Don't know what to do :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by charlie, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

That must have been a bit of a heart stopping moment Helen :eek:
    Why do people chat away on their phones whilst walking their dogs? I can't understand it, life is hectic without adding it into a dog walk.
    I know we don't usually go around treating other people's dogs but you've already been trying to help this owner out over the past weeks/months, the dog was calm by then and still off lead with Hattie so I'd have done the same.
    Hope progress continues and this was just a little blip and that the owner does in future put his dog on lead.

charlie likes this.
  2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah I'm so glad Hattie wasn't too much under attack,but not acceptable really .
    Theres a lady I walk past a lot who is always on her phone ,once we got chatting as we'd found a lost dog on our neighbourhood.when I mentioned how busy she must be she said No,I'm addicted to Candy Crush ! What!? Playing a game while you are walking your dog!!! I have to add her dog walks perfectly on the lead and even stays by her if it's quiet and she has let it off.....there is no justice in the this world! :rofl:

bbrown, charlie and Newbie Lab Owner like this.
  3. Newbie Lab Owner

No justice whatsoever :rofl:

Dexter likes this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You're absolutely right, no justice. I meet a man out sometimes, he has two Clumbers and he is ALWAYS on his phone, those dogs never leave his side, they receive no instructions, never walk on a lead, I don't get it :rolleyes:

I have to say I never answer my phone on a dog walk unless it's one of my children's School or College ringing just incase something is wrong. Everyone else gets ignored.

@Newbie Lab Owner - Donna, I was worried incase I had done the wrong thing not putting Hattie on lead but it did give her a chance to get away. I hope it will be OK as I have told him to keep him on lead. x

kateincornwall likes this.
  5. Dexter

It's a lovely time to be able to ignore your phone isn't it? I love just heading out the 2 of us to the peace and quiet or to meet some doggie friends for a run and a chat x

Lisa and MaccieD like this.
  6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I think you did everything right under the circumstances Helen. I think giving the dog a treat was a good thing. He stopped bothering with hattie and looked at you so you've taught him something and that should be rewarded. Hopefully his owner will put him on lead next time you meet but worse case scenario if hattie is off lead keep her by you. If the dog wants to get near hattie he has to come to you which you now know means he'll look at you for a treat. Hopefully. :rolleyes: This might sound daft but was he being vicious with his snapping or could he be trying to play but really doesn't know how ?

MaccieD and charlie like this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh it's just bliss, it's my favourite part of the day no matter what the weather is. It's my only alone time, especially in our house :eek: I wouldn't swap my wonderful walks with Hattie for any amount of money. I love it :inlove: xx

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks @Jen, glad I did the right thing. He doesn't bother some dogs but has gone for others, I have asked around, but sometimes when he approaches Hattie he doesn't seem confident or really know what to do even though Hattie does all the right things, e.g no looking at him, curving away, stays close to me etc. Unfortunately he wasn't trying to play I think he meant business but I could be wrong I'm no expert, but his body language was not playful :(

Jen likes this.
  9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I don't understand this total obsession with mobiles , says she who doesn't own one, never have and never will ;) Well , a fib really as Paul did buy me one, its somewhere :)

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

No words....:hmm:

charlie likes this.
  11. Dexter

I know! She didn't even invite me to join....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Newbie Lab Owner and charlie like this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I don't either Kate but I do have one because I walk in very secluded places, so just in case! Also because of my children, I would never forgive myself if a School/College needed to get hold of me if they were taken ill. xx

kateincornwall likes this.
  13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

OK I have to ask, what is candy crush? :confused: x

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  14. kateincornwall

Its a game on FB Helen , I don't play it, don't play any games but a lot of people do . Re the phone , Paul bought me one because I also walk in isolated places , the reason I lost interest is because where I walk there is no signal ;) Cornwall is notoriously bad for all mobile receptions , but middle of a forest is nigh on impossible ;)

Newbie Lab Owner, charlie and MaccieD like this.
  15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

It's pretty pointless having a phone down your way LOL

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

My phone has always been a 'just in case' as I used to have to drive down country lanes to and from work, and walking with Juno I always have the phone in a pocket, for texting at different times with the kids but rarely use it for phone calls. Oh and I seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time on a certain forum on the phone when I can't sleep :)

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

A game, really whatever next :rolleyes: thanks Kate. I really need to drag myself into the 21st Century, but I do find with certain things ignorance is definitely bliss :D x

18. kateincornwall

You truly aren't missing anything Helen , I can think of much nicer wastes of time :)

19. Newbie Lab Owner

I do take my phone on our walks in case of an emergency.

MaccieD likes this.
  20. Cath

Cath Registered Users

I always have my mobile with me in my pocket. I rarely use it. I use the land line when I talk to someone,. My OH got it me, when my back went and I was on the kitchen floor for 3 hours, until someone came home and helped me. I have only used it once when walk any of my dogs and that is when Fred hurt his leg and wouldn't move and I couldn't lift him. Rang the OH and he came with the car to get us both.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    MaccieD likes this.