First Puppy!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by LauraBeaux, Oct 21, 2015.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

PS hands up who just sang "Smelly bum" ;)

2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ok, I may have just sang smelly bum.. Btw, how have you had so many pets?? Are you 90 years old?

We get stuck singing that Rihanna song "under my umbrella, Ella, Ella, eh, eh, eh" but we usually throw a couple of extra "Ella's" in there hehe

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

sdegg that made me choke on my tea laughing :cool::cool:

4. snowbunny

I certainly feel it sometimes! Old enough; I'm 37, although I' now old enough that I sometimes forget my age, and spent all of last year thinking I was 37, so it was a pleasant surprise last birthday to find I wasn't going up a number :D

My pet history has been over nearly 35 years, so there's a lot of time to fit animals in. Timothy was my first pet when I was 3 or 4. The hamsters and cats were on a rollover system ( :D ) and we often had several at once. I think the record was three hamsters, two cats and one dog in the house. Dogs and cats were all rescues, always adults and so didn't have the same number of years with us as had they been babies when they came to us.

The dogs were family dogs, so I left the last ones of those and the last cats when I left home, got my own cats, Garibaldi and Bakewell. Bakewell had kittens, and we kept three of them. Yes, I was that mad cat lady, and had Rutherford the rabbit at the same time. I was taking a Physics degree, so it seemed fitting. Rutherford sadly died young - I learnt not to buy from the local pet shop :(

I actually forgot, at that time, we also had a leopard gecko and a corn snake (whose names escape me) and a tarantula called Rose (because she was a Chilean Rose). My then husband got all the exotics in the divorce. I then bought two royal pythons called Smirnoff and Metz but they couldn't come with me when I emigrated, so they went to live with a good friend of mine who rescues all sorts of crazy stuff - he's one of these people that Customs & Excise send illegally-imported animals to. His house is amazing - he even got the MBE for what he does! I could go and visit them for many years whenever I was back in the UK, so they were very happy little things :)

Then there was a very long gap until Fidget & Twitch the ferrets came along. We've had them for about 5 years now. Great little things - they make you laugh every day! And now, obviously, Willow and Shadow.

It does sound a lot, but (other than when I was the mad cat lady!) it didn't seem like lots of animals at any one time and loads of them were really small :)

5. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Registered Users

Welcome, and good luck with the name search!

This is a genuine problem we face on a daily basis. The things that rhyme with Lola are frankly rubbish for songs... Tombola, cola, pianola, mandola, and slightly worryingly, ebola... Pick wisely!

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I love the name Homer.for a dog. Friends of the family many, many years ago had a black lab called Homer and he was pure class! :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

My first pet was a goldfish Scott won at the fair when he was about 4. He called it Colliewobbles which we shortened to Collie. It lived forever....well it did die but lasted for over 6 year and was transparent by the time it got buried in the flower bed.
    And a rescue rabbit named Willie (appropriately) once it was found he wasn't actually a Millie. Followed by another rescue rabbit Daisy.
    And now there's Lilly :)

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I might call my next dog Gregory.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Definitely think we have scared the OP......

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

But she does have a song all of her own, of course - Lola, L-O-L-A Lola...

11. snowbunny

Her name was Lola. She was a show girl... :)

12. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Hi and welcome! I am Annemarie with my two boys Euan and Finn. I searched on Internet for a dogs name under Celtic boys names. Perhaps you can find a name on Internet too?

Annemarie

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there...just popping by to say Hi and Welcome...we have Dexter a 3 year old yellow boy ....this thread has made me laugh,I hope it's made you feel welcome....some of our replies to things are so funny!
    I wasn't allowed a dog as a child so we had a whole menagerie of creatures as substitute....
    Amongst my favourites was Wilbur the massive white rabbit ( I loved The book Charlotte's Web ) and Mrs Wonderful a beautiful goose who turned out to be Mr Wonderful a rather unpredictable gander who had to be rehomed at a local small holding when the habit of chasing my sister up into the pear tree all became too stressful for everyone! I thought he was.......wonderful!

14. snowbunny

Oh, Wilbur! Brilliant name! I would love a Wilbur! Maybe my next one.... ;)

15. Cath

Cath Registered Users

[FONT=&quot]I thought I was the only one who sang to my dog.[/FONT]

16. Dexter

Oh I'm off to find the thread where we all 'fessed up to the songs we sing to our dogs.....Debs Broderick song was the one that I always remember!

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh where that thread :D

18. Dexter

Oh I can't find it....we were talking about nicknames we give our dogs and songs we sing to them.....it was pretty funny....l
    I can't find anything on the searches I'm doing....I need JulieT and her encyclopedic memory...she can actually remember chunks of posts .....I'll keep trying ,it was pre changeover on The Forum though ....

19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh Please do I think it sounds funny. If not, maybe we could start another thread about singing to your dog :)

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users