Do dogs in two/multi-dog households sleep as much as a dog in a one-dog household?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by MF, Oct 9, 2016.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

Yesterday we were visiting our neighbours up the road. Snowie and their Charlie are great friends and Snowie adores visiting their house -- races around like a puppy, plays with Charlie's toys and plays tug with Charlie, and even likes to take a detour while racing around with a toy to jump on the trampoline (at ground level), much to the neighbours' delight -- they think Snowie is a character and love his antics. I said, you should see him at home, he'd just be sleeping. That I've often considered we should get a second dog so that Snowie would have more stimulation.

Their response: they'd both be sleeping. They've had two dogs before, and now with this one, they often have friends' dogs staying over all day. They said the first time the dogs play non-stop. But after the novelty has worn off, the friend's dog comes over and the two dogs sleep as much as if there was only one dog in the house.

What do those of you with more than one dog experience? Are they playing much all day or do they sleep as much as a dog in a one-dog household would?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two sleep most of the day. It was different when they were younger, and they'd play a lot more, but now they're older, they generally only wake up when there's something to do involving a human - or food! :)

soberbyker and MF like this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I have three labs, 9 months, nearly 3 years and seven and a half years. They have a routine, and tend to all be active at the same time, or all sleeping at the same time. Bramble does mither in the mornings as she is an early riser. :)

Cath and MF like this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, once they are adults.

This is the scene from my chair as I type (Bruce is one year old at the end of this month)

IMG_2336.JPG

Attached Files:

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I agree,I have a lot of my friends dogs stay over,when Dex was younger it was non stop play,to the point where I'd have to separate them to give me a bit of peace.Now they just all chill out unless like Fiona says,food is occurring or someone moves!

MF likes this.
  6. MF

MF Registered Users

Thanks @snowbunny, @Boogie, @Beanwood, and @Dexter -- I don't feel too bad then that Snowie is an only dog! Every few months I keep wondering: should we get another dog?

7. snowbunny

I think you should. But that's because I want to see more pictures. It's entirely selfish :)

MF likes this.
  8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I keep thinking the same....should I get a second Lab. It would not be a puppy.....went through puppyhood with Cooper and that was enough! Maybe 1-1/2 to 2 years old.
    This new addition would keep Cooper company.....but then I think, one is enough! Cooper is 2-1/2 years old right now and still sort of a puppy......would love to hear from those of you that have two if you would do it again. One is a handful.....two would be...???????

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I love having two.

When Tatze was 15 months old I wanted another but we couldn't afford the insurance, holiday costs etc. So I started having Guide Dog puppies. Both Tatze and I are sad when there's no pupster in the house.

I love watching them interact and speak 'dog' to each other. Every dog is so different, I would have four if we were well off :)

MF likes this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I am waiting until Coco is a bit more manageable on his lead around other dogs, then we will be looking for another rescue dog.

11. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I have two dogs and they just sleep all day. When Axel was a little puppy up until about 7 months he was still trying to get Odie to play lots. But now they happily sleep the day away. They do have one go of play about once a day but it only lasts a couple minutes and then back to sleeping. But if I move, they both follow me everywhere and anywhere

12. snowbunny

"Two" is challenging. "Two" is delightful. "Two" makes you tear your hair out. "Two" is a joy. It varies ;)

It's never going to be easier than one, so if you struggle with one, I'd say don't get another.

I want a third one day, so two can't be all bad! :D

drjs@5 likes this.
  13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My two have never played with each other! I put a stop to that when I had the second one, didnt want two Labs flattening the lving room! They are both awake after breakfast, then sleep until I take them out, then sleep late morning and over lunchtime and early afternoon, I take them for a good hour plus of free running mid afternoon, home for dinner and then sleep until tomorrow:D

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

2 is great 3 is better

Edp likes this.
  15. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

It wasn't so much that I struggled with one but the biting was horrendous.....I knew about the getting up several times during the night, going outside every half hour so he could do his business, the chewing and so on but not the BITING....that was the one thing that almost put me over the edge. That's why I said maybe a 1-1/2 to 2 year old..so the crocopup stage would be over. But from what I can see from responses, most of the two dogs seem to sleep! I guess, in a way, that is still companionship. I just thought they would do a lot of playing together. Cooper has now settled into being a wonderful companion, very affectionate, opinionated, stubborn, delightful pup. He is very smart.....too smart for me!!....knows what he wants, has a great personality. AND knows how to manipulate me! This makes me chuckle sometimes realizing what a push-over I am. But he is a wonderful chap....
    Will see re getting a second.....not yet. Good luck on your third!!

edzbird and MF like this.
  16. snowbunny

I meant if you currently struggle with one, not if you struggled with one as a puppy (we all found that tough from time to time!). I was saying, for example, if you struggle with your dog pulling on the lead, or running over to other dogs, or not listening to recall etc etc etc (not saying you do, just examples). If one dog is a struggle, getting another one isn't going to make it any easier. I was responding to you saying he was a handful :)

It's not going to be for a little while, but it would be nice to add a choccy to the mix one day :)

17. SwampDonkey

I used to have 3 it was great honestly. My first 2 never went throughout bitey thing and the 3rd was bad but I just got on with it. It was fine and I loved it. I will be getting another dog soon maybe a Labrador maybe not. I probably wait until my oldest dog has passed though, sees getting on a bit. A pup would be hard on her.3 labs for me is the perfect number. Can't tell you how happy I was with 3

18. SwampDonkey

Oooh exciting do you yhink it will be soon ?

19. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

20. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Fiona.....yes....all of the above sometimes. But not all the time. No,I have no struggle with him now.....just when he was going through biting. All of the running to other dogs, not great recall ....is my problem. I have not totally trained him. We are getting better at it. Still,I would not get a second UNTIL I felt he was trained to come to me when I call EVERY time and that he was properly trained on all the other situations (jumping, running to other dogs, etc). He is excellent company for me----he has filled my life since he arrived.....I would add another Lab for company for Cooper.