Getting attention at a distance

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Jen, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi all

Yesterday while having a go at a missing retrieve I realised that when my dogs are on a scent or looking for something or just entertaining themselves at a distance from me it's difficult to get their attention. :(

I've read the watch me article and their attention on me when they are close is good particularly scout. Scott can sometimes be away with the fairies ::).

Any tips on how I can encourage more of their attention when they are at a distance. This is not a new problem but it's become very obvious now I'm working on stop whistle. It certainly won't help with that! :(

Jen

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Getting attention at a distance

This purely works for me and is habit rather than any correct dog training advice but I make a kind of sucky noise ,I've just done it now to listen to myself and Dexter has jumped up ready for action.....it travels pretty far and whilst not fool proof it works fairly reliably( with the exception of a cat hunt).....this question has made me think ...I'm interested to see what the more 'correct' answers will because it's a really good question.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thanks Angela

I did think about making a noise that would get their attention.

Will have a go. Although with the wind we've got today itll have to be loud !!! ;D

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Do you ever hide from them? I sneak behind trees so I can see Riley but he can't see me and he does have a shock when he realises he doesn't know where I am. He keeps an eye on me after that lol :)

I also put Riley on a sit/stay and then walk round him in a circle. You're only supposed to walk when they're looking at you. I lost track how long it took me to get round the first time but his focus did improve and he watches me more than he used to :)

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yep I hide from Charlie when I'm training him, when he gets the 'go play' command I dive behind a hedge or tree in our drive and when he returns from a mooch in the shrubery he cries like a baby trying to find me and really watches out for me after that. Hattie is the same on walks, I hide behind trees and she really sticks closely afterwards as she has had to find me. You could try jumping and clapping and then blow your recall or sit whistle. Anything that gets their attention is worth a try, I have given up feeling embarrassed :eek: x

6. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The stop whistle should be the attention getter. It means sit up and look at me I'm about to ask you to do something. You shouldn't need something that preeceeds the stop whistle to get the dog's attention. :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=3548.msg39488#msg39488 date=1386234808]
    The stop whistle should be the attention getter. It means sit up and look at me I'm about to ask you to do something. You shouldn't need something that preeceeds the stop whistle to get the dog's attention. :)
    [/quote]

This must be right, but I sort of guard my stop whistle like my recall - I don't use it when I think it won't work - and that's often when Charlie has his nose in something interesting. I guess we're a work in progress!

I have to say this last 10 days of constant training, and Charlie having nothing whatsoever to do unless it involves me (not even a sniff at at a passing leaf), seems to have worked wonders. He got 5 minutes off lead on a flat football pitch this morning. Usually when I give him his release he is away. Today, dashed off, but only 5m, then bounced round and looked at me as if to say "so what are we doing then?". It was marvellous. I told him go play, he bounced round not further than 10m away, and an instant come back if I said "heel", or recalled etc. I've never experienced this much attention from him before.

Sad thing is, it'll probably wear off when we go back to "normal". I need to think about that.

8. bbrown

And that's why very serious trainers don't walk their dogs ;D

9. heidrun

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3548.msg39502#msg39502 date=1386242859]
    [/quote]

I don't see myself as a very serious trainer, but I don't walk my dogs. It would pretty much sabotage everything I train for. And that just doesn't make any sense to me. ;)

10. bbrown

Not a very serious trainer??? How's your silver polishing going? ;)

(it was meant as a compliment :) )

11. heidrun

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3548.msg39504#msg39504 date=1386243221]
    Not a very serious trainer??? How's your silver polishing going? ;)

(it was meant as a compliment :) )
    [/quote]

Thanks Barbara. :D The trophies are being engraved at the moment, I hope the silversmith is doing some serious polishing for me. ;) ;D

12. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Million dollar question Heidrun how do you make the stop whistle the attention getter? I bet a lot of us would like to know that answer. I would.

I have always found getting the attention of a Labrador when it's 'busy' difficult. ::)

I'm probably asking a stupid question but why would walking your dogs ruin your training? I know this is what working dogs do but I've always wondered why. Is it to keep them 'keen' to train and work and to avoid bad habits?

Jen :D

Ps. Sorry ment to add like Julie I wasn't sure about using the stop whistle if i knew there was a good chance it wouldnt work so they don't learn to ignore it.

I can't see my dogs ever getting this stop whistle thing certainly nothing like the video of murffi. To be honest it's the one thing I would really love to get right. Obviously recall is very important but I've never believed I could get a dog to drop to a sit at distance so I would love to do it.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=3548.msg39503#msg39503 date=1386243066]
    [/quote]

I don't see myself as a very serious trainer, but I don't walk my dogs. It would pretty much sabotage everything I train for. And that just doesn't make any sense to me. ;)
    [/quote]

Is this only relevant to people who use their dogs for working and have put endless training into them? Also it's a little easier not to walk your dog if you have the land for any free time you allow your dogs to have. There are plenty of well behaved off lead pet dogs :) I get pretty upset by the no walking concept :(

14. Dexter

I don't see myself as a very serious trainer
    [/quote]

Choked on my biscuit,you might not Heidrun,but WE DO! ;D

Jen....I had a feeling that Heidrun's answer was coming,have you seen her dogs bums hit the floor?....and I mean spaniels in full run....it's a beautiful thing ;D
    I sense another answer coming,training,practice and practice ;D .I can jog and leave dexter behind me now staying in sit ......and Im going to start wearing the whistle round the house again ( I stopped when we had people in the house)to reinforce,everytime I blow,your bum hits the floor.....but I can't see how I'll make the steps up to getting that happening 'live' outside a distance away from me....I haven't read or watched anything on that yet......

15. Dexter

I'm canceling Christmas....in favour of training my dog.....this list is getting longer!

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3548.msg39512#msg39512 date=1386244641]

I don't see myself as a very serious trainer
    [/quote]

Choked on my biscuit,you might not Heidrun,but WE DO! ;D

Jen....I had a feeling that Heidrun's answer was coming,have you seen her dogs bums hit the floor?....and I mean spaniels in full run....it's a beautiful thing ;D
    I sense another answer coming,training,practice and practice ;D .I can jog and leave dexter behind me now staying in sit ......and Im going to start wearing the whistle round the house again ( I stopped when we had people in the house)to reinforce,everytime I blow,your bum hits the floor.....but I can't see how I'll make the steps up to getting that happening 'live' outside a distance away from me....I haven't read or watched anything on that yet......
    [/quote]

Angela, thats great that you can jog on and leave Dexter sitting, we aren't at that level yet, how did you do it please as I am really stuck on that with both dogs? xx

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Yes Angela how did you do it. ???

I was just adding to my previous post about the videos of heidruns dogs when you posted. They are amazing.

I don't know if I'm doin it wrong. I keep watching Pippa's vids but if I'm not looking at the dog the sit at heel doesn't happen. I can keep walking and the dog will sit on the peep if I turn my head and look. Guess I'll keep trying that just get a crick in my neck. ;D

18. heidrun

[quote author=charlie link=topic=3548.msg39508#msg39508 date=1386244165]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Is this only relevant to people who use their dogs for working and have put endless training into them? Also it's a little easier not to walk your dog if you have the land for any free time you allow your dogs to have. There are plenty of well behaved off lead pet dogs :) I get pretty upset by the no walking concept :(
    [/quote]

No, I don't think it is only relevant to people working their dogs. I get equally upset about the staggering number of young dogs, especially spaniels and other hunting bred dogs, getting into serious trouble because of the concept of taking the dog for a walk..
    This is a very interesting article for anyone who hasn't read it yet. http://totallygundogs.com/the-trouble-with-springers-part-one/

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, I was just posting to say that of course we can, and indeed need, to take our pet dogs for walks!!! I love my walks with Poppy. Our morning walks are a haven of peace for me. I don't take a dummy or a ball with me - we just wander around in the woods together. But I am lucky with her; and she gets loads of 'work' with the OH, and with me at the weekends. I do believe though that if we didn't give her that stimulation, she would try to chase animals in the woods.

I suppose the thing is, if you buy a dog with a high prey drive, you need to be prepared to tackle that strong instinct, and to be aware that 'going for a walk' isn't going to be the answer. Or at least not the whole answer.

Helen, you encounter this on a daily basis with Charlie. It's not your fault he 'does a runner' when he sees birds or game - but it is your problem, and you are working hard on trying to combat it. It's the fault of the people who had him first, for not treating him right from the word go.

Most people, those with show labs, or labradoodles, or many other breeds of dogs, are perfectly happy with 'just' their walks. It's the dogs that were bred to fulfill other jobs than simply be companions, that need special treatment.

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That is a very interesting article thanks Heidrun.

Karen, absolutely we took Charlie on without being told of his absconding history and it is definitely a problem we did not ask for but we are working our backsides off to sort it out. I agree totally about show labs etc. my gripe is the irresponsibiity of breeders that sells 'working, hunting dogs' to a clueless family and putting them in that situation in the first place, if they took more responsibility maybe fewer of these breeds would end up in resuce centres. It makes me mad :mad: Having said that and I have said it many times before there any lots of Spaniels, Labs etc. where I live that are NOT working and are perfectly behaved off lead dogs and if they are behaved why shouldn't they be off lead?