getting in and out of car

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jools, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We are not allowed to let Guide Dog pups jump in or out until they are over six months old. The reason is their size and growing joints :)

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My dog will jump a fence on cue, has no problem jumping up on high cornish hedge/stone walls etc that are much higher than I'd ever ask him to jump - but I still lift him in and out of the car.

There are lots of good reasons to my mind. In Charlie's gundog training, I wouldn't ask him to jump a fence and land on concrete or tarmac, I wouldn't ask him to jump a fence as a standing jump close to the bottom and I wouldn't ask him to jump a fence with a mental bar of a crate inches from his face....all of these things make jumping in and out of a car different for me.

But, with the exception of landing on hard surfaces, for sure a healthy Labrador can jump in and out of a car if that's what you want to have them do.

3. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Too be fair I would never ask a dog to jump a fence or gate on to concrete or tarmac, don't get much of it in the countryside.

Ever tried getting 3 wet / muddy Labradors in the back of a suv?
    I would have go home for a change of clothing after every drive LOL.

I can understand if thats what you want to do.
    But lifting went out a long time ago for me.
    Pups OK but fully grown dogs, Noooo.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, for sure - when I'm in the country, I'll often let Charlie jump out of the car onto grass or sand, but I just think him jumping out of the back of a defender (which is quite high) onto concrete 4 or 5 times a day, 365 days a year, for 10 years....by just lifting him down, I'll save 18,250 shock impacts on his elbows. It just might be worth it when he's 10 years. Dunno of course, but it might...

And yes, I go through an awful lot of towels. And the state of the jacket arms on my waterproof have to be seen to be believed! :D:D:D

5. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

ramp is good - I hang mine on the outside of the double crate, between the crate and the van doors - so I can open van - use one hand to unhook and swing ramp out, while holding a 'perfectly behaved' (?) puppy on lead in the other or a pack of 3 adults - it means an orderly (one at a time) exit/entrance. Much easier for them to walk down a ramp and sit quietly beside Mum than to do an energetic leap. Easier in busy car parks too. Also when they get older or have an injury then they are already used to a ramp.

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

JulieT That is a frightening number of potential shock impacts on the elbows. Even if there are no real studies on the impact and possible side effects I think it's best to err on the side of caution. I have seen a report on line which links some injuries in dogs with the effects of jumping (in agility type scenarios).

FoxyLady That is well organised and much better for keeping the dogs under control

7. jools

jools Registered Users

Update:

I mainly drive a Qashqai which has a high boot. Hubbie drives an old Scenic with a lower boot.
    Eric will now happily get in the Scenic boot himself. The qashqai is far too high and we have resigned ourselves to lifting him in and out for a while yet :)