Desexing female dogs - post surgery

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Jenny B, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

There seems so little information around but I do remember seeing something on the subject the other day but cannot find it now so thought I would start a new thread.

Our puppy was desexed 6 days ago - it has been a nightmare trying to keep her quiet but have been checking those stitches and area. Its been pretty good but today have noticed there is a hard area/lump alongside but under the skin of where the cut was (the tiny scabs along there are nearly all gone). You cant see it but you can feel it and when touched its clearly sore for the puppy.

At this stage Im assuming its likely to be from the minimal amount of running and the odd jump that she's been able to get away with when she's avoided attempts to stop her (pent up frustration as her life is running and jumping and eating). But wondering if it is from that how long it can take for the swelling from that to calm down.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I dont remember my bitches having lumps; it might be a reaction to the stitches, or a focus of infection, or nothing to worry about, but I would phone the vet to ask for advice. She sounds bright at the moment, but if she goes off her food, then definitely vet pronto.

3. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

Thanks - today it seemed to have improved - not quite as reactive when touched and its now just under an inch in length. Was able to keep her fairly quiet today so will check again tomorrow morning.

No option to phone vet as they were closed until tomorrow but it was suggested elsewhere to keep an eye on it in case it gets worse.

Sooner she heals the better as she can go back to normal activity. She's actually starting to use the cone of shame as a tool now - handy for barging through the baby gate......

Stacia likes this.
  4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper had some lumps initially. The vet used dissolving stitches because Cooper was so hard to work with, that she did not want to have to take them out. We were concerned and took her back to the vet twice, but they were not worried and she healed up just fine. It took about 3weeks for the incision to appear completely closed and tight.

5. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

Thanks - the lump is improving - on her back you can feel it but no longer when she is standing and you put your hand over the area as it was on Monday. She also had dissolving stitches. Will take the cone off tomorrow & see how she goes and later next week she can have her clam shell pool back.

6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

When Molly was spayed we were given follow-up appointments, one 48 hours later and another after a week, which were included in the cost of the spay.
    Good to hear that your girl is recovering.

Jenny B likes this.
  7. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Glad to hear she's improving. :)