Do you really never say "NO!"?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, Mar 8, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I thought this was really relevant to our recent discussion on the difference between saying "NO!" and setting out to train with "NO!".

From Denzi Fenzi:

I got the following response to last week’s blog:

“I’m pretty sure I’ve heard YOU use No Reward Markers in your training.”

I have no idea how to respond to that.

You should see what I do when a squirrel cuts across the front of my house and all three dogs go careening and screaming from window to window. I yell something along the lines of, “DAMN IT STOP THAT!” Two out of three generally take note and settle – for that moment anyway.

But I’m not training; I’m being irritable. I’m interrupting the behavior at that moment so I can finish my conversation in peace. The fact that the careening behavior happens again for the next squirrel strongly suggests I’m accomplishing nothing, and if I really wanted to change that behavior then I’d need to commit to a training plan. Right now that’s not a priority so I yell, two dogs care that I’m annoyed so they stop, and the third will quit on his own when he realizes his cohorts have abandoned him.

Good training? Of course not. Since training requires change, I think it’s fair to say it’s no training at all. It’s just me being crabby and too lazy to deal with the dogs properly.

http://denisefenzi.com/2016/03/08/the-perfect-trainer/

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  2. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

That is so refreshing to read. I also liked the link on it about 'Is avoiding correction: withholding half the information?

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes - although I don't think it's a good look to yell at your dog. :) Or husband. It's better to have an alternative if you want to look cool while out and about. :)

4. Newbie Lab Owner

Definitely, I mutter under my breath :rolleyes:
    Luckily I'm not really a yeller but do mutter the odd bleep to myself :eek:

JulieT likes this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Nice, honest answer. I'm not a yeller, either, and tend to sigh when I get frustrated instead, exhaling a single word: "Fortheloveofallthatisholywillyoujuststopthatnow!" :rolleyes:

It's certainly not training.

Lin, Newbie Lab Owner, drjs@5 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Blimey,I've never pretended to not, say/wail/yell/splutter/snap .........NO! It's too much of a habit,I can't help myself. But I do now understand Dex is responding to my tone he is not trained to understand No! I try to remember to ask him to do something afterwards ,like Sit......which is what I usually should have said instead of No in the first place :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Newbie Lab Owner and MaccieD like this.
  7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I'm just a bad monkey like everyone else and not supper human, my dogs are happy relaxed and enjoy living with me so why worry. I did tell Rory he was a bad boy recently he looked so hurt I've been very careful ever since.

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I could tell my dogs they were bad, even look cross and they wouldn't believe me:)

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I don't think I say "no". I do confess that I snap and lose my cool, shouting & swearing, but it's long sentences that Coco doesn't get. It's not a good look at all, and achieves nothing. I realise what I've done and ask Coco to do some easy stuff like sit/touch/down etc, and reward him handsomely. He thinks I'm loopy.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I don't think I say "no" either not to my dogs anyway :D I tend to keep my cool with Hattie & even Charlie :rolleyes: but in an emergency I would use any words that popped into my head which would most probably include 'NOOOOOOO" and I wouldn't care who heard me :) X

Newbie Lab Owner and MaccieD like this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have three doors before the outside door so plenty of 'airlocks' to prevent any loss of dog.

This week we have 3 dogs as Zaba is staying with us. I was taking Twiglet for a training walk and OH was taking the other two. He took them, on leads, to the car - leaving ALL the doors open. Twiglet trotted out behind them, no collar, no nothing.

I yelled! (Can't remember the actual words!) and it certainly stopped her in her tracks (I never shout!) and I could then call her back.

OH's name was mud mud mud!!

:rolleyes:

Newbie Lab Owner and drjs@5 like this.
  12. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Dogs get "tone" regardless of what words you use.

13. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I've been wracking my brain and I just realised that I do say 'no' in one of my cues.

We use the cue 'no licking' to get Ella to stop licking something. So, if she's licking my leg, the coffee table, the couch, my son's face etc. etc. :rolleyes: we say "no licking" and reward when she removes her tounge :p. This is particularly useful for when Ella is doing what we've named 'the long lick' where she starts a big long lick and momentarily freezes, leaving her tounge spread out over what she's licking! Gross hey?! :eek:

Newbie Lab Owner and drjs@5 like this.
  14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What? What's up with licking? In the summer, in Cornwall, Charlie offers ear licks to everyone that walks by his window. He is thinking of charging 20p an ear this year....

[​IMG]P8190967 by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

Peter, Lin, Newbie Lab Owner and 4 others like this.
  15. Emily

Emily Registered Users

If we let Ella lick, our skin and our furniture would be soaking wet all of the time! She'll still throw in the occasional cheeky leg lick as you walk past her. Also, when we're training and I ask her to stand (palm of my had moves upwards in front of her face, she ALWAYS licks my hand as I do it! The trainers find it very amusing :rolleyes:

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yeah....and? Just hand your guests wet wipes....:D

Newbie Lab Owner and Emily like this.
  17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Juno likes to give a good lick whenever she can, one of her favourites is getting a sneaky lick in as one of the cats walks in front of her.

18. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

You have an alternative husband for being out and about? Wow, I'd never thought of that. What a good idea....

Lin, drjs@5, Emily and 2 others like this.
  19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You don't have "the look"? It's best delivered in absolute silence, and followed by at least 20 mins silence, followed by more silence....

Extraordinarily effective, I find.

edit: Oh, you mean you think my sentence construction meant an alternative husband? Rolling on the floor laughing.

Tatti, Emily and Newbie Lab Owner like this.
  20. Newbie Lab Owner

:D:D:D