Double large safe dog crate - and two dogs...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, May 31, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, as OH points out, heavy stuff has to be on the floor and there isn't much of that space, otherwise only the dog survives the crash....so roof box it is.

I reckon a camper van is the thing, then that's accommodation for dog training holidays sorted too. :)

snowbunny and bbrown like this.
  2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yup it's all about the vans!!! :D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

4. bbrown

That looks just the ticket ;)

JulieT likes this.
  5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have a CAB box with a divider. It used to be two dogs in each compartment. The two boys in one and the girls in the other. Since getting Amy the girls' compartment is a bit cozy. It is a bit of a squeeze. But I prefer that to the dogs having loads of room to rattle around in. As my vet explained to me that most injuries dogs sustain in car crashes are due to the fact that the dogs had too much room to build up momentum on impact. I would definitely keep the box and put the divider in.

bbrown, pippa@labforumHQ and JulieT like this.
  6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Those are lovely. I've just been browsing their website for custom made 5 dog box arrangements (in a transit van). Sigh...lovely stuff.

bbrown likes this.
  7. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Wow! That's a hotel on wheels!

I always go for a custom built cage for my cars. My previous Passat had a Guardsman double cage but TBH I very rarely used the divider and the dogs, sometimes 3 at a time, were happy without it. So when I changed to the Berlingo Multispace (van with seats) I bought a single Barjo cage and I'm finding the larger door a lot easier.

The one disadvantage of using dog guards or even harnesses instead of a cage is that windows are often smashed in an accident allowing a dog to escape. I had to be cut out from a car nearly 20yrs ago now, it had been hit on the front, spun and hit again on the back, there was hardly an intact window left in it. Luckily the dogs hadn't been with us that day but the cage survived with hardly a dent.

bbrown and JulieT like this.
  8. bbrown

Yes escapee dogs worry me too!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yup....

10. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We are seriously looking at camper vans....:)

JulieT and bbrown like this.
  11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have a big 4x4 volvo, plus my car and the dogs have purpose built crates. I don't use the divider though. With three, it is a bit more difficult. We are considering an ex police car Mondeo estate as one option, they are very cheap to buy, and are all kitted out (minus the rear seats) for dogs to travel comfortably and safely.

One of them even comes with a labrador!

http://www.longfieldexport.co.uk/cardetails.php?van_id=1264

drjs@5 and bbrown like this.
  12. bbrown

My biggest problem is not the dogs so much as all the detritus that goes with children. Having the dogs in a crate there's nowhere to put anything else. It will have to go on the roof or else at some point a van or van based people carrier so there's room above the dog crate for stuff*

Where stuff=buggies, bikes, scooters, training vests, wellies, dummies, water carrier

Hhmmmm may need a lorry!

charlie, Bruer and JulieT like this.
  13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Roof box. I got one that has 6 or 7 shaped fitted bags - dead handy. Pack the bags, they all fit in their spaces in the box, take bags out at the other end. Fab.

drjs@5 and bbrown like this.
  14. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Trailer for the 'stuff'???

Actually you can get custom made dog trailers.;)

bbrown likes this.
  15. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

16. bbrown

Much prefer to have "stuff" in a trailer rather than dogs. I know some people use them but usually demo teams with half a dozen or so dogs. Not sure I'm going to use a trailer day to day but could be a fab plan for holidays :)

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

With 4 children, 2 dogs oh and David I should have got a lorry years ago! :D

Cath, drjs@5, Beanwood and 1 other person like this.
  18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

A campervan is definately the way to go. I will take some photos of the progress on ours in the next few weeks I can't wait to get away in it over the summer months
    Practicality wise, a camper isn't good for every day, but there are a lot if crew cab vans out there that can be converted to have dog crates and other storage, as well as having room for more humans.

19. bbrown

That's what I'm looking at! Combi vans with two rows of seats then van space behind the seats for dog box with storage above :D

Naya likes this.
  20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I fitted the divider...it has to go in the middle at the front, but is offset at the back to give Charlie a bit more room than Betsy (she is still quite a small pup). It's ok....I'm not thrilled with the space Charlie has. Betsy seems fine, for now while she is still so tiny. Dunno....safedog also do a sort of gate system - a gate at the front, and a guard behind the seats. That would give them a lot more room, so I'm going to see what the safety ratings are on that....

[​IMG]Untitled by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr