Fat Labradors - and fat dogs in general

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, Apr 8, 2016.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yep this park is bitchy gossip central, luckily the evil w*t*h doesn't just have a go at me its everyone else. she even bougth some tins of dog food for another friend to help with her dogs weight problem.

I use steamed green beans apple and stuff like that too Stacia, she loves the steamed beans on a cold day. She just doesn't move so much or so fast now there was a time when it was hard to keep any weight on her at all she was so busy

Stacia likes this.
  2. lynnew

lynnew Registered Users

What a vile thing for that woman to say to you !!! People seem to think that they can say anything they like about dogs.

Like Odin's owner in the past I have been asked if George is a pedigree as he was thin and 'greyhoundy' (he's a bit more portly at the mo as he's 'helping' train the puppy - which is code for sneaking training treats). I know it's not on the same scale as the insult you received but it stung and was none of this persons blasted business!

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Everyone thinks Rory is a pointer cross.

There person in question tends to shut up if directly confronted she does that stage whisper as you walk past to a friend. She tends to leave me alone now after we had a discussion about it, also I stummbled across her taking a leak pants down in some bushes (so wish I had a camera) and I just can't take someones seriously once i've seen their fat bum in the air. She was so upset and I needed sit down I was laughing so much.

lynnew, drjs@5, Saba's Boss and 3 others like this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I shouldn't laugh, but...

:cwl::rofl::cwl::rofl:

Dexter likes this.
  5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh How sweet that must of been for you :cwl::cwl:

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh you've gotta love the Forum,the emotional highs and lows a read through can take you on!

Lisa and snowbunny like this.
  7. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

JulieT likes this.
  8. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Hi FoxyLady, 2 months ago we've adopted two black lab sisters, aged nearly four, and overweight... one was 36kg, the other 34kg. They're fed on kibble (180g a day, Acana) and carrots for treats, but the weight loss, despite reasonable exercise (they're not that fit) is slow and seemingly has plateaued now. Reading some of the comments in this thread I'm realising that we can cut the kibble amount even more, but am considering switching to raw food... was it a difficult transition? Any tips you have would be really appreciated. I'm very keen to help the girls reach a better level of health. Thank you!

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

There is a whole board on Raw Feeding - I don't do this myself but thought I would point you that way. Lots of info there!
    http://thelabradorforum.com/forums/raw-feeding.39/

NickyW likes this.
  10. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Thanks, Lisa... that's what I've been looking for... still finding my way around!

11. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

The people at the hydrotherapy pool I took her too for a while, reminded me to feed her according to what her target weight was, not her current weight (although I did keep revising her target weight downwards based on what she looked like!) I was told to aim for between 0.5-2% weight loss per week. The switch to raw wasn't hard for Ellie - she was a natural raw feeder devouring whole (baby) rabbits (fur included only a bit of tail left) with no ill effects (apart from massive quantities of poo!). I feed my other dogs raw too, so it was easier for me. Basically I now feed her 1/3Kg of minced meat and veg from Natural Instinct in the morning and 3 or 4 chicken back carcasses in the evening just the same as my wee "pocket rocket" lab who is only 20KG weight but pure fizz in energy. It might be easier to start with one of the 'balanced minces' from one of several possible companies - its easier to judge how much you've given each day and what the resultant weight loss was.

12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I have my sister's English Shepherd for the week. She's not obese but sure is overweight. A week isn't going to be enough time for me to whip her into shape. Unless I take one of the two meals a day I'm supposed to feed her and throw it out? Naw, that would be too much too soon.

13. NickyW

NickyW Registered Users

Thanks for that... interesting to hear about the baby rabbits. I'm sure that one of my dogs would be the same, as she has already caught a pigeon in the garden and was in the process of 'plucking' it when I found her. It was early days then, so I took it away from her, but now realise that she has a strong hunting instinct, so I guess raw food is part of that. I had wondered about starting with one of the ready-made balanced minces, but then read that it's important to have proper raw food with bones etc. At the moment, my main aim is weight loss and good health for the girls, so I guess I could transition them slowly to the rabbits etc! I tend to use strips of raw salmon as recall treats, which draws other dogs as well, but hopefully healthier than some of the treats out there. I knew about feeding according to target weight, and have been doing so, trying to factor in calories for treats, but isn't it interesting how the suggested portion sizes on even what I would call the better-quality kibbles is quite large?! A learning curve, so it's good to be able to share and to hear other people's stories.

FoxyLady likes this.
  14. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

just to add - the raw minces usually do have ground up bone in them - they are supposed to be 'balanced' - the disadvantage of the minces is that crunching on real bones is better for their teeth.
    For recall treats - well I tend to think that good recall is more important than their weight loss diet - good recall = more freedom = more exercise = happy dogs and owner, so salmon is good - whatever works.

NickyW likes this.
  15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I reckon you could safely cut down her food by a third while she's with you. Don't tell her I said that!

Snowshoe and drjs@5 like this.
  16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

That's really good to read.

17. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I want to know how you drew around him! I can imagine a chalk outline like at a murder scene... :D

18. Saba's Boss

Exactly! OH stroked Saba's ears and kept him still, and I used the children's chalk on the patio!

drjs@5 and snowbunny like this.
  19. Saba's Boss

Saba was weighed at puppy clinic this morning, and in the 6 weeks since his last visit, he's put on 1kg, grown 3 cms across his chest, but only 1cm around his waist. No wonder he's hard to hold on a harness; he's front-wheel drive!

drjs@5, Jes72 and MaccieD like this.
  20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

:rofl:

Front wheel drive is bad enough. I swear my spaniel is 4 wheel drive!!

Saba's Boss likes this.