Frightened of Strangers

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by hebs, Oct 13, 2016.

1. hebs

hebs Registered Users

My female lab Ruby is 2 years old and is terrified of strangers. She barks, growls and shakes when strangers come into the house.
    She is fine with people she knows and makes a great fuss of them. She has a lovely nature otherwise but it is quite upsetting to see her get so worked up.
    She is also scared of the vet and drools, shakes and her heart races.
    Any tips would be appreciated

2. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Poor little thing. Did she have a bad experience anytime? I'm afraid I've no advice as I'm new to this but I hope you find an answer. X

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum. You need to start her off at a distance she feels comfortable with, so that will probably be strangers outside of your house. The idea is to reward her (treats or games) for looking at the trigger without responding - so you need to make sure the distance is great enough that she doesn't respond. The idea is, you're taking something that makes her feel mildly uncomfortable, and replacing those feelings with good ones. Over time (which may be several sessions), you can move closer, always keeping at a distance where she doesn't react (this may mean that sometimes you have to back up again - other things in the environment that you may not notice may make it more challenging, so don't expect it to be a linear progression). Always lots of good treats for remaining calm and not reacting.

Make sure the stranger isn't staring at her - it's best if you can have them side-on to her, as it's less threatening. Eventually, have the stranger toss a few treats to land near her. Don't rush to have her take them from the stranger's hand, as this can be stressful. Just having her in the presence of a stranger with treats magically appearing on the ground is good enough. Have the stranger engage in conversation with you and ignore Ruby.

You can then start to use the same protocol in your garden and in your house. Remember, the key is always distance. If she can't cope, you have to give her more distance by moving her away - into a different room, or to the bottom of the garden, whatever works for her. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

4. hebs

hebs Registered Users

No she just seemed to go that way when she was about one year old. With people she knows, she kills them with kindness hahaha. I just hate her being upset.

5. hebs

hebs Registered Users

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

You have all my sympathy. Having a dog with fears is so difficult you cant help them through by explaining or reasoning with them. It's so hard to see them so anxious.

We've had to seek help form a behaviourist vet and Homer's now on medication, all the usual advise made little difference. He'll react to the slightest unexpected noise such as a car door closing nearby, builders, fireworks and thunder are traumatic. There are times I feel I need counselling myself!

7. hebs

hebs Registered Users

Thank you very much for your kind advice. Ruby is a very loved dog and I hate to see her upset.
    I will try your suggestions.
    She is my first lab and I am glad of any advice.

8. hebs

hebs Registered Users

9. hebs

hebs Registered Users