Dog got jaw caught on puppy's collar! Scary!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by b&blabs, Jan 24, 2017.

1. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

This is one part therapy, one part warning!

My 7yo labradoodle and 7 month old Bessie were outside playing - they have a spot where they like to wrestle/play in the front yard. They've always played nicely, if rather boisterously, together. They've grown to be best buddies in the past 5 months (Burke was pretty growly with her about space inside at first, and it took a while before he'd really play with her).

I let them out unsupervised but I do usually check every few minutes to see where they are/how they're doing.

And now I realize that's a good thing. I checked on them a while ago and saw that Burke was standing over Bessie, who was writhing around on her back. I could only see that his mouth appeared to be on her throat. It didn't look like friendly play.

As soon as I opened the door I could hear her screaming - but strangled screams! I panicked. I thought he was trying to kill her, had lost his mind. He was agitated and jumping around but his mouth was firmly on her throat. Or so it looked like.

I ran over to separate them and when I got close I realized this was no fight - his lower jaw had gotten good and stuck, behind his canines, on her collar! They were both totally panicked. I managed to separate them.

It is a simple, high-quality, adjustable collar - Lupine Pet brand. Not breakaway though!

They were pretty much immediately fine and played together right afterward, but I came inside shaking like a leaf.

They do seem like they might be a little bit sore? But otherwise okay.

I'm really nervous about letting them out with collars now - but I don't want to let them out naked either!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Scary stuff! My two are naked all the time when on our property.

b&blabs likes this.
  3. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

I'm seriously considering it! I just worry if they run off, though they are microchipped. (Until spring thaw when I can get fencing put up, Burke is on the invisible fence so he does have to wear that collar, on beep/vibrate only, and she's on nothing - she sticks so close to him that I feel okay about it.) And our town law says they have to have the town tag on that shows they are registered and have had rabies shot. Also going to remove collars before I leave them alone in the house. I can't believe how stuck he was! I am still nauseous thinking about it.

4. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

Also she has been huffing and coughing a bit. :(Going to monitor and call the vet in a couple of hours if it doesn't go away. My poor baby!

5. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Goodness you must have got such a fright, hugs x

b&blabs likes this.
  6. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Aw that is very scary! I had a similar incident at a dog park. At home I don't leave their collars on anymore. Or if we visit friends who have dogs we take off the collars before they play.

Hope they are ok!

b&blabs likes this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

what a fright! I have three labs, they love to play and wrestle, so they never have collars on at home.
    Hope the pup (and you!) are OK.

b&blabs likes this.
  8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

For that reason my dogs never wear their collars in the house, only when we go out for a walk. Dogs have been known to be strangled when playing, very frightening.

b&blabs likes this.
  9. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

It is. Really frightening. I am afraid she could have been strangled if I hadn't seen. :( No more collars for them. The more I think about what could have happened, the sicker I feel.

She's sleeping now and no more huffing or coughing, so hopefully no damage. Her trachea feels okay to my hands so maybe just irritated/sore.

10. MF

MF Registered Users

It is scary! It happened to Snowie when he was a puppy. I thought he was attacking a pug. They were great friends and I was visiting with Snowie, still the size of a pug then! All of a sudden we heard the pug screaming and ran to the room to find blood sprayed up the wall and my sweet puppy standing over the pug with his jaw over the pug's neck. He'd turned into a monster!

Thankfully the friend I was visiting was very calm, immediately saw Snowie had his jaw stuck under the collar. But it was part choker chain and the chain had cut into the pug's nose, hence the blood. When she undid the collar, the pug just collapsed onto his side, he was in shock poor thing.

Very frightening and ever since Snowie never wears his collar at home.

11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

How horrible I hope they are all ok. You too.

b&blabs likes this.
  12. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

@MF Holy crap! Glad the pug was okay. That is exactly what happened minus the blood and cut, thankfully. I ran screaming at Burke to get off her and was wondering why he'd turned on her so terribly when I reached them and realized what was going on.

I felt like I was going to collapse after, but they seemed to be fine the second I got him free. They wanted to stay outside and play more.

13. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

So glad they're both ok!

My dogs go naked at home too. I haven't experienced them getting caught while playing thankfully, but I did have Lucan catch his dangly collar tag in the dishwasher drawer, panic and drag drawer complete with plates and cups out across the kitchen floor!

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm glad your dogs are OK. I had the same experience about 3 years ago when my two dogs playing, then came screaming from Hattie, whilst tumbling and twisting around Charlie's teeth got caught under Hattie's collar and he was choking her everytime he moved as he was scared. It took two of to separate them, me holding a 32kg Charlie up to stop him choking her whilst David frantically tried to get Hattie's collar undone. They were both very frightened but OK. From that day on the never, ever, ever wear their collars in the house or garden.

A lesson for everyone with multiple dogs, also never let your puppy/dog wear their collar in a crate, many dogs have caught their collars and been choked to death. Awful. :(

b&blabs likes this.
  15. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie's collar is a quick release which I think is very useful in these circumstances. We use quick release clasps cos he's in and out of the pool and I like to keep his collar dry if possible. But come to think of it, it would be easy to release if he ever got stuck like this (I hope never!!!).

I'm glad your dogs are happy to play after that. The pug never really wanted to play with Snowie again.

b&blabs likes this.
  16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That's really scary. I'm glad they both seem OK now. Harley never has a collar on unless we are out on a walk.

17. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

That's really scary - thanks for sharing. I will not keep Quinn's collar on while she is playing with others dogs from now on.

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

19. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Very frightening. I have heard of dogs being strangled that way. That is one really good aspect of a quick release collar. Oban's collar is a buckle and I worry when he plays with a dog we meet out walking. I would never leave two dogs alone wearing collars but out on a walk he has to be collared and so is the other dog. So glad you checked on them in time to separate them.

b&blabs likes this.
  20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh!
    I always remember Helen and @charlie' s story so always worry if Lilly and Georgie are still collared when at my SIL's house.

SO relieved there was a happy ending.
    Sounds like a stiff drink kind of day.