Flea/ Tick Treatment

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dino7, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Dino7

Dino7 Registered Users

Hi All,

I've only ever known squirting the little pippet of liquid into the scruff of the neck but now it seems that the new way is in tablet form. Apart from the fact that my brain is struggling to process why you'd treat the skin from the inside-out, the vet also advises that the tablet can make the dog feel under the weather for a day or two, which doesn't sit so well with me when combined with my gut reaction to the tablet form.
    Having treated our puppy once with this method, it did indeed make him a bit quiet for a day.

So, thoughts please? What method do people prefer?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What is the drug you are giving in tablet form?

3. Dino7

Dino7 Registered Users

Its called Bravecto.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I use Advantix (spot-on) against ticks. I've not had a problem with fleas, but ticks are a real issue where I am. I did use Bravecto once, because the Advantix didn't seem to be working as effectively as I'd like. The Bravecto was 100% effective at killing any ticks that attached to the dogs, but therein lay the problem for me - since it doesn't have ay sort of deterrent, the ticks would have to attach in order for the drug to work, and that meant the dogs were bringing live ticks into the house on their coats, where they hadn't attached. That, and finding the dead ticks everywhere was pretty gross. I repeat that this was a place with a very heavy infestation of ticks due to many acres of long grass, so if you live in a place where you only get the odd tick here and there, you may be able to live with it.

I went back to using Advantix and checking regularly. As it turns out, I didn't find another tick for the rest of the summer, which could have been because the number of ticks diminished through management of the grass areas, the time of year, maybe because I'd not put it on properly or that it was getting to the end of its effective period when the ticks were getting through.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's not difficult to understand how Bravecto works - the dog absorbs it, and then the active ingredient (fluralaner) is present in the dog's tissues just under the skin.

Spot on treatments like Advantix work by being absorbed into the skin, and the skin's oil production systems then ensures it provides coverage across all of the dog.

Some people like Bravecto, other people don't. Some people dislike the use of spot on treatments because they are harmful to aquatic life if the dog swims. There are pros and cons of both.

I use Advantix on my dogs during the very limited tick season where I live - they tend to only need one or two treatments a year.

6. Dino7

Dino7 Registered Users

Thanks snowbunny, interesting to know.

Thanks JulieT. Must admit I hadn't looked into how the different drugs worked, so thats really interesting, thank you.
    What I meant was I don't like the idea of a drug that is used to kill parasites on the skin being processed through the dogs internal system (unlike worm treatment when you are wanting to treat parasites inside the dogs system) as surely it can't be good for them, particularly if it makes them feel unwell.
    I just wondered what the general consensus was and if there was a preference in experienced dog owners.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Spot on treatments are absorbed by the dog - just through the skin. Advocate, for example, is absorbed via the skin and kills intestinal worms. Either way, the dog absorbs the drugs.

8. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I swapped from a spot on to Bravecto on the advice of my vet - I was very worried with the initial treatment and watched Ripple like a hawk. We've now had two treatments and no problems either time but I still don't particularly like giving Bravecto.

9. Branston1080

Branston1080 Registered Users

Hi there,

We use Nexgard for Winnie and she seems just fine, no adverse reactions. My old girl Maddie has a super thick coat, is aquatic by nature so spot ons tend not to be very effective. This year we tried a seresto flea and tick collar, have to say it was great. Lasted 6 months, no fleas or ticks, Maddie wasn't scratching at all.
    As there are lots of options it's what suits your dog that's important.

10. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

I use Seresto collars on the cats and the dog. We have a real tick problem here, herd of Red deer in the fields and woods surrounding us. With the various drop ons, ticks still attach even though they die within a short time, but since using the collars we haven't seen a tick attach at all. They can be expensive from the vet but last about 8 months. I wouldn't use anything else.

11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

We used to use spot-on treatment (Frontline) for Pongo. He didn't like having it, and I am sure that it made him feel "off" for a day or so afterwards (he was always a bit quiet and clingy, as if he had a headache). Three months ago we changed to Bravecto, and he is much happier - shows no ill effects at all. He had his second Bravecto treatment a couple of days ago - again, no side effects, happy dog. (Also, he thinks the tablets are delicious.)

I think it is very much about finding a treatment that works for your dog. Some react to the spot-on, some not - the same with the oral tablet.

How old is your puppy?

12. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I use the Seresto collar for Cooper....he has been using this for a couple of years now. It lasts 8 months and does a great job. We DO have a problem with ticks here....this past Summer it was really bad. Cooper has been 100% with this collar.

13. Dino7

Dino7 Registered Users

Thank you. That's good to know. We used the front line on the scruff of his neck to start with and then he has had one tablet. He's due another now which we have but I haven't given yet. He's 6 months.

Thank you all for the replies. Really useful.

14. MF

MF Registered Users

I'm sure those members who have read my other posts will know I am very anti Bravecto (and other oral chews for fleas/ticks). Our dog had two seizures after taking it. It stays in the blood and the tick must have a blood meal before dying. The insert says because of this it cannot be considered 100% effective. Go figure.

I have read too many bad stories about dogs suffering from Bravecto, usually after the second or third tablet - very sick, some dying. It builds up in the system and apparently ticks have died after attaching to a dog a year after the last tablet was taken.

I write this from a tick-infested biliary area (we here for a week). To say I am worried is an understatement. We have used a ghastly-smelling spray repellent on Snowie's fur. I have picked a few ticks off that were crawling on his fur.

It's a tough call. Do you have tick-borne diseases in your area? If not, then why treat for it? I find it very difficult giving an insecticide to a dog - either orally or via the skin.

Btw fluralaner is dangerous to aquatic life, too.

Stacia likes this.
  15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think the best thing to do with all of these things is ask a vet - a vet you trust to have looked into the research, understand how the drug works, and really considers your dog (and has properly looked at his medical history) and understands the particular risks in the area that you live.

Thankfully, I have such a vet, and if I didn't I'd sack him and find a better one. After I've done that, I take his advice.

MF likes this.