Fishy odor from girl pup.

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Windytree, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Windytree

Windytree Registered Users

My six-month-old bitch emits a very fishy smell, nice in a while. When this occurs, she gives attention to her rear end. Is this a matter of coming into her cycle, does it have to do with anal glands, or something else?

2. Windytree

...sorry, I meant to say, "Once in a while," "nice" was a typo.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I guess it could be anal glands but if she is not yet spayed then I might worry about infection and run it past the vet.
    I'm thinking pyometra and although "once in a while" sounds an unlikely fit, pyometra isn't something you want to miss.
    My 6.5 yr old spayed girl gets episodic vaginally discharge but it is clear/cloudy and not at all smelly that I have noticed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Sounds like anal glands - Quinn had that smell (also on her breath) and we noticed her scooting her bum sometimes when she was around 19 weeks. The vet expressed her glands and she's been fine ever since.

5. Windytree

Thanks for sharing your experience, QuinnM15 anddrjs@5... I will ask my vet, next visit.

6. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

how old is your pup. if they are young enough, you may consider that your puppy is teething and a tooth is about to pop off. usually a fishy smell when that happens too.

7. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

just missed it u said 6 months... prime time for teething... its probably the smell from teeth about to fall off. you will see the tooth is loose, sometimes bleeding and its a greyish white compared to the other ones.