Gundog day at crufts

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Joy, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

A bit earlier I watched Phillipa Williams' gundog display (live on YouTube). Very similar to last year but still entertaining. Also saw the Gordon Setter win the group. He was a lovely dog but I think I would have picked the flat coat. Anyone else been watching?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yep, saw that.

Here she is (at a different show:(

[​IMG]

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

She looks like she has remarkably short legs! But then, I'm used to my lanky things :)

pippa@labforumHQ, Joy and Debs like this.
  5. Oberon

I like her head a lot. Nice tail and topline and lovely angles (hind end and shoulder etc). But, yeah, personally I'd add another inch to her legs. The distance from the top of the shoudler to the top of the front leg (roughly elbow area) is supposed to be the same as the distance from the top of the leg to the floor. Otherwise I like her a lot and I think she is a definite improvement on Romeo.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I quite like her too. Not perfect, but having had a dog with joint problems, I'm looking at those thighs in admiration.

The gundog group judging is starting now on 4 plus 1...

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I liked the English Setter. The Gordon had a beautifully shiny coat, he was a great soft thing on the sofa afterwards.

Jes72 likes this.
  8. Oberon

Yes, a nicely muscled butt/thigh and also shoulder.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The Gordon Setter is on now (on 4 plus 1), and now the Viszla.....so much lighter than some I see...

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh Rocheby Sensational is up...lovely gaits....

Flatcoat is lovely.

A few of the spaniels are a bit depressing....

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Funny looking Spaniels and the Lab looks too chunky and short. Loved the Gordon Setter such a character and the Flatcoat. Some funny looking little gun dogs in there. The Clumber was so short. Beautiful GSP and English Pointer just so elegant :)

12. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I really liked the Gordon, what a handsome soft boy. Rather lie d the Sussex Spaniel well. The Spinone was rather handsome
    But then I have a soft spot. The flatcoat is gorgeous but didn't do as well as last year

charlie likes this.
  13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I loved the Flatcoat , such a handsome dog, but quite pleased to see the Gordon win the group , I see a family of three of them at Golitha Falls regularly , such lovely dogs

14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I thought most of the spaniels (not the Sussex) looked miserable - where were the waggy tails? The lab looked happy enough but didn't make me want to take him home. The Flatcoat just looked so full of the joys of spring.

15. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

That's because she does have remarkably short legs.

It may seem quite a little thing, that inch or two on the leg. But it is actual a major and serious interference in the structural balance of the Labrador

This picture isn’t perfect but it gives you a rough idea of what is actually missing from the show lab. The puppy on the right is from working lines and isn’t stacked, but is not particularly tall and has normal labrador proportions.

show v work labs.jpg

I am at a complete loss to explain why show breeders are doing this to our breed. I can't see any purpose or benefit to it, and mechanically, the greater the disproportion between spine length and leg length, the greater the risk of spinal problems.

Karen, Naya, Cath and 3 others like this.
  16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, Pippa, that photo would only be fair if the camera is at the exact same distance from each dog. :)

17. pippa@labforumHQ

I know that, I am not trying to be exact, but the difference in leg length is striking

18. pippa@labforumHQ

Particularly with regard to the proportions between spine and leg

19. pippa@labforumHQ

Actually I don't think show breeders would deny that they are doing this. And I am sure it is a simple matter to find better images to illustrate the difference. But no-one seems to know why this is happening!

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think it is happening because the barrel chest requirement has been exaggerated, and the dog has to stay within the height limit. If you select for both of those requirements, you get shorter legs.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.