Excessive biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Calbury, May 2, 2016.

1. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

I know lab puppies bite and I've mentioned in another thread that Nugget is a biter. But the last couple of days have been incredibly bad, with today the worst by far.

He is 17 weeks now, so he's quite a size. Over the past couple of days he has torn my coat, my daughter's coat and several pairs of trousers. Worse than that, though, he's biting our skin... really, really hard.

This is not 'nipping' - it is very hard biting. Redirecting him to a toy does not work - he is intent on biting US. Turning our backs and walking away is impossible - he clamps on to the back of our legs. He jumps up over and over again, teeth bared. Saying 'ouch' really loudly or anything like that is completely ineffective, as is trying to give him ANY command. He's oblivious to everything except biting.

Today we have either 'escaped' from the room he's in (which is gated) and turned our backs on him, or put him in his crate. EVERY time we've gone back to him, he's started biting again. And when I say 'put' him in his crate, it's really been more a case of trying to manoeuvre him into it, hanging desperately on to his harness, as he's been biting whatever part of us he can reach.

Honestly, it's been horrible. My hands are bleeding and I'm feeling pretty miserable. Is this really normal? Will he really grow out of this? Believe me, I ALWAYS reward him for good quiet behaviour, so I really am at my wits end to know what else to do. :(

2. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I feel your pain, it's such a difficult stage and hurts really hurts. What worked for me was remain silent and as calm as you possibly can, pick him up and put him in his crate and walk away out of sight. Leave him for a short while. When you let him out just open the crate and walk silently away. If he does it again, repeat and leave him for longer.
    When he has stopped then do something quiet with him like a massage or just go about your own business.
    Also you could give him ice cubes to chew on, these can help with easing his gums if they are bothering him.
    My boy stopped at around 20 weeks with only the odd relapse. Standing still, exchanging for a toy etc did not work with Dexter.
    It's the worse part of having a puppy but it does stop and becomes a distant memory.
    It is hard staying silent and calm when those sharp teeth are so painful and the puppy seems is full of determination. :eek:

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. Sophiathesnowfairy

Sophiathesnowfairy Registered Users

Oh @Calbury sending hugs I empathise. We still have bad days and good days.

I just got some garricks bitter Apple spray so we are giving it a go. Luna sounds very similar to Nugget quite high energy and stubborn.

4. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Oh I know that feeling, Mole was a terrible biter and I'm sure it was teething - distraction and ignoring didn't do much when he was at his worst either and at 17weeks he was terrible. Things to chew on were our friend at that time - particularly rope toys, plastic bottles, frozen kongs (he had 3 or 4 a day taken out of his food allowance and still does, and supervised rawhide strips really helped. By 20 weeks it had pretty much stopped and he is now at 24 weeks much more gentle and still lives a chew of his toys but not us!! Hang in there!!
    Sam and Mole

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  5. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

Thank you both for your replies - I may have to try the spray! And @Newbie Lab Owner, you've given me hope that there may not be too much longer to go. When I read the articles about biting, I think that Nugget must be different to other pups because the techniques described would simply never work! It helps to know he's not the only pup like this. I do give him ice cubes - yesterday I gave him the whole tray, but he just munched them up and flew at me again!

I know we are supposed to enjoy the puppy period, but I honestly can't wait until he grows up a little bit! Now and then he's calm and I get a glimpse into how having him could be lovely... one day! (Sorry if that sounds awful!)

6. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

Our posts crossed @samandmole - thank you too. Yes, he gets all the household rubbish to chew on - he certainly helps condense the recycling! Sadly, though, he doesn't like his kongs frozen or semi-frozen, although he will crunch up ice cubes. But it sounds to me as if this is something we will just have to get through - you have given me hope. Thank you!

7. Newbie Lab Owner

Oh and another thing I did was wear a fleece jacket as a cardigan but only had my left arm in a sleeve as I'd had shoulder surgery and a sling on my right arm. Dexter would grab my left arm and I couldn't get him off, arrh. But I could whip the jacket off and get him into his crate, close the door enough that he couldn't get out, wait for him to release the sleeve and then shut him in.
    I found the looser fitting fleece jacket helped as although I still felt the sharpness of those pesky baby teeth he latched onto the jacket and not my skin. Yep I was very bruised and his personal tug toy due to my surgery. I kept wearing the same couple of outfits that were becoming holier and holier.
    Oh boy did I think it would never end and wondered why on earth we had got a puppy. But you are on the home straight.

8. Newbie Lab Owner

No it does not sound awful at all, I can remember telling my husband, that Dexter will have to go back to the breeder if this carries on much longer. Dexter only basically did it to me but I was the one with him all the time. Just give him one or two at a time, then if he flies at you, straight into time out.
    Also if you know or suspect he's tired, let him sleep. Dexter would want to follow me, so I'd pop him in his crate and sit where he could see me close by and read a book, put on a meditation and lay on the floor near his crate or read and rant on the forum. I couldn't do much as I'd had surgery anyway.
    So if he's biting, put him in the crate, then let him out, then have a treat ready and say "in your bed", if he knows the cue, treat, sleep, relax and breath.

9. Sophiathesnowfairy

Sophiathesnowfairy Registered Users

Yes, I feel like I am crating Luna a lot at the minute. I wondered the other day if it was partly because she was overwhelmed and a bit over tired. I read something about puppies needing loads of sleep and she wasn't getting anywhere near enough, particularly in the afternoons and weekends when the kids are home. So I have started putting her in a crate for periods in the day so she chills and goes to sleep.

All the answers here give me lots of hope that it will stop but I think we need to get through the 17 week hurdle first!!!! Eeeek. I guess I will be here a lot that week!

10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Calbury so sorry to near that you are having such a tough time at the moment, unfortunately the biteyness is not unusual. The good news is that it sounds as if you're nearly through the phase if he has escalated his "attacks" :). Very often with our furry brained companions, the behaviour we're trying to modify or stop becomes worse as our pup desperately tries to get us to engage and play etc in the way they want. Hold out and continue as you have, although I probably wouldn't drag him by his harness to his crate as he may see that as an invitation to rough play :( Although it may not feel like it you are winning the battle. It's a little like a toddler having a temper tantrum because he's not getting his own way, ignoring the behaviour gradually wins the day.

11. Newbie Lab Owner

One day in the not to distant future you will suddenly think, oh, he's stopped biting :D
    Oh and it does, I found escalate as @MaccieD says, or it did with mine. This was actually the turning point to the light at the end of the tunnel.

MaccieD likes this.
  12. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

There is a technical term 'extinction' which covers the process so it is a well documented behaviour and one that has a definite end, although as Donna ( @Newbie Lab Owner ) says, it often takes us a few days to realise that we haven't been fighting razor sharp teeth :)

13. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

Thank you - can't wait for the end of the biting! To be honest I think I will notice it straight away - for the last few days, I've had to brace myself every time I've walked into the room he's in... that's how bad he is at the moment! The moment I walk in and he doesn't bite me... well, it will be a memorable one! ;)

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Calbury just an off the wall thought about your body language when entering room. Is it possible that Nugget is picking up on your "bracing yourself" so his response is more 'wired' if you know what I mean. Dogs are so adept at picking up nuances from our body language, sometimes what we haven't intended. I know life is really hard at the moment and you and your children have really worked hard through the biting phase, so a small suggestion, before going into the room with Nugget, try to feel positive, relax and smile it may just make a little difference.

15. Hugo's mum

Hugo's mum Registered Users

Really interesting thread we are going through the same @Calbury particularly first thing in the morning which is the busiest time trying to get kids ready for school etc - Hugo is OK during the day with me but think it's all too much for him when kids and husband are in and out - it is really hurting now and kids have hardly any leggings left - I darent wear anything nice! Hugo is 16 weeks x

Sophiathesnowfairy likes this.
  16. Newbie Lab Owner

Have you tried putting Hugo in his crate whilst everyone gets ready for their day? It is probably as you say, all to much for him and he doesn't know what to do, gets OTT and bites. I'd give him a frozen Kong or a chew toy, pop him in his crate/pen or behind a gate where he can still see you at this time.

MaccieD likes this.
  17. Newbie Lab Owner

I can remember being and doing the same. When I was at the vets one day, the receptionist noticed that after Dexter had an OTT moment and was biting at my sleeve after he stopped I was then bracing myself and with my body language offering my arm back to him, I was I thought just being prepared in case he did it again. This was helpful to have an outsiders view as my OH hadn't picked up on it. I had days to where all I seemed to do was contend with his biting and he was relentless.

MaccieD likes this.
  18. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

I don't THINK I'm visibly bracing - funnily enough, it's something I'd noticed my daughter doing, so I was aware of it. But your comments give me a lot of hope @Newbie Lab Owner because when you said "I had days to where all I seemed to do was contend with his biting and he was relentless" I identified with you completely. Relentless is the perfect word. I'm glad to know that another puppy has been THIS bitey and still come through it!

That being said, I did get a 'day off' yesterday (as I mentioned in another thread). He's back to his old bitey self today but I did enjoy those bite-free hours yesterday.

19. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

That is a real step forward so just carry on with how you've been managing the biting, and soon you will discover that it's not one day that you've got through but several :), and that you're through the biting phase - just in time for the teenage tantrums ;):eek::D

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  20. Hugo's mum

Hugo's mum Registered Users

Thanks good to know Hugo is 'normal' today has been a bit better he has eaten lots of ice cubes! X