Gypsy - Retired Guide Dog

Discussion in 'Labradors in Service' started by Boogie, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Great news! Super-exciting!

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Saw a guide dog in training out and about in town today and thought of you :D. The dog looked just like Gypsy :D

3. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That's excellent! How lovely to go to see Gypsy working before she goes to her owner. Lots of photos if you can, please, of your visit on the 8th! :)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a day!

We went to a hotel and met Gypsy's trainer, then followed them at a distance while she worked for about twenty minutes. She was amazing, she didn't put one paw wrong. It was a very busy town and she was as steady as it's possible to be. She's only 18 months old.

She got our scent on the wind towards the end of her walk and kept looking back!

Then we met her at the hotel - she knew us instantly and jumped all over us. We gave her her presents and her trainers told us about her new owner. We spent over an hour with her.

Her new owner is a young woman in her 40s who has a very active lifestyle, she works afternoons and she has three children and a cat. Just what Gypsy needs, she's a busy, active dog. They will stay together for two weeks at the hotel while they train, going home at weekends. They start on the 18th of January. Then two more weeks training at home. Gypsy will be her first guide dog.

It was very emotional and incredibly special. She has grown up SO much and darkened a lot in colour, she's fox red now! - while her nose has pinkened even more!

I was proud and thrilled. I shed a tear as we left her, of course, but - at the same time - I can see that she's ready for an amazing job ahead of her and I wish them both all the joy in the world.

Here is a short video of our day - http://vid1106.photobucket.com/album...ng%20Gypsy.mp4

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh Mags, that's lovely - had me in tears! You must be so very proud. I so hope that her new owner stays in touch with you.

You did a good job there! :)

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So fantastic. Really glad you got to see her.

She made it! She will change her new human partner's life, I'm sure.

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh so beautiful...had a few tears myself. Gypsy looks so comfortable, you must be incredibly proud of her xx

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I keep thinking of the book, Emma and I http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emma-I-Sheila-Hocken/dp/0091943361

I read this as a kid, and then Dexter Angela sent me a copy. It's about how a Labrador changes a blind person's life - it includes a long section on Shelia meeting and getting to know Emma. Very emotional. And wonderful. :)

9. Boogie

Oh yes! She fell asleep while we were chatting to her trainer! :)

10. Boogie

Ordered!

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I hope you love it, I did.

And Emma was a choccie! :D:D:D

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Just so lovely.
    So privileged to have been able to share her story Mags x

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Gypsy did you proud Mags, what a wonderful and beautiful girl she is, I'm so happy Gypsy is going to a family she will love it and they will love her! xx :):)

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

You must be so proud of Gypsy, she is a beautiful girl who is going to make a massive difference to her new Owner's life, and that of her family. I feel very privileged to have been to watch her grow and learn through your posts and photos. Thank you for sharing x

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That's beautiful - it had me in tears too! I'm so glad your day went well. You must be very proud and pleased to know that Gypsy will make such a difference to her new owner and her family.

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

oh Mags,tears rolling down my face reading and watching,you are so good keeping us all up to date with her progress,she really is beautiful x

17. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Beautiful. Well done Gypsy, what a star. And what a brilliant start she had with you Mags. Best wishes for her working life with her new owner. They will make a great team.

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

She is just fabulous!
    Mags, I wonder if you would be able to give us some idea of a day in the life of a fully-trained guide dog? Obviously it will vary depending on the owner, how active they are and the level of their disability, but it would be really interesting to know how much time is spent actually "working" per day? From what I've heard, which may be completely wrong, they associate their harnesses with work time, so the rest of the time, they're off duty, and just regular pet dogs? How does the owner generally approach free runs with the dog? Does someone else usually come in to take them out, or does the owner take them to the park themselves? I'd imagine that could leave them feeling quite vulnerable (the human, not the dog)?

19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

She is a wonderful girl. I am sure you are so proud of her Mags. It brings tears to your eyes. Have a wonderful life Gypsy xx

20. suze12

suze12 Registered Users

Beautiful. Made me cry. What a fantastic girl Gypsy is and what a wonderful companion she will make.