Fireworks...

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by jessieboo, Oct 30, 2016.

1. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Well firework season is upon us! This will be Jessie's first. Someone had a display last night and jessie was clearly worried by it and initially ran around barking with her hackles up. What is the best response to this? We were sitting watching Strictly together as a family and tried to reassure her that it was OK,we were all calm. In the end I gave her a chew which distracted her and she sat eating it snuggled up to my daughter (who also hates fireworks!!) But is there a better way to deal with this so she doesn't have a lifetime fear?

2. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

What you've done is right. Keep the telly on and everything as normal as possible. The fact that you were able to distract her with her Kong is good.

Homer has developed quite severe noise phobias with severe panting, pacing, scraping and wanting to get into the most impossible places knocking over lamps and furniture it was impossible to keep things normal. You're welcome to read my thread "Too scared to go outside" where I've included advice from the behaviourist.

Homer is now on quite strong medication. He growled and barked at the fireworks last night which was a great relief and improvement from being up all night with a dog going through a complete panic attack!

3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'm feeling guilty for not having started a firework desensitization plan months ago. But she's not worried by the nail gun so I'm quietly optimistic. Fortunately we're in summer time here so people don't start setting them off 'til 830ish, but I'll probably keep the tv on quite loud and not take her out for last wees until late. I hope all our pups get through it in one piece.

4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

We had our first fireworks last night. Luckily Stanley didn't seem to concerned and carried on chewing his rawhide. Didn't even lift his head.

We've arranged it so he'll never be left alone on a night for the next few weeks though just to make sure. I'd hate to think of him scared in his crate by himself.

5. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Thank you for the advice! I have armed myself with rawhide chews. I've also found some desensitisation tracks.,I didn't even know there was such a thing!!! So we'll try those for the next few days.

We also plan to be in over the weekend, so she's not on her own with them!!

Poor Homer!!! I hope he comes through this.