Dexter's Summer Holidays

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Dexter, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Well a very good morning from sunny Yorkshire....a morning that started at well...2am ,bang on Dexter's walk time in Dubai!!!Now whilst I'm not one for lying in bed and this is something that I anticipated might happen I want to put an end to it pronto! So I took him out on his lead to where I'm trying to get him to toilet .....and he didn't want to go,he wanted to go wild and perform acrobatic flips whilst sniffing so we came in,in silence and came back to bed....5am I got another nudge but that is ok ....we came to bed early last night so I'd expect Him to need to go out by then but I don't want him to get into a pattern where he thinks that's his main morning walk as it would be in Dubai.I think as our nights get later and there's more traffic and activity in the house he will naturally get later....as I will myself ,even the 2 am wasn't difficult as that's 'normal' for me ....
    So,some observations on the Desert Dog turned Country Boy. I'm glad to see that fields of animals don't pose much of a problem ......he's very interested ,but doesn't lose his marbles.....except when stared at ,of course ,that's too much for my reactive boy.So the sheep that chose to show interest got a lunge and there was lots of huffing and puffing at the cow that stuck her head over the wall to say good morning!But I'm seeing these as opportunities to work with not calamities .....

Smells though ,oh Lord,not good ........lots of that horrible spinning round ,fast sniffing and thrashing about on the lead .....only the fact that his nose was right down the second we came out the door saved me me from him having a hallulujah moment of seeing probably 8 of the creatures that had made the smells ........rabbits ,I am going to have hell with rabbits I can tell..another reason I don't want an early morning main walk !!!
    So whilst at home we are going to be doing lots of practising walking nicely up and down our lane....and whilst out we need to find really safe places for him to have a run because if he sees a rabbit he's gonna go off like a rocket .....until I have him perfectly trained of course :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bedding,ours, ::): white bedding doesn't work when you've got a UK dog sleeping on your bed does it? I hear what you were all saying now...seriously I wipe his paws when he comes inside ,and seriously he's hiding muck in those paws where I can't see it! Our bed looks awful .....I don't have that problem with sandy paws back home!

So that's the story so far,you honestly wouldn't think he had been on the plane,he probably slept deeper yesterday than his usual daytime 'passing the time' snoozes but other than that was as happy as Larry .He had done a wee in his box I found when we unloaded it ,I brought it in to the kitchen to wash it ,and he was straight over to it having a nose around so he doesn't seem appalled by the notion of having to go in it again ....which is good.

So off for a nice walk this morning then lunch at Chris's parents ....in their beautiful pristine house and garden.....yep the travel crate will be coming with us.
    Good day to you all ,enjoy your weekend xxxx

Pilatelover, Granca, Karen and 6 others like this.
  2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah it warms my heart to think of him snuffling round on the green, green grass of home!!!!

Once the day has started properly you probably won't see any rabbits and you can have a lie in!!! Hopefully his body clock will change quickly. I know it won't be as hot here but is the humidity very different and will that have an influence?

Lots of love xxx

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Fantastic.
    I tend to defer early morning walks along certain paths to avoid the deer. A couple of years ago it was the hares.
    Length it for an hour or so makes a big difference.
    Glad you are all settling in
    x

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Very cool that Dexter is now in his ancestral home.

He'd have to be the best travelled doggie on the forum now!! As far as miles go at least.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I thought Dexter might 'be away with the fairies' with all the very interesting scents here! Good job it isn't winter as dogs tend to go even wilder then :) It is going to be such fun for you all here and I look forward to a daily diary!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That sounds like a really good start! You can't expect anything else than he is going to find all the smells super exciting at first, he'll calm down as the novelty wears off a bit.

Yep, paws have to be washed, nothing else will do, before contact with white bed linen. Although I find the bedtime seabiscuit drool worse for staining. :D

7. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

We are just back from our holiday in Yorkshire, Baxter had a ball :doug:

Karen and drjs@5 like this.
  8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad Dexter is settling in well :)
    Harley's weak point is squirrels......it's the only animal she will chase! Sounds like Dexter is doing well for his first proper day.
    Yes, paws do get dirty......we've got beige/brown bedding and this seems to be really good at covering the dirt......you are very brave having white bedsheets :D

Pilatelover likes this.
  9. Dexter

To be honest it's been on the cold side of chilly here today....I will have to watch him if it gets hot because we are spoilt with the ac and tiled floors in Doobs,they really help.

I hope so....he's been off lead on a walk ,he was massively tracking but came back to every recall which I was delighted about but VERY surprised by....so I hope exposure will take some of the frenzy out ...with practice. Amazing to see him leaping through the long grass...

Ok,so wash the feet not just wipe them....although I have just borrowed a dark coloured throw from my MIL...that's a cheat I know ...but heck I am on holiday

JulieT and drjs@5 like this.
  10. Dexter

Ah blummin wifi ,didn't have a chance to say glad Baxter enjoyed his holidays...heck what's not to like in Yorkshire ,Labradors must think it rocks!

Haven't even thought about squirrels yet Ternaya ...yikes! Moles are VERY apparent in the garde,Chris reckons you never see a mole though!

No choice about the white bedding unfortunately but I have requested extra ....:rofl:

Pilatelover and Bruer like this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

flowery bedding. Hides everything.

Literally, laughing out loud!

Pilatelover likes this.
  12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo says to tell Dexter he can come down here and chase rabbits and squirrels to his hearts content. Pongo also recommends galloping at full pelt through shoulder-high barley (but don't let the farmer see you)

13. Dexter

Ah how much would I love that....I'd have loved to have got down for the SW walk but I just can't do it this time,imagine how many Forum owners and dogs I could meet in one hit...

Chris got some brilliant videos of him literally jumping like a lamb through the high grass but they seem to be too big to come through to my emails.....I'll try and get him but keep them short....when my phone comes out the bag of rice...after its adventure down the airport toilet ::(:

Pilatelover, drjs@5, Edp and 2 others like this.
  14. Dexter

Well disaster struck yesterday .....we had an unscheduled overnight stay at the Vets for Dexter! Seriously NOT in the Itinery!
    He had what I can only describe as a funny turn at tea time,standing weirdly,obviously in pain and walking very gingerly....panic dash to the vets because he looked like he was going unconscious while Chris was ringing them .......seems he had a high temperature and they wanted to admit him to bring it down and observe him.....he didn't respond to the meds and his temperature was climbing ....the vet didn't have 24 hour vet care so I had to go and collect him and take him to another practice...his temperature was still going up...
    Anyway a night under observation and starting antibiotics seems to have helped..we were allowed to collect him first thing this morning and he's much more himself....bit tired because they said they took his temp every hour.....no real explanation of a cause,his bloods didn't show anything so they are suspecting he'd eaten something or a bug of some sort....so we've had a slow day today and have a checkup in the morning when I'm hoping he gets a proper discharge....
    I knew things were going bad when he didn't react when a rabbit ran out in front of him.....my training is no where near up to that level! :rofl:

Karen likes this.
  15. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Oh goodness how frightening. Hope Dexter is feeling a lot better now? I was wondering how your holiday was going? thinking of all the fab walks and sights down there, the inside of vets wasn't what i was thinking :shake:

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

How scary... Hope Dex continues to improve, Angela.

17. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh lord! Big licks from Pongo and me...

18. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Oh no, what a fright! Hope he continues to get better.

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

:eek:Such a nightmare! I'm glad he's feeling better - hope it doesn't return!

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sending forum power to get Dexter back on track x

Rosie likes this.