Epilepsy/possible epilespy and meds

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by FayRose, Dec 2, 2016.

1. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

This post is just a sort of 'beware' message.

In another thread I suggested the meds a dog might be prescribed and I don't want that to be misunderstood.

If your lab has been diagnosed as epileptic or it is suspected and he/she has been prescribed a particular drug, be careful.
    I suggested weaning a dog off phenobarbitone onto potassium bromide (Epilease) purely from my own experience.

If you want your dog to come off phenobarb and switch to another type of med PLEASE don't just stop the drug. Talk to your vet and agree a timetable and method with him, this is very important.

It can be VERY dangerous to stop these type of meds without proper monitoring.

Stacia, drjs@5 and MF like this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Not sure I saw your original message Fay, but I totally agree, don't muck around with epilepsy meds whether they are your own human ones, or those for pets.
    Stopping suddenly can trigger prolonged seizures which could cause brain damage (for instance), sometimes even be fatal.
    Even when used for non epilepsy reasons, they can trigger seizures in healthy people when stopped suddenly (many tablets used for epilepsy are used for nerve pain problems)

Stacia and FayRose like this.