Enzo's clicker training.... Here goes nothing

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sim, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Deejay50

Deejay50 Registered Users

Very impressive start to the recall exercise! I've just bought a whistle but not used it yet. Pippa's Total Recall book arrived today, so I hope to build on what Ted's picked up so far. I also get him to come to two people at opposite ends of the garden. We click and treat most ends.

On a fashion note: Where did you get the harness, what brand and what size? Ted's already outgrown his first one and the one i just bought from Pets at Home is too big. He's days younger than Enzo and today weighs 8.1kg.

Ted was born on May 4th so we got lots of suggestions of Star Wars names. We almost opted for Jabba the Mutt.......:D

snowbunny likes this.
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Jabba the Mutt! Hahah!!!

3. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Jabba the mutt! Love it, hahaha, may the paws be with you :)
    Should nickname him it haha.

The recall training is going well but there has been no distractions at all yet, as soon as I see people or dogs Enzo goes straight onto the lead.

The harness is a 3-peaks one, they do a lot of outdoor rangey stuff, it may even have been from pets at home. He's only got a week left in it I think and will be needing a new one, it's got a nice wide chest area so hopefull get a similar one in a larger size.
    Enzo was born May 1st so a very similar age to Ted :)

Deejay50 likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rorys first name was Rory suaez after the football player who kept bitting others

Xena Dog Princess and Deejay50 like this.
  5. Deejay50

Love it. Did Rory also claim he never did it?

6. Deejay50

We also got Obi Ted Kanobi, and (natch) Chewbacca or Chewy (very apt). I just noticed the Kong toy in Enzo's photo. Ted has the same one. He's very taken with another Kong toy right now called a Hemp Friend. It has a squeak and a very satisfying crackle as he chews. I've learned to put away some of his toys for a time so he doesnt get bored with them. His favourite still seems to be a plastic drinks bottle (without lid or seal), with a couple of treats inside.

Tomorrow will be a big recall training day....

7. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Good spotting on the kong, I can't even see it anywhere haha. I only ever give him the Kong when it's crate time.

We've given Him a 2ltr bottle with the lid on to keep it 'hard' and he chased it around the living room for 5 minutes Going nuts!! We had to take it off him because he was getting too wound.
    What size do you put treats in, a 500ml? Sounds a good idea for a change for him.

All the best for recall training tomorrow :)

8. Deejay50

I put a few bits of kibble inside a 500ml bottle. It gets a bit loud. I also use the cardboard inner tube of a kitchen roll,edges folded over, containing kibble, also a favourite, but we find bits of chewed cardboard everywhere.

I decided to keep a diary of his activity for one day today. I optimistically got out a sheet of A4 paper. Started at 5.25am today, now 6.30am and already I've almost covered the page! God, he's lively! Now crashed out. I thought I might do a separate pee diary and call it the Yellow Pages.

I'm now about to search the forum for "how to get your puppy off the furniture" - he can now climb up......

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I've got a dog toy which Moo loves with has a very tough plastice bottle it has a piece of rope that goes in via the neck and you fill it with treats which are small enough to work through by moving the rope. It keep Midgy happy for hours and is her favourite activity toy. can't remeber where i got it from but it was a good buy

Just keep going they get less lively when they get older it just very exciting being a pup when everything is so new. Rory has got into the routine of the house now and Moo had gone deaf so I now get a lie in until 5am which is amazing. She can't hear the water heater come on so I get extra time in bed Shes been waking me up early for 13 years.

my old boy was St Douglas of the 2nd way and Moo is know as "the heart of darkness"

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Lovely to read about your puppies. Molly, at nearly 3 years still loves plastic bottles and her delight in being given, or more often finding while out walking, a new one is really funny. I do take off the lids and little plastic ring that's around the bottle neck so she doesn't swallow it.
    Most of Molly's toys aren't bought - another favourite, that your pups might like, is a 2 foot length of hose pipe.

11. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I take my plastic milk bottles to the next level by adding some pegs into it. Screw the lid on tight and then try to ignore the noise that erupts from said bottle being frantically chased around the room. I replace the bottle a couple of times a week so that the plastic is all fresh. I squish it down a bit first so that she's able to chomp down on it and shake it about like a mad thing.

12. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Not much of a training update, just a few wet Enzo pics from introducing him to a paddling pool a few days ago :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beanwood likes this.
  13. Deejay50

you know that Total Recall book I started reading? Yesterday Ted casually approached it on the chair (I know, I know - my fault), and pulled out the bookmark! He then chewed said bookmark which is now in the bin. Now where was I in the book?

14. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Enzo has grown!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Still a cutie :)

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Enzo you are gorgeous! Love the neat sit and such a focused look! :)

17. Sim

Sim Registered Users

Thanks both, he's settled soooo well :)

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Now the title of this thread needs changing!!

:)

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

He is beautiful! Or handsome, I suppose....

20. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Very very handsome :heart::heart: