far. Monday will be better - car and proper crate should be sorted, so we can get out and about a bit more. Although I think at first it will be difficult for him going places where he will expect to be off lead, if we can get over that, at least we'll be able to walk in the woods and things.

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

oh yes a bit of variety will be great for both of you :D

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sorry to hear Charlie is having a bad day :(
    Hopefully by taking him out to different places he might calm down......I'm sure it will be difficult at first, but knowing you, you will persist and get there :)

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Roll on Monday :) I'm sure that being able to get to a greater variety environments will help.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The new car is the pupmobile. :) :) :) Had to sell my little city car, which I was very fond of, because the pupmobile was a bit steep. No matter. To get him out to the woods will be worth it.

I decided on a safedog crate: http://www.safedog.co.uk/index.htm

And OH cheered me up by telling me to get one that is big enough for all the future pups too... :) :) :)

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fabulous :) It'll be your and Charlie's escape pod :)

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3657.msg44452#msg44452 date=1388776194]
    And OH cheered me up by telling me to get one that is big enough for all the future pups too... :) :) :)
    [/quote]
    What a good guy. Knows how to keep his missus happy ;) ;)

14. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

How is charlie doing now julie.

Puzzle sends sympathy tail wags to charlie for not being let of lead for the next 3 weeks (or longer) and having to stick with road walks, and working on her heelwork and not trying to mug every person and dog that walks by ::)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks for asking, it was a busy day for the cruciate ligament plans.

We had our weigh in at the vet's - and the orthopedic vet popped out to see him while the nurse had him on the scales. We're still at 28.5kgs - which because he is growing, means he is thiner. He has now been declared "nice and slim" with obvious last ribs showing when he turns (actually, even a bit when he doesn't). But not yet thin. ::). Honestly, whenever I see a Lab in the street they look positively square compared to Charlie. But, no, the vet demands "thin". Slim won't do. Even though, the nurse, after much consideration, said we could UP his food. Charlie looked extremely hopeful. Then the nurse said by about 5g - from 175g to 180g. 5g! I'm not sure my scales are that accurate. Charlie demands digital scales, he is not doing without an extra 5g.

The vet saw him walk, and checked his muscle tone. He said we're doing good. The nurse also called the hydro place to see whether she could make some progress on us getting a swim. Plus, very nice of him to say, the vet said Charlie was much calmer and I had him very well under control. (Only because I had his kibble lunch in my pocket, my clicker, and a starving dog - but it's nice to get positive feedback anyway).

I had a long conversation with the surgeon as well today, and he answered all my questions. The bad news, it's 4 months - not 12 weeks - after surgery before we're fully signed off. I'll think about that later. It's not 3 weeks on lead - altogether, by the time we are done, Charlie won't have been off lead for 6 months. :'( :'( :'(

With the exam today from the vet, and my report to the surgeon about Charlie only having one bad day so far, we can now do a bit more exercise, and can add another 15 minute lead walk to the regime. If Charlie is fine with that, one of his walks can also go to 30 minutes. An extra 30 minutes in total (for 5g of extra food - I'm not sure those numbers add up, I use more than 5gs in 30 minutes on lead!).

And the consensus on the puppy food/adult food question is we're staying as we are on the junior kibble. So one less thing to think about anyway.

My new car is coming tomorrow, and safedog are fitting the crate for me - as I hate flat pack anything.

So, all in all, steady as she goes, I think.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

She actually said, an extra 5g, wow, such generosity.
    Look at it positively Julie, you have done all the good recall stuff already, so this is an opportunity to work on the lead stuff. He is going to have to work harder and be better to get his rewards because he is not getting so many of them - I realise this makes it more frustrating for you, but at the end of the day, he is going to be calmer and more controlled as a result of this.
    I know how we felt when we were on the short lead walks and having to build up, although it was easier for us because Lilly was clearly not happy due to her limp, and had had around a month of no walks at all whist resting, before our graded walking, and this was before she was a year old, so involved all the times we should have been working on recalls and doing more off-lead training.
    It seems like a trial, and in a way it would have been better if you hadn't had so much time to think and worry about it.
    But you will do it, you will all get there, and things will be fine.
    Believe. Have faith in yourself, your vets, in Charlie.
    You know we are rooting for you.

17. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thanks for the update Julie , I think you have done so well , Charlie too and such good news re the weight too , thinking of you both x

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Julie, progress is progress, so well done keep going you will have this all under control and Charlie will be happy before and after his surgery. Just think about the calm dog that you will have at the end of this nightmare and we will all be very jealous :) We are all here for you x

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well, progress is progress. Things are becoming clearer for you as to what to expect, and his weight is good, which I know has been a struggle for you.

It will be nice when you get the new car, at least you will be able to walk in new scenery. Hopefully that will help somewhat with the on-lead walking.

You are doing so well, Julie, through all the trials. Hats off, and hugs and licks from here!

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You are doing really well Julie. 30 extra minutes! Charlie will really appreciate it I am sure, and being able to go out safely in the new car means you'll be able to go on different, interesting walks instead of just plodding around the same old streets. Well done you - keep your spirits up! :)