Dexter's training log.

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Newbie Lab Owner, Feb 15, 2016.

1. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

That's a shame. I'm fine with Flick.r, it's Photobucket I have problems with:rolleyes:. Could you try to view it from a phone or another device. It's just weird how different devices do different things. Sometimes I have to access through my phone first then I can access with my tablet without problems.

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  2. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I'll try to send it to you another way but please don't hold your breath otherwise you'll turn blue :computerrage:

charlie likes this.
  3. Newbie Lab Owner

Today I had 10 minutes with my daughter to help, yay. I wanted to try Dexter with his stop whistle whilst heading away from as I'd seen this at the Positive gundog conference when watching, Phillipa Williams.
    My daughter stood one end of the garden and called Dexter away from me whilst being as exciting as possible, when Dexter was on the way you shout stop (I skipped the shouting stop as Dexter already knows the whistle) any way, once Dexter was on his way, my daughter has to go boring and stand still, I blew the whistle, a Dexter spun straight round to face me in a sit, so I clicked and threw his ball to him. We did this twice and then added in my daughter continuing to bounce the ball as Phillipa said to move on as quick as the dog allows otherwise you can get stuck on the first bit. Well Dexter was a star, he stopped and sat facing me in a flash and got his ball straight away. The next few goes, I waited a second or two longer before I threw the ball but had my hand up to reinforce the stay, my daughter still bouncing the ball.
    I know this is early days but is a massive breakthrough for Dexter in his self control.
    I then went to meet my parents at a local place that is usually quiet but today would be quite busy. Dexter was super excited so I spent a while walking around the car park waiting for my parents to arrive. During another Phillipa work shop last weekend at the conference, she had the owners doing quick about left turns, the dog is also on your left. I've been doing this a lot with Dexter on our walks this week and around cones in the garden off lead and used it to help him calm down and focus on me today. It works a treat, you say nothing and the dog has to move out of your way. This has resulted in Dexter having a good heel position with his nose by my left leg. Phillipa says to over train the position behind you as the dog will then naturally move forward and end up where you really want them, so far, so good. I use his harness whilst practising at the moment so that any mistakes I make aren't done on his collar that I will go on to use. She did say to use something that you've not used with the dog pulling on before but as Dexter is good on his HaH harness, I am happy to still use it for now when out and about in exciting places just in case as its early days and I wouldn't keep him walking too long at a stricked heel like that on a normal walk.

After a break of sitting with my parents and watching the boats in the water, I took Dexter off for a play with his ball. He was really good focused on our game and also staying sat in front of me whilst I threw the ball one way and waited for me to throw the second ball for him to go and get and bring back. I did go back to leuring with the second ball in my stay hand signal hand as this was the first time of trying this in an exciting, distracting place. I had given us plenty of distance from anyone else.

I'm really proud of my boy, his self control around objects being thrown is a very hard concept for him but he is getting there. Again early days but we are going in the right direction. I'll be high jacking strangers soon when out to be my distractions :D

Jen, drjs@5, MaccieD and 1 other person like this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Well that is amazing Donna, Dexter is certainly coming on leaps and bounds and he's still just a puppy. Glad you learned so much at the conference and for putting into practice. Good for you Donna and good boy Dexter xxx :)

Newbie Lab Owner and MaccieD like this.
  5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Well done Donna and Dexter, you are really making a great team, and Dexter is learning and progressing really well. It's really helpful to see someone like Philippa in action and then start putting what she has said into practice a real life environment, and making it work :D

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  6. Newbie Lab Owner

Thank you @charlie and @MaccieD, luckily for me, my google maps took me to the wrong place and I was a few minutes late for the conference :eek: but a man in a 4x4 drove in as I was turning around and I noticed dogs in crates in his car. I did a quick blocking off manauver, put my window down and said "hi, are you going to the dog conference", yay he was. Together we finally managed to find it but in my haste after rushing to get booked in and not knowing who was where, I watched Leanne Smith doing Teaching the stop whistle. This was a blessing in disguise as I wasn't going to watch this as Dexter is usual good with his stop whistle. I was really glad I did watch, Leanne seems a great trainer and very calm. I learned an awful lot that I can now add in and about working in very distracting environments for Dexter and tweak what Leanne was getting the group to do so that I can use it for other things.

I watched Phillipa twice, once on heel work and trouble shooting the stop whistle (I also wasn't going to do the later one but again worked in my favour). Phillipa has a different approach as she is loud, she shouts and is very excitable (as she told us :D) she is also quite sarcastic with her humour and I struggle with understanding when it's a joke or meant as a serious message, I do take things literally but I'm working on it :). This made me feel a bit nervous to start with as I worried I might laugh in the wrong place but after a while I was able to stop worrying as she is very good and I enjoyed watching, listening and joining in. There was a lot of laughing too, she is very funny and I loved that she had her dogs with her. I wouldn't be worried if I went to train with her now.

I then finished by watching Helen Phillips doing Games to strengthen behaviour, again calm and quiet in her approach to training but still different from Leanne. I thought I had missed the chance of doing this one but luckily found I hadn't. It was great to watch some different games that can be used to strengthen behaviours I already have as well as ones I haven't worked on.

I think what I have done is take bits from one of the sessions and added bits from others or adapted to where I'm at.

A very worthwhile day and Helen came looking for me after to give me a used rabbit skin ball for my whipit as they had sold out. Dexter was thrilled with it too the next day when I played with him with it :tail:

MaccieD and charlie like this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How does Leanne Smith teach the stop whistle? :)

8. Newbie Lab Owner

She started like @Dexter suggested to me by throwing food out.
    Then start clicking for stillness, no cues to start with. Aim the food between the dogs front legs so they don't jump up or forward to get it. Don't introduce the sit until stillness is mastered.
    There is more but I haven't typed up my notes yet :rolleyes:

MaccieD and charlie like this.
  9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Dexter is making fantastic progress. I wish my two had half as much self control.;). It sounds like the conference was very interesting with lots of useful ideas for you.

The video of your Dad and Dexter playing football is great. It looks like they both had lots of fun. I love the way when Dexter dropped the ball if it rolled away he didn't go and get it he just looked at it and then your Dad as if saying "go on its your turn" :D

MaccieD and Newbie Lab Owner like this.
  10. Newbie Lab Owner

Haha, Dexter is getting there with his self control, I transferred it to over the field this morning for small not too exciting throws for him to sit and stay but made the reward throw more exciting. :D
    Yes they both played lovely, I do love the way Dexter looks as if he's saying "go on your turn".
    Dad has limited very limited conversation now, so it's great to see him come alive with Dexter. No words are needed :D

Cath, charlie, MaccieD and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jen

Jen Registered Users

It must be lovely for you to see your Dad and Dexter interacting and having fun. Dogs can be little miracle workers long may it last.:)

charlie, Newbie Lab Owner and MaccieD like this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It must bring you so much happiness to see your Dad and Dexter having fun together :) Happy memories to treasure. Well done Donna, really well done xxx :)

Newbie Lab Owner and MaccieD like this.